Gamergate long-term political effects ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:47:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gamergate long-term political effects ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gamergate long-term political effects ?  (Read 917 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »

Gamergate was an interent controversy that started initatly regarding "concerns of ethics in game journalism" regarding a relationship between a video game reviewer and developer but susipiosnly consigned with various anti-woman campaigns by video game fans against prominent personalities in the industry.

Despite being a scandal that I would be surprised if even 1% of US citizens could name a number of promimnet right-wing personality came out of the scandal including Milo Yinnapolis and it did form a sort of entry into the mainstream by various alt-right figures.

Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »

Gamergate probably didn't have any real direct pollical effects (other than Brianna Wu running for Congress), but it definitely helped give rise to the "anti-SJW" crowd and rhetoric, so the "online right" would probably look quite different. Candace Owens in particular never would have become notable if not for GG, as she was an irrelevant progressive blogger before swinging hard right and embracing it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »

Gamergate probably didn't have any real direct pollical effects (other than Brianna Wu running for Congress), but it definitely helped give rise to the "anti-SJW" crowd and rhetoric, so the "online right" would probably look quite different. Candace Owens in particular never would have become notable if not for GG, as she was an irrelevant progressive blogger before swinging hard right and embracing it.

The term "SJW" has its origins in Gamergate, and "woke" has its origins in the discourse that Gamergate spawned, if not from the movement directly. Just as importantly, it created a pathway for the Right to appeal to disaffected young (mostly, but not entirely, white) men by telling them that the Left rejected them for who they were. It was also the point at which Channer/Gamer culture shifted from being predominately apolitical or left-leaning to being right-wing. It was, sadly, hugely important, for reasons far beyond its immediate implications.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »

I literally only know what Gamergate is from the alt-right video/song "We Didn't Start the Movement"
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »

It made some games a lot more terrible and pandering. It also destroyed any trust in gaming reviewers and media. I think most gamers realize now this space is big enough for SWM perverts to trans people.

As for politically, well it gave us Sargon's attempted reviving of UKIP, lol. But mostly it ended up with the IDW and a strong standing against PC culture (politically correct, not personal computer) and censorship online.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »

I literally only know what Gamergate is from the alt-right video/song "We Didn't Start the Movement"

Chris Ray Gun's "We didn't start the SocJus" was better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkXCsqJee0
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »

While to make the argument gamergate lead to Trump winning is a stretch it is fair to say GG created the environment and a lot of the rhetoric that Trumpism became
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »

No effect, other than a strong sense of personal shame for all involved.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »

It took five years to be distilled into boomer racist uncle Facebook memes.

But it was always cringe.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »

Gamergate was an interent controversy that started initatly regarding "concerns of ethics in game journalism" regarding a relationship between a video game reviewer and developer but susipiosnly consigned with various anti-woman campaigns by video game fans against prominent personalities in the industry.

Very charitable description of a campaign of vile threats of violence, rape, and death directed at several women, for existing.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »

Out of the split of the New Atheist online crowd provided the wick to Gamergate’s spark to produce Breadtube, which lasted like 2-3 years before itself shrank to be exposed as an empty husk. It got grifters a way to enter the mainstream whining about women and cultural change while also providing a reaction of creating a few progressive and social democratic onlookers.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »

I don't think there's much effect on politics but it's definitely had an effect on video games.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »

Very charitable description of a campaign of vile threats of violence, rape, and death directed at several women, for existing.
yeah probably should amend it to say that the whole thing was based on a lie and pretty quickly either became/reavled themselves to be misongynistds.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »

This call back to a joke that had died out years earlier is spreading with a kind of desperate ferocity: as the day goes on, there is more and more to see, videos of a mushroom cloud over Taiwan, of a highway on fire in the south of France, Abuja burning, Harare burning, riots in São Paulo, in Natchez, waves of death everywhere, flurries of gun suicides, a mass shooting in West Virginia, then five more mass shootings within the hour, California, Arizona, New Hampshire, two in Florida, then a group suicide in Iowa, another in Belize, corpses around the world with jaws clenched, with jaws snapped wide open, with no discernable jaw, piles of the dead, screaming and fleeing humans, some actually burning as they run, dead or dying human heads screencapped and pegged to the same text:

Actually it’s about ethics in gaming journalism.
Mark Doten, Trump Sky Alpha

Gamergate was not itself a particularly important event — who cares what nerds think about their computer games — but I think it was an inflection point for a lot of the modern Online body politic. The details don't really matter, since the dominoes were all in order for some kind of conflict like it to happen at some point in some form (maybe about video games, maybe about some Marvel movie, idk), but it feels like that was when things really started to get weird. It will feature prominently in the eventual history of the culture wars.
I think that along with Sad Puppies marks the first inflection point in terms of the right-wing culture wars.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2020, 07:37:52 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Well, it was the moment when I realized that the internet wasn't fun anymore and served as a canary in the coal mine for social media poisoning peoples' minds and being an overall detriment to society, especially with how it helped make obnoxious terms like "SJW's" and "virtue signaling" more mainstream thus ruining public discourse too. So, as absurd as it may sound, it did have some serious implications.

Also it made me embarrassed to identify myself as a "gamer" from then on. I started feeling ashamed for even mildly associating with an internet community that has misogynistic and reactionary tendencies.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »

Y'all are really overestimating how important gamergate was.  Like Sargon of Akkad when he thought he could get Trump to talk about the movement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies