Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:00:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136455 times)
JMT

« on: August 03, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »

JMT

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:20:42 PM »

JMT

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »

JMT

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 09:24:44 PM »

JMT

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 11:48:50 AM »

When should we expect to get another batch of votes counted in Alaska?
JMT

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »

JMT

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:57:51 PM »

JMT

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 03:52:54 PM »

So... is whoever wins this seat gonna keep it or is it just gonna be a three-month rental?

In the event of Peltola winning, Begich can absolutely attack Palin as someone unable to win a statewide race in Alaska which might help him with first preferences in the general; conversely, in the event of Palin winning (particularly if it's somewhat decisive), more Alaskan Dems might decide that a Dem is unable to win statewide and vote Begich first to try to eliminate Palin (just as they'll vote for Murkowski first).

On the other hand, incumbency benefit may help out. Will be very interesting to see.

I think if Peltola wins, Republicans will swallow their pride and have Begich drop out and take the chance that Palin can win head-to-head.

I disagree. I think if Peltola wins the special, Republicans will view Palin as being unelectable and will unite around Begich for the regular election in hopes of defeating Peltola.
JMT

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »

So... is whoever wins this seat gonna keep it or is it just gonna be a three-month rental?

In the event of Peltola winning, Begich can absolutely attack Palin as someone unable to win a statewide race in Alaska which might help him with first preferences in the general; conversely, in the event of Palin winning (particularly if it's somewhat decisive), more Alaskan Dems might decide that a Dem is unable to win statewide and vote Begich first to try to eliminate Palin (just as they'll vote for Murkowski first).

On the other hand, incumbency benefit may help out. Will be very interesting to see.

I think if Peltola wins, Republicans will swallow their pride and have Begich drop out and take the chance that Palin can win head-to-head.

I disagree. I think if Peltola wins the special, Republicans will view Palin as being unelectable and will unite around Begich for the regular election in hopes of defeating Peltola.

This would require Palin's cooperation.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think there is any question that far fewer Palin voters would rank Peltola over Begich, compared to Begich voters ranking Peltola over Palin. The bigger question if Palin loses is will Palin be able to pull the same 30% of voters or will enough jump ship that Begich takes 2nd. 

I totally agree with this. I don’t really think it requires Palin’s cooperation. In fact, I think Palin will stay in the race for the regular election regardless of what happens in the special. If Palin wins the special election, I think she’ll be in a good position to win again in November. But if she loses, I think enough voters who had Palin as their first choice in the special would defect to Begich for the regular election, which would allow him to take the 2nd spot in the first round and defeat Peltola in the final round in November. While Palin has a loyal group of supporters who will vote for her no matter what, Begich only finished around 3-4 points behind Palin. I think he could pull at least that amount of support from Palin (if she loses the special) to get the second spot in November.
JMT

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 12:41:33 PM »

JMT

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 05:18:09 AM »

Why does deep red Utah have vote by mail? The idea of turning "election day" into election week is ridiculous and should not be the new normal. Before 2018 we never had to wait till after election night to know who won the races.

Why is it ridiculous?
JMT

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 06:57:53 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies