Is shoving Kamala Harris into our face gonna backfire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is shoving Kamala Harris into our face gonna backfire?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is shoving Kamala Harris into our face gonna backfire?  (Read 1549 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »

maybe but one thing about Gore or Biden is that no one in 1992 or 2008 were talking about them running for president much so the 8 years allowed them to get them some goodwill from the base. I cant speak for Pence but I generally dont hear much about him like ever

Al Gore and Joe Biden literally ran for President before being selected as VP. Biden even ran in 2008.

Pence was also planning on running in 2016 in the early 2010s.
I was talking about in the aftermath of the election win. For instance you see people talk Harris 2024, even though Biden has expressed that he wants to go for two terms.It would seem a bit strange if people started talking about Gore 1996, Biden 2012 or Pence 2020 right after the President won and there isnt clear indication that they plan to be a one termer

Pretty sure this is wrong.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 01:07:10 AM »

How is Kamala being "shoved" into your face? The premise of this thread is terrible and is rooted in bigotry and misogyny
She was chosen as a running mate in spite of her very weak performance in the primaries, and now she is being portrayed as almost co-equal to the president-elect. As far as I can tell, she is promoted far more aggressively than any VP before her, so the charge that she is being "shoved" in people's faces makes sense to me. For what it's worth, I also think that the likes of Beto O'Rourke, Pete Buttigieg, and Amy Klobuchar were also shoved in people's faces.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 01:36:22 AM »

No one likes "it's her turn" - Harris needs to show she can win on her own, like Biden did, and not because the party rigs it for her, like they did for Clinton
Chile hush. Nobody rigged anything for Clinton. People understanding they couldn't compete with her fundraising and name recognition and sitting their ass down is not rigging a primary.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 01:39:17 AM »

How is Kamala being "shoved" into your face? The premise of this thread is terrible and is rooted in bigotry and misogyny
She was chosen as a running mate in spite of her very weak performance in the primaries, and now she is being portrayed as almost co-equal to the president-elect. As far as I can tell, she is promoted far more aggressively than any VP before her, so the charge that she is being "shoved" in people's faces makes sense to me. For what it's worth, I also think that the likes of Beto O'Rourke, Pete Buttigieg, and Amy Klobuchar were also shoved in people's faces.

She was a bigger player in the 2020 primary than Biden was in the 2008 primary.

Also, regarding her being "promoted aggressively," I think it's partially because Biden is an old, white, male moderate who was nominated by an increasing diverse and progressive party. It makes sense to emphasize the balance she brings to the ticket.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 03:01:49 AM »

I don’t think the Vice President to the oldest president ever being considered a probable future president is being shoved in our face or some sort of media narrative.

Let's not pretend she wasn't the most overhyped candidate in the primary who limped out before voting even began after being taken down by, of all people, Tulsi Gabbard. It was treated as her election to lose by large segments of the formal and informal media. Obviously, things have changed since then, but I do believe we will look back on Biden's choice here as a failure.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 03:03:07 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 04:14:12 AM by Chief Keef for Chicago Mayor »

She was a bigger player in the 2020 primary than Biden was in the 2008 primary.

Also, regarding her being "promoted aggressively," I think it's partially because Biden is an old, white, male moderate who was nominated by an increasing diverse and progressive party. It makes sense to emphasize the balance she brings to the ticket.
The difference is that no one was promoting Biden as Obama's successor before they were elected, or implying that they were somehow of equal stature.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, Biden was never a major candidate in the 2008 primary. If I recall correctly, he shared a plane ride with fellow candidate Chris Dodd in order to save money. Kamala, on the other hand, was hyped as one of the top candidates in 2020, especially after her "that little girl was me" speech during the debate.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 03:40:53 AM »

I'm starting to think I like Harris more than some red avatars on the forum.

VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 04:29:19 AM »

Haha, I think that says more about some of our red avatars than me, though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 10:20:54 AM »

KH is definitely being shoved in our faces.  There's more media interest being given to things like her staffing decisions than for other recent VPs because the implicit assumption is that she's the frontrunner for '24.  Whether this distinction is earned or unearned really is of no import, the result is that Democratic candidates will defer to her decision/strength when deciding to mount campaigns of their own.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »

KH is definitely being shoved in our faces.  There's more media interest being given to things like her staffing decisions than for other recent VPs because the implicit assumption is that she's the frontrunner for '24.  Whether this distinction is earned or unearned really is of no import, the result is that Democratic candidates will defer to her decision/strength when deciding to mount campaigns of their own.
Her candidacy would result in an automatic win for Ron "Unbeatable Titan" DeSantis. He wouldn't even have to campaign lol.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »

Time magazine's "Person of the Year" award is emblematic of this, with Harris featured on the cover alongside Biden. To my knowledge, she is the first ever Vice-President elect to be chosen as a "Person of the Year" with the President-elect. If that's not a sign of her being promoted by the media and by politically significant figures, then I don't know what is. A large part of it, I think, has to do with the fact that Biden could very well die in office, thereby elevating her to the Presidency ahead of 2024. The media wants us to be "ready" for that. And of course, that she is the first woman-and the first black woman-to become Vice-President certainly plays a role in how she is being hyped.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »

The 56 year old VP to the the oldest president ever elected being promoted more than previous VPs isn't being "shoved" in anyone's face. Also, all previous VPs (except Charles Curtis) were white men - Kamala is neither white or a male. Of course, the historic nature of her ascension to the Vice Presidency would get more attention.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »

This is such a bizarre premise. Of course she's being groomed to be Biden's successor, and of course after two-plus decades with wall-to-wall full-time national political news coverage she's going to get a lot of TV and media airtime. She's hardly the first VP in modern history to get this treatment. It's not atypical. It's not something to bemoan.

You're telling on yourself if you want to frame this as having Harris "shoved in your face". She's a politician who just received 81 million votes, not a piece of broccoli you're being forced to eat. The maneuvering and news coverage being described here is normal. This line of complaint is pretty standard grievance-mongering and it's not hard to see what the basis of the grievance is.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »

This is such a bizarre premise. Of course she's being groomed to be Biden's successor, and of course after two-plus decades with wall-to-wall full-time national political news coverage she's going to get a lot of TV and media airtime. She's hardly the first VP in modern history to get this treatment. It's not atypical. It's not something to bemoan.

You're telling on yourself if you want to frame this as having Harris "shoved in your face". She's a politician who just received 81 million votes, not a piece of broccoli you're being forced to eat. The maneuvering and news coverage being described here is normal. This line of complaint is pretty standard grievance-mongering and it's not hard to see what the basis of the grievance is.

Not to mention, she has made history. Of course she's going to get some attention.
Motorcity

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »

The risk is there for Harris to be incumbent enough to get the nomination unopposed, but then lose election

The healthiest thing for everyone is for a competitive '24 primary

No one likes "it's her turn" - Harris needs to show she can win on her own, like Biden did, and not because the party rigs it for her, like they did for Clinton
LAMO

After 2016, there will never be a nomination unopposed.

Several lessons from 2016.

1. With Trump, no one is crazy enough from winning both the primary and general

2. Giving Hillary a coronation really hurt her in the general. It made her look corrupt by shoving aside folks like Biden from running. And it made her lazy in the general.

3. Sanders winning 45% of the vote and 20 states shows that even a completely unknown can gain momentum

4. Social media and grassroots fundraising can keep a campaign afloat

That’s why literally every single Democrat ran in 2020. It was crazy. Personally I would have limited the first two debates to 10 people and only 5 people after that. 

Unless Biden runs for a second term, we will have a contested primary. If Harris runs, I guarantee you she’ll have serious opposition. While she still win, expect serious firepower.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies