S.20.4.10 - Enforcing Our Laws [SIGNED]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:15:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.4.10 - Enforcing Our Laws [SIGNED]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.4.10 - Enforcing Our Laws [SIGNED]  (Read 628 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »
« edited: January 15, 2021, 10:35:32 AM by DTC »

AN ACT
To support federal officers in enforcing our laws

Section 1: Naming and Definitions.

I. The name of this act shall be: "Enforcing Our Laws"
II. "Sanctuary cities" is defined as a city whose municipal laws protect illegal immigrants against deportation, prosecution, or cooperation with federal immigration authority.

Section 2: End Sanctuary Cities

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement.

Section 3: Religious Protection

I. Southern law enforcement will not carry out immigration arrests on property owned by religious groups.

Section 4: Immigration Statement

I. The southern chamber declares, "The south welcomes all immigrants who come to the south legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

Sponsor: DTC

Minimum 72 hours to debate.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »

More racism and xenophobia from the Fasci--I mean Federalist Party.

Not a chance in hell.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »

Not a chance in hell.

I. The southern chamber declares, "The south welcomes all immigrants who come to the south legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

Can you explain what is racist or xenophobic about this statement? There is nothing racist or xenophobic about enforcing our laws.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »

Having supported the previous attempt to pass comparable legislation, I will support this bill.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:47 AM »

Not a chance in hell.

Can you explain what is racist or xenophobic about this statement? There is nothing racist or xenophobic about enforcing our laws.

KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »

Isn't being a "sanctuary city" perfectly compatible with federal law? I mean, isn't the whole purpose of being a sanctuary city the fact that municipalities cannot charge people with the crime of being an illegal immigrant? They can still alert national authorities if they suspect something, but as far as I'm concerned, cities shouldn't have that right.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »

https://americasvoice.org/blog/what-is-a-sanctuary-city/

“Sanctuary cities” is actually a misnomer. While many Americans believe that it refers to a city that doesn’t prosecute immigrants, so-called “sanctuary cities” actually refer to something far more specific.

There’s no single definition of what is a sanctuary city, but generally speaking, it’s a city (or a county, or a state) that limits its cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents in order to protect low-priority immigrants from deportation, while still turning over those who have committed serious crimes. This is why we prefer the term “safe cities”.

So essentially, it looks like the primary definition/belief used is that it is limiting cooperation with the federal government. Considering how in Atlasia, the federal government has taken a pretty pro-immigration stance with pathways to citizenship, I don't have a problem with the wording of this bill as I think the federal guidelines in Atlasia are something that all should abide by. This really feels like a resolution instead of an act, just stating support for federal policies.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »

https://americasvoice.org/blog/what-is-a-sanctuary-city/

“Sanctuary cities” is actually a misnomer. While many Americans believe that it refers to a city that doesn’t prosecute immigrants, so-called “sanctuary cities” actually refer to something far more specific.

There’s no single definition of what is a sanctuary city, but generally speaking, it’s a city (or a county, or a state) that limits its cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents in order to protect low-priority immigrants from deportation, while still turning over those who have committed serious crimes. This is why we prefer the term “safe cities”.

So essentially, it looks like the primary definition/belief used is that it is limiting cooperation with the federal government. Considering how in Atlasia, the federal government has taken a pretty pro-immigration stance with pathways to citizenship, I don't have a problem with the wording of this bill as I think the federal guidelines in Atlasia are something that all should abide by. This really feels like a resolution instead of an act, just stating support for federal policies.

I mean, city governments already don't do that anyways, sanctuary or not. The difference between a normal city and a sanctuary city is that one officially endorses the fact that municipal police officers can't convict someone on the sole basis of being an illegal immigrant, while the other doesn't endorse it but still does it anyways as that's already how the law works. Unless if Atlasian law and American law differ vastly in this regard, which I'm 99% sure is untrue anyways, banning sanctuary cities is outright pointless. The actual legal definition of "sanctuary city" varies vastly from the vague definition you'd see on Google, where Sec. 1.2 of this act is copy/pasted from. Municipal authorities can still alert the federal government of a potential illegal alien, but they cannot do anything about it.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 10:48:15 AM »

This isn't even our jurisdiction.  It's the federal Atlasian government's duty to worry about this.

I say again:  not a chance in Heil.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »

This isn't even our jurisdiction.  It's the federal Atlasian government's duty to worry about this.

I say again:  not a chance in Heil.

Given how local police is handled by NPCs, I would argue that this is the kind of bill that regions would be passing? In real life of course this might be handled by local governments but this is Atlasia and we need stuff to legislate on Tongue

But as a Senator I certainly can't see stuff like sanctuary cities being an issue to be decided by the federal government; it should be left to the regions.

This is regardless of whether you think sanctuary cities are a good or bad idea on their merits which I won't get into; but this is certainly in the jurisdiction of the regional government.

Though if you feel it is a federal responsability feel free to sue the region if this passes.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »

Immigration is a federal issue across the board, really.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »

Immigration is a federal issue across the board, really.
That's really the point of the bill - to reinforce that immigration is a federal issue, not an issue that local municipalities can disregard. This bill isn't attempting to legislate on immigration, merely state that no one except the federal government can legislate/enforce it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 07:00:42 PM »

I am motioning for a final vote.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 02:11:44 PM »

This will now be moving to a final vote. 72 hours to vote
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »

I vote AYE
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 02:30:28 PM »

I agree with Harvey that is is solely a federal issue and that is what this promotes - Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »

With 3 Aye's - 2 Abstains, this vote has passed and now goes to the Governor's desk for signing.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 03:11:01 AM »

AN ACT
To support federal officers in enforcing our laws

Section 1: Naming and Definitions.

I. The name of this act shall be: "Enforcing Our Laws"
II. "Sanctuary cities" is defined as a city whose municipal laws protect illegal immigrants against deportation, prosecution, or cooperation with federal immigration authority.

Section 2: End Sanctuary Cities

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement.

Section 3: Religious Protection

I. Southern law enforcement will not carry out immigration arrests on property owned by religious groups.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies