How can Dems win rural voters? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:48:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How can Dems win rural voters? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can Dems win rural voters?  (Read 4245 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« on: December 05, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »

I think it has to do with explaining their policies. This election, their message was for the most part, anti-Trump, and I think in hindsight they could've done a better job of explaining to voters, particularly those in these rural communities, why the Democratic platform would benefit them.
Voters don’t vote on policy. Period.

I think with better messaging Democrats could manage to do about 5% better in rural areas, which would go a long way
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »

They can't. You can't fight realignment.

This isn't true. Democrats aren't going to be winning the rural vote anytime soon, but like I said, there's a big difference between getting less than 30% of the rural vote and getting 35% of the rural vote, and making a concerted effort to appeal to these voters' concerns will win over some of them.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

They can't. You can't fight realignment.

This isn't true. Democrats aren't going to be winning the rural vote anytime soon, but like I said, there's a big difference between getting less than 30% of the rural vote and getting 35% of the rural vote, and making a concerted effort to appeal to these voters' concerns will win over some of them.

Well, you can fight realignment, but it's a bad idea. You'll just be disappointed again and again.

Rural performance for Dems seems to be more a #candidatequality thing than anything else right now. I'm not sure what more the party could do to make itself more appealing in rural areas. These rural voters don't hate the policy, they hate the D next to the person's name. We need more of those magical candidates like Joe Manchin who make people say "he's a Democrat, but he's our Democrat." They hate the D. You can be as liberal as you want as long as you can get people to look past the D.

It takes years of local organizing in order to build trust in candidates like that. The longterm trust that's built in these rural communities has to come before the quality candidates can win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies