Sainte Genevieve county, Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:47:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Sainte Genevieve county, Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sainte Genevieve county, Missouri  (Read 425 times)
iceman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »

Why was this county the last rural county to flip R in Missouri? It was the only rural county in Missouri I believe Obama won in 2012.
scooby
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »

Lead belt union influence combined with very high rates of Catholicism compared to the surrounding region created a winning coalition there. Even Galloway won it in ‘18.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »

Much of my family is from Ste Genevieve County and the Missouri lead belt.

I spent the last decade and a half watching them vote straight ticket Democratic in 2008 to Romney/down ballot Democrats in 2012 to becoming Trump cultists and voting against McCaskill in 2018.

The heavily union presence in Ste Genevieve is the main reason Democrats held out there for long.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:19:03 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2020, 01:31:16 AM by EastOfEden »

Could have had a #populist Purple heart Trump/Galloway county but noooo, polarization says that just can’t be done.

Sad to see it go.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 01:22:37 AM »

Why was this county the last rural county to flip R in Missouri? It was the only rural county in Missouri I believe Obama won in 2012.

Obama did not carry Ste Genevieve in 2012. It was the only rural county that Kerry carried in 2004 though.

I know the map of Missouri in 2004 looks almost like 2020 but the differences are stark. Much of the lead belt was essentially at the national median and still very down ballot Democratic. At the people people assumed that region would vote Democratic in 2008 in handily if a Democrat won the presidency. The 2008 results were split in the region from Jefferson County deep into the lead belt and Obama.

Few imagined that that the area would swing heavily Republican in a scenario in which a Democrat won re-election to the presidency.

I work in an industry in which unionization can be a hazard to operations and workers alike but the decline of labor unions has been devastating to the Democrats from a structural electoral perspective. There is little reason for people in that part of Missouri to vote for Democrats now. And in areas that like it makes almost no sense to propose 15 dollar minimum wages, lockdowns, etc.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 01:32:04 AM »

Thought I’d add - for those wondering about just how strong unionization is, or at least used to be, in this county: it voted 85% against right-to-work in 2018, second only to St. Louis City (88%).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies