IL: Will corruption be the theme in '06 as it was in '02
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:49:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL: Will corruption be the theme in '06 as it was in '02
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL: Will corruption be the theme in '06 as it was in '02  (Read 1279 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:05:39 PM »

Accusations and insinuations about the IL administration and its practices have been common for many months. The level of interest has been turned up a notch today.

From ABC7 Chicago (with similar reports on many other news sites):
You must be logged in to read this quote.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »

I admit some surprise that no one on site has any thoughts on this. I know that IL is underrepresented on the forum as a percentage of the general population, but this is pretty big news here. The Chicago Tribune made it the banner story over the weekend.

This is the start of Sunday's story:
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:53:03 PM »

I admit some surprise that no one on site has any thoughts on this. I know that IL is underrepresented on the forum as a percentage of the general population, but this is pretty big news here. The Chicago Tribune made it the banner story over the weekend.

This is the start of Sunday's story:

But let's see what else in your Republican newspaper.

Ouch, even your Republican newspaper is unloading on your buddy Denny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0606180254jun18,1,4341439.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:06:12 PM »

Hastert's not in the Gov's race last I checked. It might be a good post over on the Congressional board.

Also my first post was not from the Trib, but from Channel 7. There are stories that ran from Rockford to Carbondale over the weekend, so I'd say the base is pretty broad. The Gov is trying to portray the story as an old one that was addressed after the 2004 report, but that doesn't match well with the contents of the letter from the prosecutor.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »

Muon, old boy, by NM standards this isn't a big deal. Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:25:09 PM »

His opponent is a Bush crony, so corruption won't fly as an isssue.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:43:14 PM »

His opponent is a Bush crony, so corruption won't fly as an isssue.

Yes, I would think Illinois would choose a corrupt Democrat over the recipient of Bush's current two-day campaign swing in the state any day.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 12:08:06 AM »

Sounds like your state needs a visit from Mr. Patrick Fitzgerald. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 05:59:08 PM »

Sounds like your state needs a visit from Mr. Patrick Fitzgerald. Smiley

It wouldn't hurt. Wink "Patronage 'R Us", truly... Roll Eyes
ill ind

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 02:03:03 PM »

Looks like we will have one very close and very divisive contest here in Illinois.  I don't think people from outside of the state have any idea how much the incumbent governor is loathed by a large proportion of the state's residents.  In my opinion the guy would sell his own mother's house out from under her if the prospective buyer offered him a $10,000 campaign contribution.
  The one thing the governor does have going for him is that it appears that the anti-gay marriage amendment (which was a meaningless advisory referendum anyways) will not get onto the Illinois ballot.  This will probably keep away many socially conservative voters who have never been fired up about socially liberal Republican nominee Baar-Topinka anyways.
  One thing working against the gov is that the Green Party will likely get a ballot spot possibly draining a couple of percentage points of dissafected Dems away from him possibly costing him a close race.
  If I was handicapping the election right now, I would give a very very slim advantage to the incumbent governor.  That can all change in a heartbeat with Patrick Fitzgerald on the job however.  I believe it will all come down to how the Cook County Suburbs vote.  Chicago will be overwhelmingly Dem while the collar counties and downstate will be overwhelmingly Rep.  The divisive shenanigans concerning the Cook County Board President's position (talk about a job with control over a whole lot of patronage and therefore the grandstanding by all the interested parties) may or may nor hurt Blago's chances in the Cook County suburbs.  Could quite possibly hurt him pretty bad.

Ill Ind
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies