Should the Republican Party break up?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:05:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Should the Republican Party break up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should the Republican Party break up?  (Read 447 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »

Is there really room for the Charlie Bakers and Larry Hogans and Tom Kean Jr's of the world with Jim Jordan, Debbie Lesko, Ron DeSantis and the Trumps?

Should there be a MAGA party and a GOP party?
EastwoodS

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »

Is there really room for the Charlie Bakers and Larry Hogans and Tom Kean Jr's of the world with Jim Jordan, Debbie Lesko, Ron DeSantis and the Trumps?

Should there be a MAGA party and a GOP party?
No, but they do need a re-branding right down to the very name of the party. Something like liberal-lassie Faire party, liberal-conservatives coalition or conservatives-moderate front
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »

Would love our system to be like France and have 4 of 5 parties. I examine politics on a 1-7 sclae from left to right. The Bernie/Squad wing (1s) could join the Green Party and the conspiracy MAGA wing (7s) could join the Constitution Party. 2 (Obama, Buttigieg)-3 (people like Joe Cunningham here in SC) could be the Democrats, 5 (Bush/Romney)-6 (Rubio, Haley, Pence) would be the GOP, and 4s would be independents I guess
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »

Congratulations, you managed to make a divide in the GOP where I actively prefer the full GOP to either of those groups.  Because it isn't clear where people like me would fit into that divide.

Also, there are like 8 people with Charlie Baker's ideology, and they're all working for think tanks or writing for newspapers already.
EastwoodS

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »

Would love our system to be like France and have 4 of 5 parties. I examine politics on a 1-7 sclae from left to right. The Bernie/Squad wing (1s) could join the Green Party and the conspiracy MAGA wing (7s) could join the Constitution Party. 2 (Obama, Buttigieg)-3 (people like Joe Cunningham here in SC) could be the Democrats, 5 (Bush/Romney)-6 (Rubio, Haley, Pence) would be the GOP, and 4s would be independents I guess
Then we would have to totally change our electoral system. We’d have to adopt like a UK style of Democracy. Not that I’m against that.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »

I know. That has crossed my mind too
EastwoodS

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »

The only way this would happen or even should happen is if the Democrats split up too. Why should we guarantee our lose every single time by splitting up?
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »

The only way this would happen or even should happen is if the Democrats split up too. Why should we guarantee our lose every single time by splitting up?

The only way it *might* happen is if the GOP loses the GA runoffs and the conservative-but-not-as-Trumpy wing gets absolutely publicly furious at the hardcore MAGA wing for blowing the Senate thanks to low MAGA turnout (which may or may not happen). Or Trump splits off after this whole election process is finished. Then, the Dems split a few months later after Biden refuses to pursue some major progressive policy goal. Needless to say... unlikely
James Ericson
mbc
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »

Yes, the United states should transition to a 4 party system. The GOP should move to the center, while the far-right would be pushed into another party. The same thing should happen to the Dems and the more liberal wing of the party. (I will not describe any Democrats as far-left because even the views of the most liberal Dems would only be considered center-left in Canada)
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »

On what lines would it break up, 94% of Republicans voted for Trump, virtually all Republican voters and many elected officials agree on everything, there is just a small remnant that is out of touch with the party but that group is shrinking every year via retirements of those officials or those Republican voters dying of old age or leaving the party. 
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »

The Trump and Romney wings of the Republican Party are mostly in alignment in terms of policy; it's just that the latter emphasizes professionalism much more than the former. On that basis, there really isn't sufficient grounds for these two wings to split apart.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »

The idea of their being a Romney or a Trump wing of the party is itself misleading. Romney and Trump are two sides of the same coin, in that they are both NE Business types who used nationalist appeals to overcome impure records on conservative orthodoxy, and were thus able to both win the primary as a result. Trump just took it much further, won the Presidency and crossed many lines that Romney considered inappropriate in doing so.

They both had the same conceptualization who should lead the party (a rich business guy- themselves), they both had the same idea of how to win the primary (immigration and more so for Trump for still true for Romney - Trade) and they both had the same notions about what cost Republicans 2012 and who should be won over in its wake.

The differences are tactics, extent and willingness to cross certain red lines of appropriate behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies