Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:25:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136331 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »

I don't have a stake in who Fudge's successor will be, but to put it bluntly, proud and loud black politicians-especially proud and loud black female politicians-tend not to be well-liked by the powers that be, if you get what I mean. Nina Turner is certainly someone the Democratic establishment would oppose, and it remains to be seen whether she can win the primary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »

If nothing else, I would really love to see donut twitter/KHive completely lose it and donate tons of money to whatever Republican grifter opposes her.
Obsessed. Kamala is VP and some of y'all still bring these people up no matter how irrelevant they are to the topic at hand.

I know that you are a staunch supporter of Harris, but that doesn't mean that she should be completely shielded from legitimate criticism. And it doesn't mean that supporters or allies of hers should be excused from legitimate criticism either.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »

She should run for Ohio Secretary of State in 2022. I would love to see her get blown out again.

I didn't know until today that Turner had run for Ohio Secretary of State in 2014 and lost badly. Jon Husted defeated her by 24 points, and she won only two counties that year-Cuyahoga and Athens, the two most Democratic counties in the state. 2014 in general was a horrific year for Ohio Democrats, as all of their statewide candidates lost by double digits, with Kasich's opponent, FitzGerald, losing by 30 points and dragging the rest of the ticket down.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?

What's wrong with Nina Turner? She's awesome.

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

In no way does that somehow put the statement in a better light.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

I fully agree with this. Biden has done things which I disagree with (such as his selection of Kamala Harris to be his running mate), and he should be criticized for those things. I also think that this will distinguish Democrats greatly from Republicans, who were largely unwilling to criticize Trump (outside of the isolated few like Sasse and Kinzinger) and who tended to kiss his feet.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 10:25:26 PM »

Turner's entire persona is being an obnoxious, conspiracy-addled asshole though.  If you take that away (her "tone") what does she bring to the table?

People like her because she's obnoxious and rude to people they dislike, and because she says crazy
 things that validate their conspiratorial belief system.  That's really all there is to it.

I didn't mean tone, I meant her not being crazy anymore

You guys are hilarious. You act like she and her supporters are irrational, and then when backed into a corner as to why you would think that, what's your argument: "She's a meanie!" "Crazy lady bad!" Meanwhile, you insult her supporters far more grievously than I ever heard her insult anybody.

People like her because they think that our for-profit healthcare system is a joke. They like her because they think support for an apartheid gov't under the name of "freedom" is insanity. They like her because voting for Joe Biden was kinda like eating dog s***, except that when somebody eats dog s*** they don't have to worry that it will result in a 4 degree celsius temperature increase that will permanently ruin their lives. People like her for substantive reasons, meanwhile all you have to say negative about her is heavily subjective, emotional, and personal.

I don't agree with everything Turner says, but as I've said on here before, there has traditionally tended to be a negative view of blacks who "speak their minds", especially if they happen to be in positions of authority or involved in politics.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »

Apologies for the inane and predictable comment, but the genuinely most ridiculous thing is that we're still talking about the primary this late in the year.

Wasn't there a law that prevented DeWine from scheduling the special election earlier? If it weren't for that, this seat would have been filled by now.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 12:37:09 PM »

How is Shontel Brown a transphobe? I listened to that segment, and the most you could accuse her of would be the offense of "misgendering". From the tone that she used and the language that she used, I didn't get the impression that she was bigoted or prejudiced. As I've said elsewhere, you have legitimately hateful people out there who ought to be criticized, but there are many reasonable people who don't fully understand all of the nuances around gender identity and sexual orientation, and the like, but who are supportive of LGBT rights and who are trying to seek greater understanding about the issue. This woman seems to fall into that category.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 07:37:50 PM »

It really was Turner that nationalized this race by bringing in outside help from the start and I think the recent barrage of attacks against Brown shows that this race is not as safe for Turner as previously thought. They even brought out borderline racist attacks.

The whole "girrllll" line was completely unnecessary.

The ad came across as cheap.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:07:03 PM »

I've had "SHONTEL BROWN? GURRRRRRRRL!" stuck in my head all day.

I laughed uproariously when listening to the ad.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »

Why would she have thrown away her vote unless she abstained? She probably didn't vote for Gary Johnson, who isn't a fringe candidate as he was the Governor of New Mexico, and she probably voted for Jill Stein, who got over a million votes, and that's a lot of votes.

And I'm not sure why Turner should be judged for not having voted for Clinton and gone third-party. It's as if people forget that Clinton was disliked by many left-leaning and Democratic voters, and that virtually all those people came back to the Party for Biden last year.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »

Not the anti-trans microagression lady. 😭

She's not anti-trans. Stop being ridiculous.

Sis, there are receipts, it’s on video, microagressions were committed. Even with muh apology, she still went to an LGBT forum and committed them.

"Microaggressions"? That's the type of language that Democrats need to shy away from. And Brown is not a transphobe, as I've noted before.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 08:43:55 PM »

It turns out that this was Nina Turner's race to lose.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 11:43:57 PM »

Glad Turner lost. She is an absolute clown. That “concession” speech is pathetic.

I don't know what she was talking about when she mentioned "evil money".
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »

Glad Turner lost. She is an absolute clown. That “concession” speech is pathetic.

I don't know what she was talking about when she mentioned "evil money".

She means the Jews.

I see. I've read that Turner has been accused of being an anti-Semite.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 06:39:25 PM »

What in the absolute f**k is "[j]ust like South Carolina, corporate Dems turned out white voters to win" even supposed to mean!? Aside from the fact that Biden won the 2020 SC primary's Black vote (which represented 56% of that primary's voting population) in more of an absolute landslide than he won the white vote thereof (which represented just 40% of the SC primary's turn-out), the implication that the votes of "white affluent shaker heights" voters - a.k.a. Jews, because we just so happen to always be the easiest scapegoats to blame for literally anything, don't we? - or even just "white voters" should somehow count for less than other voters' votes is seriously f**ked up beyond any measure of f**ked-up'd-ness.

This is to say nothing of the fact that black voters appear to have been evenly divided between Brown and Turner. That discredits the thesis that white voters were the ones that deprived her of victory.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 01:39:10 PM »

Didn't Cherfilus-McCormick mount multiple primary challenges against Hastings during his final years? It's ironic that she will now be his successor. I'm certain such a situation has happened before, where the prior incumbent's primary challenger is unable to beat them, but succeeds them in office upon their death or retirement.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »

Didn't Cherfilus-McCormick mount multiple primary challenges against Hastings during his final years?

Yes, she did! And it's crazy because she hasn't even improved on her vote totals from previously, but just benefited from the non-grifter vote being split seventeen ways.

Well, now that she will be the incumbent, she'll become entrenched, assuming she doesn't act foolish, and will have an easier time going forward.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 01:24:38 AM »

Nice maps - I assume Holness must've done quite poorly in Palm Beach.

It also highlights that FL-20 is about as discontiguous as you could make a district with it still being contiguous.

As I recall, much of FL-20's territory is either uninhabited or very low populated.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 12:14:10 AM »

Won’t we have specials next year? Congress is basically a retirement home for sex offenders after all, so there will probably be at least a couple deaths/resignations.

This Congress certainly had an unusual number of deaths, more than any other Congress since at least the 110th United States Congress (2007-2009).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies