Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136546 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 19, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »

Now that Fudge has resigned, has the election been scheduled yet?

Primary scheduled for August 3, General for November 2: www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/politics/elections/election-ohio-11th-congressional-district-november-2-2021/95-1d0a664f-2a11-41a9-8e7e-e16c8497b41b

What on earth? Keeping a seat open for nearly a year - depriving residents of both representation and key constituent services - presumably just to keep the Dems' majority one seat narrower? Is there any other reasonable explanation here? This is something I'd expect from a DeSantis or a Noem, but not DeWine. There should really be some laws in place here about how soon a special election has to be scheduled following a vacancy.

Sadly, the only law in Ohio is that a special has to be held eventually. We're lucky he didn't elect to leave the seat empty until Late 2022 like Rick Snyder did with the Conyers seat in the 115th Congress.

Wow - I’m disgusted. All the institutional barriers that black and brown people face in this country, and DeWine - a supposedly “reasonable” Republican because he subscribes to some common sense beliefs like masks help prevent the spread of disease and Biden won the election - sees fit to deprive hundreds of thousands of black voters of congressional representation as part of a cynical partisan game. This party is truly beyond repair and anyone who continues to support it should feel ashamed.

Total agreement here. I dunno what more to add.

That each state handles special elections for federal office differently isn't good either. Congress should pass a law requirung special elections within 60 or 90 days after a vacancy occurs, for both senate and the House. I know that election law is state law, but since this is federal office, I tend to believe congress may actually have the jurisdiction to rule on said matter.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »

I'm not convinced newspaper editorial board endorsements mean much these days.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 01:49:14 AM »

At least confirms polls can be off in both ways.

That said, I still think the GOP favored to take the House, but unless things shift between now and late October, it won't be a wipeout. Probably holding them at or under 230 seats while Dems have a shot taking it back in 2024 should Biden win reelection.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies