The only McCain-Romney-Clinton-Trump county. Or: The anti-bellwether county #1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:35:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The only McCain-Romney-Clinton-Trump county. Or: The anti-bellwether county #1
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The only McCain-Romney-Clinton-Trump county. Or: The anti-bellwether county #1  (Read 1660 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2020, 06:05:51 AM »

Yes, I've discovered the - probably - only county that has voted for the overall loser four times in a row, thus becoming the main antagonist of Clallam County, Washington. 😄
Can you find it, too? 🤔
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 06:43:54 AM »

I checked and double checked all the counties on my list of Clinton-Trump counties and nope.

Kenedy TX is a Romney-Clinton-Trump country but Obama '08.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:46:50 AM »

I checked and double checked all the counties on my list of Clinton-Trump counties and nope.

Does your list also include all parishes?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »

No parish in Louisiana has flipped since 2008.

As far as the other state without counties is concerned, I know that Haines Borough went McCain-Romney-Clinton, but I can't find 2020 results for it anywhere at the moment.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

As far as the other state without counties is concerned, I know that Haines Borough went McCain-Romney-Clinton, but I can't find 2020 results for it anywhere at the moment.

Haines is the correct answer. I asked for parishes because I wanted to know if county-equivalents are also among bagelman's list without making it too obvious.

Here are the official results for Haines Borough, Alaska:

Donald Trump
55.44%
Joe Biden
40.37%
Jo Jorgensen
1.57%
Jesse Ventura
0.92%
Don Blankenship
0.79%
Brock Pierce
0.26%
write-ins
0.66%
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »

The following are all of the McCain-Romney-Clinton counties according to Ballotpedia:

Orange, CA
Cobb, GA
Gwinnett, GA
Henry, GA
Anne Arundel, MD
Fort Bend, TX

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of these counties voted for Biden in 2020. As for boroughs, while they are county level equivalents, I'm 99% certain that Alaska certifies its election results by state house districts, not boroughs.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »

Haines is the correct answer. I asked for parishes because I wanted to know if county-equivalents are also among bagelman's list without making it too obvious.

Here are the official results for Haines Borough, Alaska:

Donald Trump
55.44%
Joe Biden
40.37%
Jo Jorgensen
1.57%
Jesse Ventura
0.92%
Don Blankenship
0.79%
Brock Pierce
0.26%
write-ins
0.66%

Sorry man doesn't count everyone already knows the seals and the bears committed voter fraud in Alaska so all their election results are invalid
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »

But what's the cause for Haine's aberrant voting behavior?
I guess Haines is principally a conservative village, and their ostensible support for Hillary was merely due to an abnormally high third-party performance?

It's Alaska. Everything's backwards there.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 11:29:37 AM »

But what's the cause for Haine's aberrant voting behavior?
In my assessment, it seems reasonable to assume that Haines is principally a conservative village, and their ostensible support for Hillary was merely due to an abnormally high third-party performance?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »

Alaska does not attribute absentee ballots to election precincts, therefore the election results by precinct will skew Republican.

In HD-33, the district that includes Haines, Absentee ballots were 77.7% Biden; while election day results were 49.8% for Biden. There were 1.76 times as many absentee ballots as election day ballot.

The differential may not be as large as 27.9%. Alaska permits in person early voting, but only at regional elections offices. Juneau is in HD-33 so a large number of early votes came from Juneau residents, and likely very few from Haines or Skagway. This would have cannibalized some of the election day voting from Juneau. Had some of these voters waited until election day, the election day results would have been more than 49.8% for Biden.

If we assume that Haines absentee votes were 1.5 times as many as in-person votes, and they were 15% more favorable to Biden, then Biden won Haines 911 to 697.
Red Wall

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »

Speaking of it, is TX-23 the only district who voted for the losing candidate every single election since 2012? It's a Romney-Clinton-Trump district.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »

Speaking of it, is TX-23 the only district who voted for the losing candidate every single election since 2012? It's a Romney-Clinton-Trump district.

Yes
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »

Alaska does not attribute absentee ballots to election precincts, therefore the election results by precinct will skew Republican.

In HD-33, the district that includes Haines, Absentee ballots were 77.7% Biden; while election day results were 49.8% for Biden. There were 1.76 times as many absentee ballots as election day ballot.

I get your point, but at some point we must rely on official data if we want to compile statistics.
Moreover, I don't understand your calculation. The share of voters (inhabitants) living in the HD-33 part of Juneau compared to all voters living in HD 33 must be

(31,974 - 710,249 / 40) / (710,249 / 40).

Correct? (As I understand, HD 34 completely consists of a major chunk of Juneau only.)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »

I get your point, but at some point we must rely on official data if we want to compile statistics.
Moreover, I don't understand your calculation. The share of voters (inhabitants) living in the HD-33 part of Juneau compared to all voters living in HD 33 must be

(31,974 - 710,249 / 40) / (710,249 / 40).

Correct? (As I understand, HD 34 completely consists of a major chunk of Juneau only.)

Official Results for HD-33 (PDF)

In HD-33 there are 11,995 registered voters in Juneau (including Douglas). There are 2422 in Haines, 1246 in Skagway, 561 in Gustavus, and 82 in Klukwan.

So the 16306 registered voters in HD-33 are distributed:

Juneau: 73.6%.
Haines: 14.9%
Skagway: 7.6%
Gustavus: 3.4%
Klukwan: 0.5%

Election Day Votes:

Juneau: 1722 (58.1%) 14.4% of registered.
Haines: 763 (25.8%) 31.5% of registered.
Skagway: 249 (8.4%) 20.0% of registered.
Gustavus: 191 (6.4%) 34.0% of registered.
Klukwan: 37 (1.2%) 45.1% of registered.

But you also have to consider early voting. Early voting is only available in regional elections offices. If you live in Haines, you will early vote only if you had other business in Juneau or were flying out, and perhaps took a flight from Haines to Juneau ($381 round trip, via 8-passenger Cessna 207).

So we add in all Early Voting to Juneau only.

In Person Votes:

Juneau: 4342 (77.8%) 36.0% of registered.
Haines: 763 (13.7%) 31.5% of registered.
Skagway: 249 (4.5%) 20.0% of registered.
Gustavus 191 (3.4%) 34.0% of registered.
Klukwan 37 (0.7%) 45.1% of registered.

This distribution pretty much matches registration. Smaller isolated villages in other parts of Alaska tended to have higher shares of in-person voting. I suspect that it is harder to deal with mail-in ballots than it is simply to go to the polling place on election with a few dozen others on election day, and there is less risk of COVID exposure. This would explain Klukwan.

In Person Votes:

Juneau: Biden 68%:Trump 32%
Juneau (Election Day): Biden 53%:Trump 41%
Juneau (Early Voting): Biden 73%:Trump 24%

Gustavus: Biden 55%:Trump 39%
Skagway: Biden 53%:Trump 37%
Haines: Biden 40%:Trump 55%
Klukwan: Biden 76%:Trump 14%

District In Person Votes:

5600 votes: Biden 60%:Trump 34%

District Election Day:

2968 votes: Biden 50%:Trump 44%

District Absentee:

5237 votes: Biden 77%:Trump 19%

The number of absentee votes is about the same as the number of in-person votes, but 16% more Biden-leaning.

But the in-person votes includes early voting in Juneau. This will cannibalize both absentee voting and election day voting. If you go to the elections office in Juneau to get an absentee ballot, you might be inclined to just go ahead and vote. Juneau is not a very big city and the Juneau part of HD-34 is downtown. It is not an outrageous trip to early vote. But it will also cut into the election day vote in Juneau. If you are going to a polling place, it doesn't matter much if you do it a week or two early.

SO we conclude that there at least as many absentee votes in Haines as there election day votes, and that they were more favorable for Biden than the election day votes were for Trump.

Conclusion: Biden carried the total vote in Haines.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »

Conclusion: Biden carried the total vote in Haines.

Your calculations and your conclusion might be correct, and it is very likely that they indeed are, but in the end we don't know for sure and never will. Thus, let's just treat the official, absentee-vote-free results of Haines Borough like Schrödinger's cat and perceive them as correct, just for the sake of their uniqueness.

I wonder if it were easier to get the genuine results of that borough if a mayoral election had taken place in Haines on Election Day...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies