States where a county sweep for one party is likelier than the other party winning the state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 02:30:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  States where a county sweep for one party is likelier than the other party winning the state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States where a county sweep for one party is likelier than the other party winning the state?  (Read 773 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »

Obviously Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, West Virginia, and Oklahoma are a given.

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »

Obviously Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, West Virginia, and Oklahoma are a given.

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

Louisiana, Alaska, Virginia, Missouri, Nevada.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

No on all of those.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

No on all of those.

Louisiana and Alaska have no counties, and It's more likely that republicans lose MO than win ever county but lose the city of St. Louis
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

No on all of those.

Louisiana and Alaska have no counties, and It's more likely that republicans lose MO than win ever county but lose the city of St. Louis

It's more likely the Democrats win the state than the Republicans win St. Louis. Ditto for Louisiana and New Orleans. Unless I'm misunderstanding your argument.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »

Maryland's only been fully swept once, by Eisenhower in 56. A Dem sweep is impossible because of Garrett County, part of the infamous school of German Unionist mid-Appalachian counties as seen in KY, TN, and WV, although a Dem sweep of every other county in the state has been done before, as by Mikulski in 92 and 98.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »

Hot take: California.

Most of the red CA counties are either reasonably close or have a very small population. I think it’s slightly more likely that every county goes blue in some fluke blowout rather than the GOP making up their 5 million vote deficit to win the state.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

No on all of those.

You are being unnecessarily pedantic.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

No on all of those.

You are being unnecessarily pedantic.

Thanks!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

A Democratic sweep of Nevada is more likely than a Republican win in the state? Huh

Also, totally agreed on whoever said California. Democrats winning places like Plumas/Lassen/Modoc is more likely than Republicans winning the state.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »

Maryland's only been fully swept once, by Eisenhower in 56. A Dem sweep is impossible because of Garrett County, part of the infamous school of German Unionist mid-Appalachian counties as seen in KY, TN, and WV, although a Dem sweep of every other county in the state has been done before, as by Mikulski in 92 and 98.

Yeah, Dems winning Garrett County and Rs winning Maryland are so impossible that it's hard to say which is more likely, but I think I'd go with Garrett County just because it's smaller and it's easier for a fluke to flip it. Similar stuff applies in North Dakota.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

I disagree with Delaware.  It's overestimated by some how safe it is.  Sussex County is definitely more Republican than Delaware is Democratic.

And, for Nevada, I actually would say that a Republican sweep is more likely than a Democratic sweep because it's really all about the population of two counties, and neither gave Biden massive margins.  Whereas, to flip some of those virtually unpopulated rural counties would be a virtually impossible task for Democrats.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

I disagree with Delaware.  It's overestimated by some how safe it is.  Sussex County is definitely more Republican than Delaware is Democratic.

And, for Nevada, I actually would say that a Republican sweep is more likely than a Democratic sweep because it's really all about the population of two counties, and neither gave Biden massive margins.  Whereas, to flip some of those virtually unpopulated rural counties would be a virtually impossible task for Democrats.

Yeah, it's kind of overlooked that Clark County was within single digits this year and swung slightly to the right. Under the right circumstances, I actually could see a Republican presidential candidate narrowly winning it. And if it gets to the point where they've won Clark, they've almost certainly won Washoe as well.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 05:49:30 PM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

A Democratic sweep of Nevada is more likely than a Republican win in the state? Huh

Also, totally agreed on whoever said California. Democrats winning places like Plumas/Lassen/Modoc is more likely than Republicans winning the state.
LOL
D's usually only win Clarke and Washoe.

A GOP sweep in NV is more likely than a D one.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 06:55:06 AM »

Vermont
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland(?)
Kentucky
Arkansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho

Anything I missed?

I disagree with Delaware.  It's overestimated by some how safe it is.  Sussex County is definitely more Republican than Delaware is Democratic.

And, for Nevada, I actually would say that a Republican sweep is more likely than a Democratic sweep because it's really all about the population of two counties, and neither gave Biden massive margins.  Whereas, to flip some of those virtually unpopulated rural counties would be a virtually impossible task for Democrats.

Yeah, it's kind of overlooked that Clark County was within single digits this year and swung slightly to the right. Under the right circumstances, I actually could see a Republican presidential candidate narrowly winning it. And if it gets to the point where they've won Clark, they've almost certainly won Washoe as well.
People can forget how close Clark County gets, because the failure of Rs to win Nevada since 2004 grabs attention away.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies