WI: Will gay marriage face a serious no vote challenge?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI: Will gay marriage face a serious no vote challenge?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: Will gay marriage face a serious no vote challenge?  (Read 3916 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:19:39 AM »
« edited: June 30, 2006, 07:22:39 AM by In The Land of the Insane »

From the politics 1 website

"WISCONSIN: EVERYONE TAKES SIDES ON GAY MARRIAGE BAN AMENDMENT.
In November, Wisconsin voters will decide a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage and, seemingly, civil unions. The amendment reads: "Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state." Governor Jim Doyle (D) opposes the amendment, while his challenger Congressman Mark Green (R) supports it. This week former Governors Pat Lucey (D), Martin Schreiber (D), Lee Dreyfus (R) and Tony Earl (D) released a joint statement saying the proposed amendment "runs contrary to the values of freedom and fairness that make Wisconsin great." Former Governor Scott McCallum (R) supports the ban, while former Governor Tommy Thompson (R) has yet to offer any position. As for me, you can pretty much guess where I fall on the issue."

Its interesting that thompson hasnt declared his position. However, Wisconsin is a fair state but full of spiteful xenoophobic repulbicans who think its acceptable to spit in your face. Sorry, but there coming out to vote because they havent the brain power to workout that discrimination is not tolerated in the constutition.

I hope Wisconsin stands up for what it always has. Fairness.
The first state to ban the death penalty.
The first state to pass a gay rights bill.
Hopefully the first state to stick two fingers up at George Bushs discrimination ammendment.

Is anybody tired of this witch-hunt on civil rights?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 08:28:11 AM »

Is anybody tired of this witch-hunt on civil rights?

I certainly am.  I'm surprised that this wasn't tried in 2004 with the Presidential race being so close in Wisconsin and Feingold on the ballot.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:45:52 AM »

When it was first past polls how it passing 56-58%, I hope that continues and it passes. It's what needs to happen and I want to hear Nomo have more hissy fits. Tongue
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »

I hope and pray it does not pass.  The Same-Sex Marriage Bans are the things I most detest about today's Republican party.  Conservatives talk about individual rights and getting rid of big government, but they are now legislating people's lives.  I find it hypocritical and insulting.  Wisconsin has always been a sane, dovish and liberal state that has given America some fine politicians in the past.  I sincerely hope that it does not give into bigotry and oppression this November.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »

I hope and pray it does not pass.  The Same-Sex Marriage Bans are the things I most detest about today's Republican party.  Conservatives talk about individual rights and getting rid of big government, but they are now legislating people's lives.  I find it hypocritical and insulting.  Wisconsin has always been a sane, dovish and liberal state that has given America some fine politicians in the past.  I sincerely hope that it does not give into bigotry and oppression this November.

Heh, cute.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »

Its truly a shame to even see it on the ballot, especially in Wisconsin, but to see alot of people coming out against it gives me a beter feeling about it. I just hope that the opposers to back down, we cant lose this one.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »

Its truly a shame to even see it on the ballot, especially in Wisconsin, but to see alot of people coming out against it gives me a beter feeling about it. I just hope that the opposers to back down, we cant lose this one.

A majority of the people of Wisconsin seem to support it though.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »

[quote author=In The Land of the Insane link=topic=41823.msg926547#msg926547 date=1151669979

The first state to ban the death penalty.

[/quote]

actually michigan was the first state to ban the death penalty
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »

Heh, cute.

What's wrong with that statement?  Adlai Stevenson makes some good points (except sane doesn't necessarily equal dovish and liberal).
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »

Feingold has stated that he will campaign against this very heavily, with that plus the fact that I've already seen yard signs in opposition to this admendment, and not to mention that many churches are coming out against it, I think it will fail.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

Thank you nini2287; I am pleased to here there is some opposition noticeable and that Feingold will campaign against it. 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

I think it will pass the amendment; Wisconsin's always been a progressive state.
Wouldnt a progressive state......not pass this?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:13 PM »

How strict is this ban?  Is it like Oregon's, or more like Ohio's?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 02:46:20 AM »

I think it will pass the amendment; Wisconsin's always been a progressive state.
Wouldnt a progressive state......not pass this?

I would think so.  Preston is confusing me.

Anyways, it'll be a close, bitter vote that will divide the state and be nasty and disgusting.  Why these people go crazy over the STATE granting marriages to who it wants annoys me.  It isn't your church doing it, so get over it and move on.  The state should be able to give all its citizens a fair chance to marry any citizen they please.  Wisconsin is above this.  If it passes.  Wisconsin shall fall significantly in my book.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 03:21:16 AM »

If Oregon passed it, I can't see Wisconsin not passing it, even if it is two years later.  It could be close, though..
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »

It will pass like it has everwhere else.  Maybe just with 60%, but it will pass.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »

michigan was 59-41 in favor.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 07:38:33 PM »

Yea! We have our first poll on this matter.

48.5% Favor
47.8% Oppose

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/index.php?ntid=90446

Remember that I previously predicted this to fail.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »

Yea! We have our first poll on this matter.

48.5% Favor
47.8% Oppose

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/index.php?ntid=90446

Remember that I previously predicted this to fail.

Whoever "Diversfield Research" is.

Still, though - Smiley.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 03:05:52 PM »

It's gonna pass with about 57% for it, much more liberal states have passed it anyway.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »

It's gonna pass with about 57% for it, much more liberal states have passed it anyway.

It is worth considering that both poll marigns and voting margins have been steadily decreasing almost by the year for this issue.
MissCatholic

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »

It is worth considering that both poll marigns and voting margins have been steadily decreasing almost by the year for this issue.

by 2050 all blue states will have gay marriage.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »

The voters will do the right thing and defeat this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies