How can Dems win rural voters? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:16:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How can Dems win rural voters? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can Dems win rural voters?  (Read 4251 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: December 05, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2020, 10:04:03 PM by R.P. McM »

They can't because everything about the contemporary Democratic Party seeths with disdain and contempt for rural people.  You can't have a liberal media/ruling class that openly ridicules "small town" values and takes aim at rural conservatives (like Bill Maher and Chelsea Handler have been doing for decades) and not expect it to affect Democrats' electoral chances in the Heartland.  The change that happened during the Obama years was two-fold:  the "Jon Stewart" generation of Democratic staffers and activists (college kids of the 1990s/2000s, basically) came into professional politics, and Democratic leadership caved to their worst instincts in painting their Tea Party opposition as "rubeish" yokels.

I didn't prior to 2016, but yeah, supporting a racist, authoritarian sexual predator who essentially committed treason is a thoroughly despicable act. So yeah, I now believe Trump's supporters are trash. I can't help it if a bunch of rural whites and evangelical Christians choose to identify themselves with said group. I mean, it's basically impossible to believe these folks are deeply concerned about "patriotism" and "moral values," yet still adamantly committed to reelecting Donald Trump. Obviously, they don't believe a word of what they've been saying for decades — they're just contemptible liars.

The Trump presidency has been immensely damaging to the notion that we should take Republican criticisms of Democratic administrations seriously. Unfortunately, I don't see any possibility of putting the toothpaste back in the tube.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 09:30:12 PM by R.P. McM »

They can't. They are a rich suburban white party who looks down on rural voters and working class voters. Thanks Obama!
No, we look down on idiots and traitors. If you happen to be rural or working class, that doesn’t change anything.
Sorry you can’t handle being asked to act like a human being.

Well, the truth is, Republican voters hate Democrats so much, they're perfectly willing to betray the rest of the nation to foreign interests. Hell, the GOP base is so demented, they can't even accept that Trump legitimately lost the presidential election. But the apologists can't say that — no, it's always someone else's fault. So they have to pretend rural whites have been massively insulted by prominent Democrats (they haven't), or imply (very delicately) that the rubes are just too stupid to understand the implications of their political behavior.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies