So Um I知 kinda worried about that Texas case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 02:14:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  So Um I知 kinda worried about that Texas case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: So Um I知 kinda worried about that Texas case  (Read 15424 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

Jeb! is calling malarkey:

Jeb! should have been the nominee in 2016.

I think HRC would have beaten him.

Exactly why it should have been him!

Not really :

Bush/Walker 284
Clinton/Kaine 254

Hillary was really vulnerable in 2016 regardless as CO/VA hadn稚 become strongly democratic yet to provide for the fact that WI/MI/PA was reverting at the very least to pre Obama levels(Obama strength there has clearly been an outlier). Also The GOP had recovered from the wreckage the Taft years did to the Ohio GOP by 2014 as well.

I think Jeb would still lose MI/PA though but having Walker on the ticket gives him WI/IA and gives him the presidency

I suppose that is a fairly realistic looking map for a matchup like that. I might've even given Bush NH making it 288-250.

LOL no. Jeb! was a horrible candidate who would have been obliterated by HRC. More likely he loses OH and IA than wins CO, VA, NV, NH, WI, any of that. In a Clinton/Bush redux, the country at that time would have preferred Clinton. He was the best opponent for her by far. And no, he would not have had even a fraction as much appeal to the rust belt as Trump, so the midwest does not return to pre-Obama numbers. He probably ends up doing worse than Romney.

Then how did W Bush have the appeal and while yes W Bush is a better candidate than Jeb , Kerry was a better candidate than Hillary

Well you answered it partly yourself: W was a better candidate than Jeb! But he also was extremely unpopular by 2016; part of the reason the midwest went so hard for Obama was in reaction to Bush痴 failed, unpopular presidency. They would have gone just as hard for HRC had she won the nomination in 2008. That wasn稚 the result of some special Obama magic. Reminder that BILL Clinton won those states soundly too. And in 2016, a Clinton/Bush redux with two uncharismatic candidates would have primarily been seen as a battle of the legacies of Bill and W. Bill痴 was far more popular then, it痴 not even close. I mean Trump was able to win the GOP nomination running against W痴 legacy (while Jeb! suffered for it) while at the same time Clinton successfully won the nomination on her husband痴. Plus turnout would probably be pretty low in any case; Jeb! sure as hell does not fire up low propensity WWC voters like Trump and even W to a lesser extent did. So if nothing else, Hillary would inspire more people to vote for the first woman president than Jeb! and his guac bowls inspired anybody to do anything.

Also I don稚 think I agree Kerry was a better candidate than Hillary. Hillary is more polarizing, but she could have been formidable against a bland generic R like Jeb! Trump was uniquely suited for her. Meanwhile Kerry is basically a bland generic D.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2020, 09:27:43 PM »

These people are unwell:

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »

Oh thank God
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »

"sUpReMe cOuRt wIlL oVeRtUrN pEnNsYlVaNiA!!!!11!1!"

-SN2903
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2020, 10:38:01 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2020, 10:40:39 PM »

Surprised ACB didnt turn out to be as right wing as Alito

ACB always seemed to have more of an institutionalist streak like Kavanaugh and Roberts.  She could plausibly be the new swing vote on some cases. 

Gorsuch is 100% hardcore in one direction or the other depending on the case.  He's probably left of Kagan and Breyer on Native American rights and many criminal justice issues and left of Roberts on LGBTQ issues, but he's probably the rightmost justice on several other issues. 

I壇 Say Thomas is clearly the most right wing justice
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »

Not sure of the veratiy of this, but I think the point is all of us can see him doing this:

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »

lol people really thought the Supreme Court would overturn the election

No, but I thought there was an outside shot at them hearing the case which would've needlessly upped the tension even more.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2020, 11:11:13 PM »

3 days after creation this thread already seems ridiculous in retrospect.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2020, 11:13:05 PM »

3 days after creation this thread already seems ridiculous in retrospect.

I wouldn't say it seems ridiculous. SCOTUS itself treating the case "with half a smile, and half a spurn, as housewives do, a Fly" was a foregone conclusion, but how much momentum this trash picked up among elected and mediatic Republicans was genuinely frightening to watch, and is a very bad sign of things to come.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #285 on: December 11, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »

I found a picture of the Republicans who STILL believe it's not over:

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2020, 12:03:59 AM »

Thoughts? I found this a little worrying. Obviously, I know that it doesn't affect anything, but I wish Alito and Thomas weren't such hacks.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »

Thoughts? I found this a little worrying. Obviously, I know that it doesn't affect anything, but I wish Alito and Thomas weren't such hacks.

Honestly, if the worst is "We thought we had to hear it, but we still would have knocked it down because it's a garbage case," I find that reassuring, not worrying. Trump tried to destroy our democratic institutions, including the courts, but credit where it is due: The rule of law has held in the courtrooms of this nation. For now, at least.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2020, 12:10:47 AM »

Honestly, if the worst is "We thought we had to hear it, but we still would have knocked it down because it's a garbage case," I find that reassuring, not worrying. Trump tried to destroy our democratic institutions, including the courts, but credit where it is due: The rule of law has held in the courtrooms of this nation. For now, at least.

Well, this guy's read was that the "other relief" Alito and Thomas mention is not actually saying they wouldn't rule with the plaintiffs. Obv though not a lawyer (yet) so idk if that's true or what it says about Alito and Thomas's jurisprudence.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2020, 12:45:27 AM »

His read is embarrassingly bad.  It was 9-0.  They were talking about a technical procedural issue and explicitly said they were not inclined to give any other relief, i.e., they disagreed on the merits.  In some ways that goes even further than the others who just summarily dismissed it on standing.  Though they probably would rip apart each issue as well. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: December 12, 2020, 12:49:31 AM »

Not sure of the veratiy of this, but I think the point is all of us can see him doing this:

It's his party and he'll cry if he wants too.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2020, 01:00:40 AM »

January 20 be like:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2020, 01:02:07 AM »

Thank goodness this case was soundingly dismissed by the Supreme Court.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #293 on: December 12, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »

Thank goodness this case was soundingly dismissed by the Supreme Court.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #294 on: December 12, 2020, 01:38:00 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:41:09 AM by Cosmopolitanism Will Win »

This is really a reach.

Yes, Alito and Thomas did not formally express a view on the merits of the case. Of course they didn't. This wasn't what the purpose of the decision was about. The decision was about whether they would hear the case or not. Alito and Thomas said they would based on a minority interpretation of a purely procedural question regarding original jurisdiction, and they felt the need to specify that they would grant no other relief. Meaning that, at most, if those two had prevailed, the SCOTUS would have agreed to hear the case without intervening in the election in any other way. While the Electoral College is set to meet in 3 days. To imagine a scenario where they'd go ahead and decide in Texas' favor after a couple weeks would be laughable.

Look, I find 9-0 decisions as satisfying as the next guy, but we just have to accept that sometimes there are weird procedural technicalities and idiosyncratic judicial views that means we get what looks on paper like a split decision. That doesn't mean Alito and Thomas were gearing up for a judicial coup.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #295 on: December 12, 2020, 02:04:38 AM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2020, 02:17:27 AM »

I always suspected Trump's Presidency would essentially be ended with a 9-0 ruling against him with all his appointees siding with the law over the administration.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »

Trump thinks it was 7-2.

retweet:
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »

Here's the Free Republic thread on the matter if anyone wants to feel both schadenfreude and fear of possible upcoming terrorism and violence:

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3914621/posts

Wow.

Literally every third comment is a call to arms.   LOL

But they are like a spider or snake you find in your home:  in that they are more scared of you than you are of it.  

These people literally believe that every registered Democrat wants to outlaw Christianity and send all Xtians to FEMA camps.   Trump is their Great White Hope to prevent this.

And actually, I would 1000% vote for a presidential candidate that wanted to outlaw all religion.   That would be the bee's knees.  (just not the concentration camp thing. that wouldn't be coolio)
forsythvoter

« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »

I feel like this lawsuit is a good example of why there's a growing college-divide in US politics. Frankly, no one with a even basic understanding of (conservative!) legal doctrine (e.g., federalism, state sovereignty to conduct elections) would ever take what TX's AG is requesting seriously.

Also, this type of stunt really seems like a really odd strategy for a state where the areas that decide the election are in the suburbs (specially outer suburbs) of DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

I get that this type of stunt fires up the Trump base, but TX isn't one of those states where the Trump base as I think of it (WWC, rural supporters) can win elections on its own without at least some support in more moderate corners of the state like the DFW suburbs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies