dirt on Webb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  dirt on Webb
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: dirt on Webb  (Read 6202 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 04:26:20 PM »

On the other hand, Webb is so dead in the water that the oppo researchers might not even bother.

I wouldn't be too sure about that yet.  If the Allen campaign didn't take him seriously, why would they have started airing commercials already?  It's kinda early to start running television spots.  I've been working in Webb's Northern Virginia campaign headquarters.  Webb still has a fighting chance, and if he continues to conduct a strong grassroots effort in the Northern Virginia, Richmond, the Shenandoah Valley, and the Hampton Roads area, he should be able to make this race very close.

I respect that you stand up for your guy. BUT: no candidate facing this kind of money deficit has ever won. Allen is fairly high profile in DC and the fact he at least appears to have influence makes him a lock for reelection. Virginia tends to vote in a self-interested way, rather than an ideological or partisan way.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 04:36:38 PM »

just curious, did webb write some things back in the 70s that were extremely critical of women serving in the military?
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 04:45:42 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2006, 04:59:48 PM by NewFederalist »

just curious, did webb write some things back in the 70s that were extremely critical of women serving in the military?

My take on AuH2O's comment was that it is more scandalous than that.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »

Well Webb was a Republican. That's not a scandal. But I don't think mitty was referring to the thread topic, his question was separate.

So far as the former, it's just your basic personal things that usually come out in campaigns. Think Rudy Guiliani. But in this case, there may be so little interest that it either takes a while or is successfully suppressed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

I still have no idea as to what this thread is about, so that.

Seems to me like Webb's only much problem presently is that he can't seem to raise any funds.  His July fundraising report was the least impressive of any serious Senate candidate I saw.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 11:59:51 PM »

Yes, he did.  It was simply called "Women Can't Fight".  He has since apolgized. 

Webb campaign strategist Steve Jarding has said the position Webb took on women in combat was common throughout the military in the 1970s and 1980s.

"If you follow through on when he was Navy secretary, his record of appointing women to high-level positions at the Department of the Navy was unprecedented," Jarding said.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »

Webb appears to be a silly populist..NOT what VA needs.

Your right... Virginia needs more people who show pictures of defeated traitorous confederate armies telling them how to win.

(with tounge firmly planted in cheek)

"To tar the sacrifices of the Confederate soldier as simple acts of racism, and reduce the battle flag under which he fought to nothing more than the symbol of a racist heritage, is one of the great blasphemies of our modern age."

~ James Webb, former U.S. Navy Secretary
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2006, 01:01:29 AM »

Your right... Virginia needs more people who show pictures of defeated traitorous confederate armies telling them how to win.

"To tar the sacrifices of the Confederate soldier as simple acts of racism, and reduce the battle flag under which he fought to nothing more than the symbol of a racist heritage, is one of the great blasphemies of our modern age."

So I assume you are supporting Webb? Smiley

Based on the hints Goldwater has dropped here, it seems likely the revelation will be of an affair of some sort. That would hardly be news for a politician, of course. Guiliani's hardly seems to have tarnished him.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2006, 07:07:46 AM »

Excellent quote, States!  It's very true that the memory of the Confederacy has been unjustly reduced to being racist when it was a struggle by the South to resist the overpowering influence of the federal government.This is another reason I like Webb as a candidate -he resists the constant submission to "political correctness" that some in the Democratic Party believe should be mandatory.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:30 AM »

Excellent quote, States!  It's very true that the memory of the Confederacy has been unjustly reduced to being racist when it was a struggle by the South to resist the overpowering influence of the federal government.

That's ridiculous Senator Virgin. - the purpose of their struggle against the 'overpowering influence of the federal government' was to preserve their power to implement racism.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2006, 03:01:31 PM »

It's still true even if it didn't come out in the campaign.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »

But Allen has had marital troubles in the past as well.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »

That could be a reason Allen didn't go after Webb on his infidelities. Also it could be that Allen didn't have enough corroboration, Webb family members I spoke to weren't going to say anything (but others knew as well and I thought a Republican somewhere would talk).

If Allen was a Democrat and Webb a Republican, though, Webb would have been hit for a lot more than he has been.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2006, 05:21:37 PM »

LOL
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

lol, stumbled on this thread while just surfing.  Allen's campaign was simply the best in the election cycle, no doubt about it Smiley
Deano963

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »

This thread is golden, if just for all the quotes about how weak a candidate Jim Webb is.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »

As true as Webb being dead in the water?

That's another wrong prediction by you, by the way.  Might want to work on actually getting some correct ones so you can actually, you know... not be lying through your teeth when you claim that 90% of your predictions come true.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »

it really doesny matter.

allen will win by 10 points.

I would love to turn you into another MyPalFish for this prediction.

Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 11:39:35 PM »

I probably shouldn't be posting this, but I heard from a 100% accurate source that Webb has some personal issues from the past that will come out at some point, and probably hurt him a little. After all, Virginia is still a relatively conservative state... marital issues won't help him since he already has a tough hill to climb.

I figured I could mention it here since no one would actually believe it, but then when it comes out I can brag about it a little. Though maybe I would have to be more specific first, which I'm a tad wary to do. Suffice it to say the last name of the source is "Webb."

I'm just creating this thread now so I can point to it later.

This reminds me of the posts on various baseball boards I visit.  There's always some poster with "inside information" about the latest trade, callup or free agent signing. 

Usually, they know someone inside the organization.  Like the cotton candy salesman.  Or the General manager's paperboy's barber.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »

Maybe they are saving this "information" to use against him in his 2012 reelection campaign. Smiley
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 02:07:12 AM »

This is a great thread!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »

Bump for laughs.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2007, 12:32:38 AM »

This should definitely be up there with the mypalfish thread.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2007, 12:34:17 AM »

How come AuH20 doesn't post here anymore? Sad
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »

How come AuH20 doesn't post here anymore? Sad

Maybe he got a bit tired of making bumbling predictions Wink. Either that or the flack he got for doing so Grin

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies