How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:55:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How will Joe Biden reach out to conservatives/Trump supporters?  (Read 1601 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »

What steps or actions will Biden take to reach out to conservatives and Trump supporters? He said he would be a President for all Americans, regardless of if you voted for him or not. What will he do to help out conservatives and Trump supporters?

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 04:15:29 PM »

If he would like to reach out to Trump supporters he should consider not going directly back to free trade, and try to keep some protectionist policies. Also don't try to pack the court and go for DC statehood. He's a Dem so I'm really not expecting much more than that.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »

He won't be petty & vindictive towards them just because they didn't vote for him. Unlike how a certain somebody handled problems (e.g., hurricanes, wildfires, COVID) in blue states over these last 4 years, President Biden isn't gonna be ignoring problems in red states just because they're red states. He also won't purposely stoke divisions & claim that everybody who didn't vote for him is evil either, so that'll be another breath of fresh air too.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »

Total non-starter. Denying American citizens representation in Congress is an affront to American values, regardless if it hurts delicate Republican feelings.

There are pieces of the platform that can be compromised on, but this is not one of them. We absolutely must unshackle the second-class citizens in our territories (many of whom would vote for your side if you didn't racistly write them off like McConnell and McSally publicly have) and allow them to have the same say in our nation that the citizens in the states do, or we are total fraud country who has no legitimacy to criticize any oppression anywhere in the world.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »

I haven't seen anything that he will be as vindictive as Trump so I highly doubt he will get into dumb fights
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

He won't be petty & vindictive towards them just because they didn't vote for him. Unlike how a certain somebody handled problems (e.g., hurricanes, wildfires, COVID) in blue states over these last 4 years, President Biden isn't gonna be ignoring problems in red states just because they're red states. He also won't purposely stoke divisions & claim that everybody who didn't vote for him is evil either, so that'll be another breath of fresh air too.

Trump did a terrible job reaching out to the left on rhetoric. But he reached out to left of center people through the USMCA, criminal justice reform, opportunity zones, stimulus checks, and expanding government spending.

How will Biden reach out to right of center people through actual policy? Policy > Rhetoric in my eyes
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »

Perhaps he will make an unequivocal statement that blackballing, harassing, doxxing, and "retribution" seeking from ordinary Trump supporters is out of bounds and that he will have nothing to do with anyone who does that or advocates that.  He can also specifically call out those that already have done this to let them know that he doesn't view that as acceptable.

His "lower the temperature" is garbage.  It's his supporters that ratcheted it up, particularly those in his ranks who give aid and comfort to BLM and Antifa.  Perhaps he can finally disavow BLM and Antifa and cite their criminality as the reason.  Short of that, no Trump supporter would be willing to "give Biden a chance" even on a personal level.  Biden, truthfully, is NOT a "nice person" and has not generated that sort of good will.

Biden's supporters voted for him, presumably, because they agree with him on policy.  His coalition groups do have conflicting goals, so I expect him to concentrate on them first.  That's fair.  He CAN do what I've suggested without compromising on policy.  I doubt he has the courage to do so, and I really do view the current version of Biden as a Senile Coward.  But I would be moved enough to "give him a chance" on a personal level if he does what I've written here.  It would show a willingness to anger supporters for supporting something wrong while standing up for something right.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2020, 06:08:10 PM by Torie »

Biden is in a position where he has a lot of latitude in doing what he thinks is the right thing. The man is sane. Sane people at his stage in life are most concerned about their legacy, and conscience, not their future electoral prospects. It is tough challenge he has, but I think in my gut his instincts are right, and that he has courage, and with some luck, I feel things are up the upswing, and with less depression and anxiety. So I think he will try to reach out, knowing full well, that the effort is the thing, not whether it will fulfill his hopes.

The range of real policy options I don't are as broad as the fray suggests going forward. It is more about building a bit more trust.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »

His "lower the temperature" is garbage.  It's his supporters that ratcheted it up, particularly those in his ranks who give aid and comfort to BLM and Antifa.  Perhaps he can finally disavow BLM and Antifa and cite their criminality as the reason.  Short of that, no Trump supporter would be willing to "give Biden a chance" even on a personal level.  Biden, truthfully, is NOT a "nice person" and has not generated that sort of good will.

The democratic base definitely ratcheted it up a lot, but Trump bears a lot of the responsibility as well. He has a very combative style and never apologizes. If I acted like that in the workforce, people would can me pretty fast.

My Trump supporting parents are some of the most derangedly partisan people I've ever met. And they've only gotten worse since Trump because they take a lot of cues from him
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »

He will condemn the rioters, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Stalin, Hitler, Richard Spencer, and Antifa.

https://twitter.com/thistallawkgirl/status/1337931977069113345 (NSFW)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »

Trump did a terrible job reaching out to the left on rhetoric. But he reached out to left of center people through the USMCA, criminal justice reform, opportunity zones, stimulus checks, and expanding government spending.

How will Biden reach out to right of center people through actual policy? Policy > Rhetoric in my eyes

Well, for one thing, there's the Buy American aspect of the "Build Back Better" agenda, which jibes pretty well with Trump's own nationalist approach to trade in terms of being a populist economic vision that would leverage trade, tax, & investment policy to spur domestic innovation, reduce our reliance on foreign manufacturing, & create millions of additional American manufacturing & innovation jobs. There's also his plans to end the opioid epidemic & fight for a sweeping infrastructure package, which is perpetually eyed as a possible area of bipartisan compromise.

The problem, of course, is that even though they most definitely are being reached out to, many people on the right-of-center won't & will never feel as if they're being reached out to (let alone would they ever legitimately care about being reached out to anyway because, for many of them, "owning the libz" is more important than anything else & working with anybody on the left-of-center is intolerable, even if failing to do so would come at the cost of their legitimate policy goals) because we no longer even have a shared sense of political reality as a result of where we're getting our truth from. You can't change that from even the best of "reaching out." Biden could literally declare himself a Trumpist, govern as a populist/protectionist/isolationist/nationalist, cut all of the taxes, repeal Obamacare, appoint only Federalist Society-approved judges, do nothing on (or even actively precipitate) climate change, re-open as much of the economy as he immediately could (COVID be damned), fire Fauci, etc., & it wouldn't be changed. You have to get them to accept reality as real, & good luck on that without some big, structural changes to our society.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 06:33:22 PM »

His "lower the temperature" is garbage.  It's his supporters that ratcheted it up, particularly those in his ranks who give aid and comfort to BLM and Antifa.  Perhaps he can finally disavow BLM and Antifa and cite their criminality as the reason.  Short of that, no Trump supporter would be willing to "give Biden a chance" even on a personal level.  Biden, truthfully, is NOT a "nice person" and has not generated that sort of good will.

The democratic base definitely ratcheted it up a lot, but Trump bears a lot of the responsibility as well. He has a very combative style and never apologizes. If I acted like that in the workforce, people would can me pretty fast.

My Trump supporting parents are some of the most derangedly partisan people I've ever met. And they've only gotten worse since Trump because they take a lot of cues from him

Trump's leaving office.  He's been combative because if he were not so, it would be open season on both Trump and his supporters.

Let me use this time to share what many ordinary Trump supporters are concerned about.  These are my concerns, but I know others share them:

^^^We believe that Biden will be fine with the massive blackballing of Trump supporters in education and employment solely because they were/are Trump supporters, something that would be unprecedented.

^^^We believe that Biden will end homeschooling and Charter Schools.  My son was horribly bullied at his unsafe public school.  The school system did nothing, and did not enforce his Individual Education Plan for his special needs.  He's currently home schooled.  Biden is captive to the NEA, and we are concerned that he will end measures we take to not only best enable our children to learn, but to keep them SAFE as well.  (Public schools are unsafe for a significant number of students, but the NEA stooges, including "Doctor" Jill Biden, are in total denial of this, or are lying about this.)

^^^We believe that Biden will use whatever power he can to punish the Church.  Lockdowns will be aimed at churches (but not weed dispensaries).  Churches will be mandated to hire employees that do not live a Christian lifestyle, even for positions of teaching and instruction.  Pastors will be mandated to conduct SSM ceremonies regardless of Scripture or of conscience.  Indeed, there are elements of Biden's supporters that seek to classify much of Scripture as "hate speech".  

Let Biden discuss these issues.  After that, we'll see.  I'm curious to hear from Biden, himself, which of these things he will refrain from doing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »

^^^We believe that Biden will be fine with the massive blackballing of Trump supporters in education and employment solely because they were/are Trump supporters, something that would be unprecedented.

^^^We believe that Biden will end homeschooling and Charter Schools.  My son was horribly bullied at his unsafe public school.  The school system did nothing, and did not enforce his Individual Education Plan for his special needs.  He's currently home schooled.  Biden is captive to the NEA, and we are concerned that he will end measures we take to not only best enable our children to learn, but to keep them SAFE as well.  (Public schools are unsafe for a significant number of students, but the NEA stooges, including "Doctor" Jill Biden, are in total denial of this, or are lying about this.)

^^^We believe that Biden will use whatever power he can to punish the Church.  Lockdowns will be aimed at churches (but not weed dispensaries).  Churches will be mandated to hire employees that do not live a Christian lifestyle, even for positions of teaching and instruction.  Pastors will be mandated to conduct SSM ceremonies regardless of Scripture or of conscience.  Indeed, there are elements of Biden's supporters that seek to classify much of Scripture as "hate speech". 

Get off Facebook. Get off Newsbusters. They have totally warped your mind. Nobody in the Democratic Party, least of all Joe Biden, would do any of those things even if he could.

Forcing churches to perform gay marriage? Give me a break...
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 06:47:37 PM »

Trump's leaving office.  He's been combative because if he were not so, it would be open season on both Trump and his supporters.

Sorry chief, but I don't buy this. Trump would have had a 50%+ approval rating in Jan 2020 if he was nicer. Part of leading a country is unifying everyone. Being an asshole didn't help Trump pass tax cuts or do the USMCA or do criminal justice reform. (MAYBE you can make the argument it helped with USMCA, but definitely not tax cuts or CJR)

It's one thing to occasionally be an honest asshole to get things done. It's another to tweet like a Teenage girl 24/7. On one day he tweeted 100 times!!! I don't even have time to tweet once in a day!

And I very nearly voted for Trump, so it's best that people like you listen to what people like me have to say if you want your party to earn my vote. I don't give my vote out for free; you have to earn it. There's a couple of things that Trump could have done better that would have led me to vote for him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »

Sorry chief, but I don't buy this. Trump would have had a 50%+ approval rating in Jan 2020 if he was nicer. Part of leading a country is unifying everyone. Being an asshole didn't help Trump pass tax cuts or do the USMCA or do criminal justice reform. (MAYBE you can make the argument it helped with USMCA, but definitely not tax cuts or CJR)

It's one thing to occasionally be an honest asshole to get things done. It's another to tweet like a Teenage girl 24/7. On one day he tweeted 100 times!!! I don't even have time to tweet once in a day!

And I very nearly voted for Trump, so it's best that people like you listen to what people like me have to say if you want your party to earn my vote. I don't give my vote out for free; you have to earn it. There's a couple of things that Trump could have done better that would have led me to vote for him.

I was the youngest member of my county's Democratic Committee in history at the time I was appointed to a vacancy.  I was an activist Democrat in my 20s, and I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans for President.  I've voted for FAR more Democrats than Republicans in my lifetime, and I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans when I became a registered Republican in 1995.  So think about the fact that Donald Trump is only one of three Republicans I've voted for at the Presidential level and the only one I've voted for twice.

But, yes, I do believe that Trump's tweeting and his unnecessary attacks cost him.  He is example of more not always being better.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

^^^We believe that Biden will end homeschooling and Charter Schools.  My son was horribly bullied at his unsafe public school.  The school system did nothing, and did not enforce his Individual Education Plan for his special needs.  He's currently home schooled.  Biden is captive to the NEA, and we are concerned that he will end measures we take to not only best enable our children to learn, but to keep them SAFE as well.  (Public schools are unsafe for a significant number of students, but the NEA stooges, including "Doctor" Jill Biden, are in total denial of this, or are lying about this.)

^^^We believe that Biden will use whatever power he can to punish the Church.  Lockdowns will be aimed at churches (but not weed dispensaries).  Churches will be mandated to hire employees that do not live a Christian lifestyle, even for positions of teaching and instruction.  Pastors will be mandated to conduct SSM ceremonies regardless of Scripture or of conscience.  Indeed, there are elements of Biden's supporters that seek to classify much of Scripture as "hate speech". 

Get off Facebook. Get off Newsbusters. They have totally warped your mind. Nobody in the Democratic Party, least of all Joe Biden, would do any of those things even if he could.

Forcing churches to perform gay marriage? Give me a break...

To be fair, punishing churches that don't support gay marriage was proposed by Beto O'Rourke (who's nominally Catholic...) as part of his attempted dead cat bounce for his campaign.

It was a stupid thing to say and it does hurt the Democratic Party's image. But even Warren came out and denounced that idea.

The problem is that Republicans double down on their idiocies. If the shoe was on the other foot, Republicans would find any possible way to rationalize or get around the issue while the moderates show "concern" for a candidate proposing such a stupid idea, whether it was for political expediency or not.

Because the GOP is not a policy party; they are akin to a large business competing against another large business. People simply hold Democrats to higher standards, so Beto's comments go viral and fuel the anger in this country that keeps getting Republicans elected.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »

I think it will be awhile before the dust settles and your target audience even wants to be reached out to. They think Biden is illegitimate. The election was stolen. How do you reason with people like that?

Just do the best Biden can and lump in the laggers in with all the rest of us and get things done that benefit the most people.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »

I was the youngest member of my county's Democratic Committee in history at the time I was appointed to a vacancy.  I was an activist Democrat in my 20s, and I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans for President.  I've voted for FAR more Democrats than Republicans in my lifetime, and I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans when I became a registered Republican in 1995.  So think about the fact that Donald Trump is only one of three Republicans I've voted for at the Presidential level and the only one I've voted for twice.

But, yes, I do believe that Trump's tweeting and his unnecessary attacks cost him.  He is example of more not always being better.

I actually think Trump is the best Republican candidate since George H W Bush. But that's more of a condemnation of Bob Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney than approval of Trump. Trump is alright - he updated the GOP to be a lot better on some important issues, but he also had the side effect of making them a lot more open to conspiracy theories and has made them lose trust in government. I think a lot of educated people are very turned off by the conspiracy theories and the lack of trust in our institutions/agreement on facts
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 10:43:04 PM »

Obama tried to get chained CPI but Republicans didn't actually want it, so neoliberals are kind of bad at these thing.
I Stand With TRKL1917
Pineville Jeb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 11:07:41 PM »

Total non-starter. Denying American citizens representation in Congress is an affront to American values, regardless if it hurts delicate Republican feelings.

There are pieces of the platform that can be compromised on, but this is not one of them. We absolutely must unshackle the second-class citizens in our territories (many of whom would vote for your side if you didn't racistly write them off like McConnell and McSally publicly have) and allow them to have the same say in our nation that the citizens in the states do, or we are total fraud country who has no legitimacy to criticize any oppression anywhere in the world.

Puerto Rico should not be a state. It should be an independent country under an Anti-Imperialist, Socialist regime.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »

Puerto Rico should not be a state. It should be an independent country under an Anti-Imperialist, Socialist regime.

If the Puerto Rican people want that, sure. However, the Puerto Rican people voted to become a state on 11/3/2020, and if we don't respect that, we no longer deserve to be held up as a good example of a free country.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 01:34:00 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2020, 01:37:10 AM by Reaganfan Democrat »

If the Puerto Rican people want that, sure. However, the Puerto Rican people voted to become a state on 11/3/2020, and if we don't respect that, we no longer deserve to be held up as a good example of a free country.

Because constitutional status changes based on thin referendum majorities are such a good idea. Roll Eyes

For comparison, Alaska voted 83-17 in favor of statehood (the second time, the first time it was close-ish and it fizzled), and Hawaii voted almost unanimously in favor of statehood.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 04:06:39 AM »

Because constitutional status changes based on thin referendum majorities are such a good idea. Roll Eyes

For comparison, Alaska voted 83-17 in favor of statehood (the second time, the first time it was close-ish and it fizzled), and Hawaii voted almost unanimously in favor of statehood.

Worth noting that, even if you do genuinely believe that a 52-48 with low-ish turnout is a good enough mandate for sweeping constitutional changes (on why this is a bad idea see: Brexit); I will never fail to remind people that PR has an anti-statehood territorial legislature.

So admitting PR as a state sets up immediately a constitutional crisis when PR's territorial legislature simply refuses to write a state constitution.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 04:24:02 AM »

In addition to Infrastructure week and buy American, I've previously outlined a number of areas there might be bipartisan agreement with Trump voters, if not with Republican politicians.

1.Addressing the opioid epidemic and  making some alterations to Obamacare.

2.Legalizing marijuana in states that want it to be legal.

3.Continuing to combat China but in a much more strategic way

4.Focusing advanced education more on apprenticeships and skills training

5.Not being captured by 'big ag.'  The nomination of Tom Vilsack suggests the Biden Administration will be captured by big ag.

6.More focus on corporate and white collar crime and addressing 'big (inter)net.'

I would also hope rhetorically for a smarter approach, explaining how helping minorities ultimately helps everybody.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »

Let me use this time to share what many ordinary Trump supporters are concerned about.  These are my concerns, but I know others share them:

^^^We believe that Biden will end homeschooling and Charter Schools.  My son was horribly bullied at his unsafe public school.  The school system did nothing, and did not enforce his Individual Education Plan for his special needs.  He's currently home schooled.  Biden is captive to the NEA, and we are concerned that he will end measures we take to not only best enable our children to learn, but to keep them SAFE as well.  (Public schools are unsafe for a significant number of students, but the NEA stooges, including "Doctor" Jill Biden, are in total denial of this, or are lying about this.)

^^^We believe that Biden will use whatever power he can to punish the Church.  Lockdowns will be aimed at churches (but not weed dispensaries).  Churches will be mandated to hire employees that do not live a Christian lifestyle, even for positions of teaching and instruction.  Pastors will be mandated to conduct SSM ceremonies regardless of Scripture or of conscience.  Indeed, there are elements of Biden's supporters that seek to classify much of Scripture as "hate speech".  

Let Biden discuss these issues.  After that, we'll see.  I'm curious to hear from Biden, himself, which of these things he will refrain from doing.

The problem at hand is that you believe these things, not that Biden will do them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies