Why do People Consider Florida Likely R ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:23:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do People Consider Florida Likely R ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do People Consider Florida Likely R ?  (Read 1999 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:25:33 AM »

Ok the state trended against the democrats by around 5 points, that means literally nothing looking back to past elections. States like Indiana and Iowa trended incredibly democrat in 2008 and 2020, Indiana had a 12+ point democratic trend and Iowa trended left in 2012. This meant less than nothing in the subsequent election where they experienced massive swings.

The state is still a toss-up.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:48:17 AM »

No state has had a consistent trend in one direction; even states like MI, AZ, and GA have bounced back and forth a little bit. It makes it challenging to know whether FL will actually continue to trend rightwards, if it will stagnate, or if it'll bounce back a bit; still have to give the GOP a slight edge, but likely R is very premature in my view, especially this far out.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »

Personally, I think it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sure, Dems could win Florida. But now we know we don't have to, and it's an expensive place to try to sink resources into. So, I suspect campaign managers will make it lower priority than it has been in years past.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »

Personally, I think it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sure, Dems could win Florida. But now we know we don't have to, and it's an expensive place to try to sink resources into. So, I suspect campaign managers will make it lower priority than it has been in years past.

Though winning FL does block off any GOP path and the furthest left Ds can get it to vote relative to the nation, the smaller R's EC advantage gets. I would still heavily invest for 2024, and if it votes 7% to the right of the nation again, place it lower on the priority list going forwards.
Red Wall

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »

Dems can only win Florida with Hillary mumbers in Dade and Bill Nelson numbers in Duval, Orange, Pinellas and Hillsborough. Obama coalition not possible anymore.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »

Florida voted 7 points to the right of the US at large. That is generally considered the definition of "likely R" in a neutral environment? Though I guess I can see an argument for Lean R too; especially if you do believe that the PV favours Dems in perpetuity now.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »

it's literally trump's home state. biden wouldn't have won DE by as much if he was from, IDK, Washington State.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »

it's literally trump's home state. biden wouldn't have won DE by as much if he was from, IDK, Washington State.
I can assure you, not a single Floridan thinks of Trump as one.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »

I disagree. trump spent large portions of the winter in Florida and called Mar-A-Lago the "Winter White House" or the "Southern White House."  He'll likely live there when he retires. It may have had a bigger effect than you might expect.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »

I disagree. trump spent large portions of the winter in Florida and called Mar-A-Lago the "Winter White House" or the "Southern White House."  He'll likely live there when he retires. It may have had a bigger effect than you might expect.

1. What Trump says and what Floridans think are two different beasts.

2. You can't compare the home state effect of Biden (whose state has 960,000 people, and who has lived in it for over half a century and represented it in the Senate for 36 years) with that of Trump (whose state has more than 20,000,000 people, and who moved there a couple years ago after having been a lifelong New Yorker).
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »

I disagree. trump spent large portions of the winter in Florida and called Mar-A-Lago the "Winter White House" or the "Southern White House."  He'll likely live there when he retires. It may have had a bigger effect than you might expect.

1. What Trump says and what Floridans think are two different beasts.

2. You can't compare the home state effect of Biden (whose state has 960,000 people, and who has lived in it for over half a century and represented it in the Senate for 36 years) with that of Trump (whose state has more than 20,000,000 people, and who moved there a couple years ago after having been a lifelong New Yorker).

1. yes, I'm simply stating the fact that trump spent a lot of his time in Florida as POTUS.

2. Barack Obama received a colossal home-state boost across IL, which is similarly sized to FL but more centered around  1 metro.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »

No state has had a consistent trend in one direction; even states like MI, AZ, and GA have bounced back and forth a little bit. It makes it challenging to know whether FL will actually continue to trend rightwards, if it will stagnate, or if it'll bounce back a bit; still have to give the GOP a slight edge, but likely R is very premature in my view, especially this far out.

FL has actually trended R in every election since 2000, barring 2012
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »

Because the top four Republican contenders (Donald Trump, Ron DeSantis, Marco Rubio, and Rick Scott) are literal “Florida Men”?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »

Because Florida Democrats are lazy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »

Florida's trend this election was significant compared to most other states, as this was one of the most stable election swings in US history. But overall, it is not the end of the world for Florida Dems. The trend is not guaranteed to continue, much of the state actually swung Dem in 2020 but was more than offset by the monster gains made by the GOP in Miami-Dade and to a smaller extent Orlando and the rest of southeast Florida. But it is absolutely not a toss-up, OP. It has voted to the right of the country in every election since the 70's, and now it's voted more right of the country since 1988. I don't think there's any real justification for calling it a toss-up anymore, in a competitive election at least.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »

People are assuming that Democrats will continue to struggle with Cubans. They might, but it's not a given.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »

It has a Cuban Embargo on it and if Rick Scott feels that he is endangered he would give his seat to Matt Gaetz. FL, OH, and IA aren't needed to clinch the EC college for D's anyways, it's wave insurance. But, there is a chance since FL votes for INCUMBENTS that D's can finally win it
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

No. FL is Likely R because Democrats have a hard ceiling there. The only reason Democrats have a chance there in 2024 is because an incumbent Biden could be running and/or the economy could be very good. Rubio and DeSantis are safe for 2022, however.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »

Dems consider Florida likely R due to PTSD from previous elections.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »

Because it is. The state party is basically useless.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 09:28:20 PM by Kansas City Suburbanite for Orman-Clinton-Kelly For Marshall »

It is tilt R/lean R hybrid.  If the Cuban/Hispanic swing is permanent then FL is going to be permanently Lean R, it could be a fluke like in the RGV. Both Hillary and Biden were good fits for Florida, they both blew Bernie out of the water in the primary, but Trump was a even better Florida candidate.

I think in 2024, FL will be to the right of TX. FL was only 2.3 points to the right of TX this year.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »

Florida hasn't been more D than the US as a whole for a very long time. It has not been extremely close in a close election since 2000. Florida has a Republican machine that can sway an election to itself in a close national election... but it is wise enough to know to not cheat in a loss.

It does swing. It has voted for Democratic nominees in two of the last six, and three of the last eight elections.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 11:50:24 PM »

Biden grew up in Delaware and was a senator from that state for 36 years. It's also a very small state that has a smaller population than the Tulsa metropolitan area. Whatever "home" state advantage that lifelong New Yorker Trump may have had in Florida is nowhere near what Biden would have in Delaware.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

If the Democrats are the party of New York values, the GOP has become the party of Florida values.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »

Last gubernatorial Dem win: 1994

Last class II senate Dem win: 2012

Last class III senate Dem win: 1998

Last presidential Dem win: 2012
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: