Username Origins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:29:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Username Origins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Username Origins  (Read 4250 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2020, 10:20:11 PM »

What did you choose your username for? Is it named after a fictional character? Your political views? Just your regular first name?

Shockingly, my username is named after a character from Super Mario 64.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »

What did you choose your username for? Is it named after a fictional character? Your political views? Just your regular first name?
Yep.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:23:08 PM »

My first and last name.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:26:46 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2020, 01:30:30 AM by The Runaway American Dream »

The Decemberists' album the Crane Wife is one of my favorites. It's based on a Japanese folk tale. I've always been intrigued by birds especially exotic breeds.

Runaway American Dream is a phrase from the opening line of Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:28:31 PM »

It's a more "refined" version of a username I used on forums and Wikia a decade back, when I was a cringy middle schooler. I'll copy and paste what I posted on a different forum a few years back:

Quote from: skbl17 in a different time and different place
So, my username is skbl17. At first glance, it seems like a random string of letters and numbers, but there's an actual meaning behind it. To see it, we have to break down "skbl17" into two parts.

skbl17 = skbl + 17

The skbl is short for "school bus lover" (if you want to know why it's then not "scbl" instead of "skbl", it has to do with Gmail.) When I was younger, I was a school bus enthusiast. I was fascinated by these giant yellow vehicles that are given the monumental task of getting millions of students to and from school every day. You could say that I became a bit obsessed; I had several school bus models, owned a red notebook full of school bus drawings, and could name almost every brand of school bus (IC, Thomas, AmTran, Ward, Blue Bird, etc.) and could even tell what year they were from just by looking at the exterior and listening to the engine note. I'm not like that anymore, but I can't deny the fact that I was an enthusiast. Looking back on those days, I will admit that it was an odd phase of my life, but it was just as much a part of me as black hair and glasses.

The 17 is much simpler. That's how old I was when I created this account and my "skbl17" accounts on all related websites.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »

Not too complicated, I live on the West Coast and I’m a Democrat. Admittedly, I probably should’ve put in more effort when making my username  Tongue
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 10:39:35 PM »

Truncation of "Pokemon Boy". The more things change...
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:43:54 PM »

Truncation of "Pokemon Boy". The more things change...

Peegs!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 10:47:22 PM »

I tried it, doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »

My original username ("Republitarian") roughly described what I considered to be my political views at the time of making my account. As time passed I started to dislike the name, so I changed my display name to "Goldwater", because Barry Goldwater was one of my favorite politicians. As quite a few can probably tell, I have shifted somewhat to left since making my username(s), although I actually do still have quite a bit of respect for Barry Goldwater.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 11:31:41 PM »

Relevant:
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »

i'm so proud of ashley ketchum for learning to be herself
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 11:44:48 PM »

same
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »

Santander is my username so that I can make racist comments and support racist politicians while hiding behind a name that suggests that I'm Hispanic.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 12:10:50 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2020, 01:24:56 PM by gracile »

I first heard the word years ago in a university anthropology course, and it is a term generally used in anthropological circles to describe hominid species who have slender physical features. Specifically, members of the genus Australopithecus are sometimes called "gracile australopithecines" because of their smaller skull size in comparison to members of the genus Paranthropus - commonly referred to as "robust australopithecines" - who had a much broader skull (with a sagittal crest), larger mandible, and flatter face that differentiated itself from the rounder, prognathic faces of the gracile australopithecines. However, despite these differences, there is considerable debate within the scientific community whether or not these two groups of hominids belong in different genera.

Anyway, I chose this username because the word "gracile" sounded interesting and stuck with me through the years. (And hopefully I won't have to request a name change to "robust" if I gain a bunch of weight and suddenly become a robust hominid myself. Tongue)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 12:14:05 AM »

Ten years ago-when I was twelve-I created a project ("the Calathrinan Empire"), around a fictional country, as can be found here: https://empireofcalthrina.fandom.com/wiki/Calathrinan_Empire. My account utilizes the name which I gave that fictional country, and I've used the same username for my accounts on several other websites, including CityData.com, AlternateHistory.com, and Disqus, among others. Obviously, my original account with this username is at Fandom, formerly known as Wikia, and was created around the same time that I began the project (January 2010).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 12:22:53 AM »

Literally just my middle name, which is what I go by instead of my first.

With hindsight, I wish I picked a more creative name when I first registered, but by now it's stuck for so long.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »

The Decemberists' album the Crane Wife is one of my favorites. I've always been intrigued by birds especially exotic birds.

Runaway American Dream is a phrase from the opening line of Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.

I prefer Badlands myself

Old men want to be rich
Rich men want to be Kings
A king is never satisfied until he rules everything!

Seems rather relevant right now.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 12:32:36 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2020, 12:36:20 AM by EastOfEden »

Not the book, actually.

I might like to change it, but it seems like I’ve become too known under this name here already and people would keep using it anyway.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:12 AM »

I used to post on the ElectionProjections website run by Scott Elliot in the 2006-2008 time period as Displaced PA GOPer, which was itself derived from someone with a similar sounding name who commented on that site. However around early 2008, he eliminated commenting on his website because it got out of control. I discovered Atlas back in 2004 for the maps and made an account on the site in 2007, but didn't discover the forum until August 2008, which is when I made my account. Scott listed Atlas on a list of recommended sites along with a blog by a guy named Confederate Yankee.

Playing off that design, I came with North Carolina Yankee when I registered for the forum in 2008, which is why my forum display name and my Atlas account have different usernames. The former being from 2007, is before I came up with the idea for the forum account name. At atlas username and the one I thus predict and endorse under is Dav64, which is the first three letters of my first name and 64 is just a multiple of 4 and I like multiples of 4.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 01:09:57 AM »

ExtremeRepublican is a time capsule to me circa 2015.  Truthfully, before I came to truly know Christ as my Savior (in 2017), I almost worshipped the GOP platform as a source of perfect truth.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 01:21:39 AM »

I actually made mine up a LLOOONNNNGGG time ago back during the good ole days of gay.com chat rooms. Southeast Missouri (SEMO) I noticed huh, -emo and figured that since I'm a Democrat, I could just change the D with an S. My very best friend (whom I actually met in the gay.com chat rooms), his very first message to me on there was, "Does semocrat mean Democrat from SEMO?" Purple heart
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 01:26:16 AM »

I used to post on the ElectionProjections website run by Scott Elliot in the 2006-2008 time period as Displaced PA GOPer, which was itself derived from someone with a similar sounding name who commented on that site. However around early 2008, he eliminated commenting on his website because it got out of control. I discovered Atlas back in 2004 for the maps and made an account on the site in 2007, but didn't discover the forum until August 2008, which is when I made my account. Scott listed Atlas on a list of recommended sites along with a blog by a guy named Confederate Yankee.

Playing off that design, I came with North Carolina Yankee when I registered for the forum in 2008, which is why my forum display name and my Atlas account have different usernames. The former being from 2007, is before I came up with the idea for the forum account name. At atlas username and the one I thus predict and endorse under is Dav64, which is the first three letters of my first name and 64 is just a multiple of 4 and I like multiples of 4.

I use to post comments on that site as well, in fact that is how I found this one in 2004 as it was linked there.

As far as my name, just copied my old AOL screen name, which was just some random name I made up when I first got the internet around 1997 when I was in high school.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 01:35:15 AM »

The Decemberists' album the Crane Wife is one of my favorites. I've always been intrigued by birds especially exotic birds.

I prefer Badlands myself

Old men want to be rich
Rich men want to be Kings
A king is never satisfied until he rules everything!

Seems rather relevant right now.

I think that's poor men, not old men, but yes.

I was just reading an article that Amazon's CEO, who has employees living out of their cars and on food stamps, wants to put a woman on the moon. What a picture perfect example of the failures of late stage capitalism. So Bruce was right.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 04:19:06 AM »

Fubart Solman is derived from FUBAR and SOL, with additions to make them resemble a name.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies