Louisiana as a future swing state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Louisiana as a future swing state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Louisiana as a future swing state?  (Read 2577 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 12:02:01 AM »

If Louisiana gets a large Hispanic population (overflow of Mexican-Americans from Texas?)

Ah, yes, treating Hispanic voters as a plug-and-play monolith is working great for the Democrats so far.

Well, and as we know Mexican americans will "overflow" from TX? wth does that mean

Are there any Louisiana counties where people commute to Texas cities across the border? That's the only thing I would think he could mean. But I'm not sure that's a thing yet.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 12:31:25 AM »

If Louisiana gets a large Hispanic population (overflow of Mexican-Americans from Texas?)

Ah, yes, treating Hispanic voters as a plug-and-play monolith is working great for the Democrats so far.

Well, and as we know Mexican americans will "overflow" from TX? wth does that mean

Are there any Louisiana counties where people commute to Texas cities across the border? That's the only thing I would think he could mean. But I'm not sure that's a thing yet.

Downtown Houston is about 90 miles from the Louisiana border, so it is too far to commute there. The only city in Texas with over 100,000 people that is within commuting distance of Louisiana is Beaumont, which doesn't have a large Hispanic population. It doesn't look like those Mexican Americans are going to overflow from Texas anytime soon.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 01:04:21 AM »

In Arizona and Colorado... yes.

Basically, "when pigs fly".

I don't see Louisiana as particularly attractive to Mexican-Americans. If anything, Texas is more attractive to Louisiana Creoles and Cajuns than Louisiana is attractive to Hispanics of any kind. Louisiana has horrible social conditions: a high crime rate, poor public health, horrid education, and of course extreme poverty. The oil industry creates much of the income in Louisiana... but the income from oil production does not stay in Louisiana. Louisiana remains one of the poorest states in America.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »

In fairness, there is actually a decently large Honduran community in New Orleans, but that's mostly an effect of chain migration going back to the early 20th century.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies