How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:57:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?  (Read 1621 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:36 AM »

Because constitutional status changes based on thin referendum majorities are such a good idea. Roll Eyes

For comparison, Alaska voted 83-17 in favor of statehood (the second time, the first time it was close-ish and it fizzled), and Hawaii voted almost unanimously in favor of statehood.

I'm sure the last thing that the pro-statehood majority of Puerto Ricans want to hear is some other Americans who do get representation in Congress deciding that (contrary to general American precedent) their majority isn't enough.

Worth noting that, even if you do genuinely believe that a 52-48 with low-ish turnout is a good enough mandate for sweeping constitutional changes (on why this is a bad idea see: Brexit); I will never fail to remind people that PR has an anti-statehood territorial legislature.

So admitting PR as a state sets up immediately a constitutional crisis when PR's territorial legislature simply refuses to write a state constitution.

The pro-statehood governor they elected at the same time as choosing to break their chains of oppression can call a state convention to get it done, and then they will elect a new state legislature under their state constitution.

This will take time, and that's fine. Puerto Rico won't be a state in early 2021 like Douglass will be if Warnock and Ossoff win.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »

Worth noting that, even if you do genuinely believe that a 52-48 with low-ish turnout is a good enough mandate for sweeping constitutional changes (on why this is a bad idea see: Brexit); I will never fail to remind people that PR has an anti-statehood territorial legislature.

So admitting PR as a state sets up immediately a constitutional crisis when PR's territorial legislature simply refuses to write a state constitution.

The pro-statehood governor they elected at the same time as choosing to break their chains of oppression can call a state convention to get it done, and then they will elect a new state legislature under their state constitution.

This will take time, and that's fine. Puerto Rico won't be a state in early 2021 like Douglass will be if Warnock and Ossoff win.

I took a quick look at the PR territorial constitution and I can't find any clause where the governor is allowed to call a convention? (Much less so unilaterally; I imagine some sort of legislature approval would be needed)

And that does not even consider that the PR governor has an incredibly weak mandate, getting under 1/3 of the vote in a tight 4 way election!
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »

Because constitutional status changes based on thin referendum majorities are such a good idea. Roll Eyes

For comparison, Alaska voted 83-17 in favor of statehood (the second time, the first time it was close-ish and it fizzled), and Hawaii voted almost unanimously in favor of statehood.

I'm sure the last thing that the pro-statehood majority of Puerto Ricans want to hear is some other Americans who do get representation in Congress deciding that (contrary to general American precedent) their majority isn't enough.

That is how it has always worked, yes. The elected representatives of other states get to decide on admitting new states to join them. An advisory referendum is basically a straw poll that, at best, provides a mandate for serious discussions to start.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

Honestly, who cares? They'll never give him an inch regardless how much he bends over backwards for them. This forum is additional proof.

He could ignore his mandate to do otherwise and instead govern as a center - right Republican, and even then conservatives and Trump supporters would fight him.

He should frankly do absolutely no more and to give loan information on Fox viewing voters the impression that he's bipartisan, and otherwise take every conceivable step to curb stomp the opposition in getting his agenda passed.

Republicans will undoubtedly whine and whimper at this characterization, because they absolutely hate it when Democrats start to play hardball like them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies