Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Proposed Law Could Make Streaming Copyrighted Material on Twitch Without Permission a Felony  (Read 943 times)
CrimsonCommander688
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »

https://edm.com/news/proposed-law-could-make-streaming-copyrighted-material-on-twitch-without-permission-a-felony

Tillis is such douche bag.  It's time to repeal the DMCA.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »

This would basically be DMCA repeal, since the point of the DMCA takedown process, awful as it is in its own right, is precisely to avoid this sort of ludicrously punitive and cruel enforcement of muh intellectual property.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

How likely is this going to pass? Biden could also block the bill with a veto.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »

F--- these guys; they want to dictate the sort of music and other material that you listen to in accordance with its profitability.

I have little sympathy with the recording industry; it pushes schlock and tries to take individual taste and interest out of consumer choice. Content? They would push content that promotes cannibalism if it were profitable. Try finding classical music anymore. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »

It's tacked onto the must-pass omnibus spending bill. Short of Tillis withdrawing it, it's guaranteed to pass.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »

FF bill from an FF senator!

lol, Kamala Harris' husband is literally the top paid lawyer for Hollywood and other entertainment industry content creators.  There's absolutely zero chance he pushes the brakes on this
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »

North Carolina had their chance to toss this POS and didn't. You f[inked] up NC.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »

I don't use Twitch, so I think this is fine.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

North Carolina had their chance to toss this POS and didn't. You f[inked] up NC.

Ngl that's something of a non-sequitur, Cunningham winning wouldn't have stopped this bill from passing in the lame-duck.
CrimsonCommander688
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:27:05 PM »

I hope the spending bill fails.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »

What's twitch?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »

A Gen Z-loved social network which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play video games. Yes Gen Z seems to think that watching other people play video games is more fun than playing video games. They make no sense.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »

I'm genuinely interested in hearing an affirmative argument, from a relatively normal person rather than a lawyer for the MPAA or something, for imprisoning people for copyright infringement.
CrimsonCommander688
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »

If they can put crap laws that makings streaming music a felony so easily, then why it's hard to put in a provision for 1200 Dollar checks?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »

A Gen Z-loved social network which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play video games. Yes Gen Z seems to think that watching other people play video games is more fun than playing video games. They make no sense.

That’s dumb.  Why would you watch someone else play when you could just play the games yourself?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »

That’s dumb.  Why would you watch someone else play when you could just play the games yourself?

The even more bizarre thing is some people make money off it, meaning there's even cases were people pay to watch other people play video games!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2020, 07:41:38 PM »

The even more bizarre thing is some people make money off it, meaning there's even cases were people pay to watch other people play video games!

I don’t even have words...
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 12:18:41 AM »

BRTD on Sunday Night Football:

A Gen X-loved television program which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play American Football. Yes Gen X seems to think that watching other people play football is more fun than playing football. They make no sense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »

A Gen X-loved television program which lets you engage in the exciting experience of watching other people play American Football. Yes Gen X seems to think that watching other people play football is more fun than playing football. They make no sense.

I actually don't like watching sports or football but the analogy is inane, American Football is not a sport most people can play and wouldn't be enjoyable for most people. Watching it can be enjoyable because it's a competitive event. Video games however are designed to be enjoyed by the player and single player mode (which seems to make most Twitch streams) is not exactly competitive, just keep playing until you win.

Funnily it reminds me of a movie critic abkut ten years who said one reason video game movies are usually bad is since games are an interactive medium and movies aren't, a video game based movie is like watching someone else play a video game and thus boring...and it wasn't controversial at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 12:36:45 AM »

sports on TV was a thing before Gen X people were even born
NYDem

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 01:26:07 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2020, 01:49:56 AM by NY-22 Lincoln Project Voter for Brindisi »

sports on TV was a thing before Gen X people were even born

I picked Gen X because that’s the current average age of a football fan, I know sports on tv is much older than that.
NYDem

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 01:43:53 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2020, 01:53:32 AM by NY-22 Lincoln Project Voter for Brindisi »

I actually don't like watching sports or football but the analogy is inane, American Football is not a sport most people can play and wouldn't be enjoyable for most people. Watching it can be enjoyable because it's a competitive event. Video games however are designed to be enjoyed by the player and single player mode (which seems to make most Twitch streams) is not exactly competitive, just keep playing until you win.

Funnily it reminds me of a movie critic abkut ten years who said one reason video game movies are usually bad is since games are an interactive medium and movies aren't, a video game based movie is like watching someone else play a video game and thus boring...and it wasn't controversial at all.

The parallel is pretty clear. You can play football with a group of friends pretty easily. It’s fun to do. But the reason people watch the NFL is because of the much higher level of play, and the community/discussion that comes with it.

The same sort of arguments can easily be applied to video games. Video games are even easier to play yourself than most sports, but the same sort of talent disparity exists. Communities not all that dissimilar to sports team fan groups exist around streamers for the same reasons.

To respond to something you said earlier, a whole lot of streaming is in “competitive events” (multiplayer games) which are directly analagous to other televised competitions, although I’m not sure of the proportions. In addition many popular streamers of single player content speedrun games, so while they are not directly playing against someone, they are still competing in a similar sort of way that a competitive swimmer or racer does.

I feel like you not seeing the parallels comes from not understanding what makes streaming games popular. I’m obviously not saying you’re wrong to not enjoy this stuff, but saying it’s “crazy” or “makes no sense” seems unnecessarily judgemental.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 02:13:26 AM »

This would basically be DMCA repeal, since the point of the DMCA takedown process, awful as it is in its own right, is precisely to avoid this sort of ludicrously punitive and cruel enforcement of muh intellectual property.

The DMCA sucks, but they already tried to replace it with something worse with SOPA. And they did recently pass SESTA, which made things worse.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 05:34:43 AM »

I wonder how long before Disney gets Congress to extend copyright laws once again. The copyright over Steamboat Willie is set to expire January 1, 2024.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 09:20:38 AM »

People play video games at incredibly high levels of skill that most people don't achieve, they broadcast competitions, and the competitors are paid. This is exactly like professional sports.

Outside of that real, there are other motivations for watching people play video games. A large portion of it is due to the personalities of the streamers. The actual streamer is essentially an entertainer, and if you look at who the top streamers are they all have their own personal traits the draw people in and engage them. Nobody streams straight gameplay and gets views. The streamer themselves brings something else in that makes it different from playing it yourself. Also, not everyone owns every game. Games are expensive and sometimes people are interested in a game but they don't own it and aren't able to buy it at the time being. They also might watch gameplay before deciding to buy a game or not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies