Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:47:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony  (Read 942 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »

A Gen Z-loved social network which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play video games. Yes Gen Z seems to think that watching other people play video games is more fun than playing video games. They make no sense.

BRTD on Sunday Night Football:

A Gen X-loved television program which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play American Football. Yes Gen X seems to think that watching other people play football is more fun than playing football. They make no sense.

I actually don't like watching sports or football but the analogy is inane, American Football is not a sport most people can play and wouldn't be enjoyable for most people. Watching it can be enjoyable because it's a competitive event. Video games however are designed to be enjoyed by the player and single player mode (which seems to make most Twitch streams) is not exactly competitive, just keep playing until you win.

Funnily it reminds me of a movie critic abkut ten years who said one reason video game movies are usually bad is since games are an interactive medium and movies aren't, a video game based movie is like watching someone else play a video game and thus boring...and it wasn't controversial at all.
People play video games at incredibly high levels of skill that most people don't achieve, they broadcast competitions, and the competitors are paid. This is exactly like professional sports.

Outside of that real, there are other motivations for watching people play video games. A large portion of it is due to the personalities of the streamers. The actual streamer is essentially an entertainer, and if you look at who the top streamers are they all have their own personal traits the draw people in and engage them. Nobody streams straight gameplay and gets views. The streamer themselves brings something else in that makes it different from playing it yourself. Also, not everyone owns every game. Games are expensive and sometimes people are interested in a game but they don't own it and aren't able to buy it at the time being. They also might watch gameplay before deciding to buy a game or not.

I like to put on streamers in the background when I'm doing chores or writing, kinda like a radio.  

In addition, sometimes it's interesting to get others' perspectives and reactions to a game that I've already played.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies