Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:02:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 137763 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: February 09, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »

Do we really need another squad member?

We need about 430 more. Also anyone remember when a bunch of freshmen republicans tried to make their own “squad” a few months back?

You need an ideological balance...you need Blue Dogs and Squad.

I want to see Nina Turner clash with Nicole Malliotakis over policing in the House.

There is no need for Blue Dogs. Their ilks and failed "bipartisan" (in reality, policies that favors the elites) policies led to the rise of Trump.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »

Why it takes a year to full a vacant seat.

It won't. It will take eight months. As for why? It's Ohio law. As was said above, there are only three valid special election dates in Ohio: the first Monday after the first Tuesday in May, August, and November. It's also Ohio law that the special election can only be scheduled once a seat is vacant. County Boards of Election are mailing overseas ballots for this year's May primary this week, so the seat is being filled as soon as legally possible.

Fudge resigned 11 days ago, though, so were those ballots already being printed & mailed out by Mar. 10th? Because if not, then it seems to me that they could've just stuck to the original May/Aug. timetable without many (if any) headaches.

Again, the election can't be called until there is an actual vacancy. It would be absurd to allow County Boards of Election to print ballots for a hypothetical election for numerous reasons.

That's not an answer to the question which I asked. What I pointed to was the fact that the vacancy actually occurred 11 (now 12) days ago, & I asked whether ballots were already in the process of being printed at that point in time - 12 days ago now - when the vacancy became official? If so, then the Aug./Nov. timetable is a totally & completely understandable decision (albeit one with negative consequences) taken in comport with the law on this matter. If not, then I see no reason as to why they couldn't have just stuck with a May/Aug. timetable.

Well, once you have the seat officially vacant, you need to open filling, have candidates collect signatures and so on. For an election in May, Ohio law says the filling closes 90 days before the election (February 3) and counties have 12 days to review signatures. Also, the SoS need to certify the ballot to be printed 70 days before the election February 23).

The resignation came in way too late for the legal deadlines.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »

R vs R Runoff could be possibly in the CA-22 Special tonight with Democrats facing a worse Political Climate they faced in November 2020.

With 4 R and 2 D that seems unlikely.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 04:49:20 PM »

When are results expected for Alaska?

Late tomorrow.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 06:54:54 PM »

Cicilline's resignation taking effect Thursday. Expect a primary on September 5 and General on November 7.

So RI-01 and UT-02 will remain vacant until at least November?

Unless UT decides to be quicker, yes

Utah can't be quicker and may even be slower. Utah law mandates 90 days between the election being called and the primary and another 90 days between the primary special and the general special election. It also mandates the special election to be held at the same time as 1 of the 4 following; municipal election, regular primary election, regular general election or presidential primary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies