Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136501 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 06, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »

I can't believe Turner is becoming the established politician's favorite.
If you can't beat em, join em?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »

My take is that this endorsement will have minimal impact on the race. Almost no one who isn't terminally online has even thought about Hillary Clinton in like half a decade, and she's done this before with a rather poor track record (e.g. Eliot Engel).
Agreed. I just don't see Hillary's endorsement really moving many votes at best.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 04:08:09 PM »

How is Shontel Brown a transphobe? I listened to that segment, and the most you could accuse her of would be the offense of "misgendering". From the tone that she used and the language that she used, I didn't get the impression that she was bigoted or prejudiced. As I've said elsewhere, you have legitimately hateful people out there who ought to be criticized, but there are many reasonable people who don't fully understand all of the nuances around gender identity and sexual orientation, and the like, but who are supportive of LGBT rights and who are trying to seek greater understanding about the issue. This woman seems to fall into that category.
Frankly, people who call Shontel Brown a transphobe are unintentionally doing bigots a favor by watering down the term through overuse and thus making it harder for them to be called out effectively. Save the term for actual transphobes; let's not use it as political football against Dems we don't like.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »

If Brown holds on (and it is looking good for her) what should we thread title be?

Twitter in Disarray
This
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 09:02:20 PM »

Zionists have the right to involve themselves in Dem primaries and so do anti-Zionists. But either can get blamed for outcomes they help cause. At the end of the day DMFI is just another interest group and so are their ideological opposites.
Worth noting DMFI was not the only player in this result. The CBC was a huge player in this, as was the local party establishment as well. Turner ultimately was rather thin in terms of heavyweight backing even if she was broadly the most popular on social media and among activists.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:23 PM »

Shontel Brown 35,504 50.41%
Nina Turner 31,202 44.30%
That's almost 10 percent of the district's total population. Impressive.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »

What's his point here?   He was listed first on the ballot which is actually an advantage.   What's his problem with the ballot?

I'm shocked, shocked, that in a Titanium Safe D district, there are more Ds running than Rs.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 12:16:48 AM »

Interesting, I wonder what the result would be if you equalized turnout in all the counties.
Probably, Molinaro wins very narrowly. Ulster County's boost in turnout helped Democrats considerably on the margins here.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 07:01:27 PM »

"The ones that have been include the Mat-Su"
Mat-Su Borough is very Republican. Mat-Su voted 72-24 Trump in 2020; while the rest of the state voted only 50-46 Trump.
This is more good news for Peltola.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 07:48:50 PM »

So Ryan only won two counties which is pretty weird for a non-urban district. What are Ulster and Columbia counties like?
I get the impression that Ulster County is basically like Vermont, while Columbia is probably "to the left" on social issues while being fiscally moderate. Both counties lean Democratic, to varying degrees.
Torie would be able to speak with more eloquence on this topic, I feel.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »

Democrats winning here is far from unusual. Rs have won the CD Ulster County has mainly or completely been within at most in just one election out of five in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s.
The general pattern over the past half-century has been Ulster County turning whatever district it was within Dem-leaning.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »

Is...this legal?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 04:44:01 PM »

Is...this legal?

It's not *illegal*, but it should result in loss of the tax exemption. Of course, the IRS has been asleep at  the wheel on politicking by churches for ages now.
Thankfully Joe Biden got tons more IRS agents. Perhaps something this blatant gets punished. I'm not getting my hopes up of course.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 08:01:12 PM »

Wow, this is the first time a McLennan has won battles in Virginia. (the early 1860s doesn't count).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 08:31:55 PM »

Wow, this is the first time a McLennan has won battles in Virginia. (the early 1860s doesn't count).

On the other hand, a McClellan fleeing Richmond for DC is a fairly routine sight.
True.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »

So I know this is still Utah, but Maloy going for a total abortion ban seems pretty ill advised here, and IIRC, as of a week or two ago, Reibe was the only one airing ads. I feel like this one could get pretty interesting:

Will be interesting to see how the chips fall, in the end.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies