If the Supreme Court overturns Roe, who writes the decision?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:29:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If the Supreme Court overturns Roe, who writes the decision?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Samuel Alito

Amy Coney Barrett

Neil Gorsuch

Brett Kavanaugh

Clarence Thomas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: If the Supreme Court overturns Roe, who writes the decision?  (Read 864 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2020, 03:43:42 PM by President Elect Biden!! »

I believe Thomas would get to choose, but I’m wondering who would write it.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »

Plot twist: Roberts.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »

Obviously Barrett to own the feminazis. If you look at the rhetoric surrounding Barrett in the circles that stan and simp for her you'll find an awful lot of surprisingly overt acknowledgement that part of the point of having her on the Court is to have a woman who'd be willing to make rulings like this as a ward against accusations of misogyny. It's astoundingly coldhearted and manipulative smash-mouth judicial politics, and I say this as someone who both opposes abortion as a matter of morality and thinks Roe is a bunch of hocus pocus as a matter of legal reasoning.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »

Barrett will write the opinion that overturns Roe for the same reason they nominated Thomas to replace Thurgood Marshall.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »

Yeah, it'd definitely be Barrett, so as to prevent the optics of only having men decide how to control women's bodies. She lends female legitimacy.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »

Roberts will be in a majority that eventually overturns Roe v. Wade, but I don't think he'll write the decision.

I'll say it's either going to be Coney Barrett or a justice that has yet to be appointed.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

You would probably get some complicated 4/3/2 split on the current court, with the (narrow) Roberts/Kavanaugh joint concurrence being controlling, so I'll go with Roberts. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »

You would probably get some complicated 4/3/2 split on the current court, with the (narrow) Roberts/Kavanaugh joint concurrence being controlling, so I'll go with Roberts. 

This is also a distinct possibility, yeah.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »

This is also a distinct possibility, yeah.

I think the controlling opinion in this scenario would probably leave the husk of a constitutional right to abortion intact but gut the exercise of that right in practice, which I think you and I can agree would be the worst of both worlds.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »

Barrett will write the opinion that overturns Roe for the same reason they nominated Thomas to replace Thurgood Marshall.
Democrats might openly block minority conservative Justices/judges in the future, like they did with Estrada.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »

Obviously Barrett to own the feminazis. If you look at the rhetoric surrounding Barrett in the circles that stan and simp for her you'll find an awful lot of surprisingly overt acknowledgement that part of the point of having her on the Court is to have a woman who'd be willing to make rulings like this as a ward against accusations of misogyny. It's astoundingly coldhearted and manipulative smash-mouth judicial politics, and I say this as someone who both opposes abortion as a matter of morality and thinks Roe is a bunch of hocus pocus as a matter of legal reasoning.
Who would you like to see write it, then?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »

Who would you like to see write it, then?

Currently, none of these yahoos. I'd like to see any decision repudiating, gutting, or substantially modifying the Roe precedent be written by a pro-life woman who isn't a self-promoting fraud, but that's not the pro-life woman we actually have on the Court. Of the actually-existing conservative Supreme Court justices, Gorsuch would probably be the least offensive to me, mostly because he's the least offensive to me just in general.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies