What happened in Inyo County, California this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:32:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happened in Inyo County, California this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened in Inyo County, California this year?  (Read 875 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2020, 12:26:00 AM »

Inyo County, California is a small, rural, almost 80% white county in California.

It has a sizable indigenous population where 43% of voters are registered Republicans and only 30.9% Democrat.

What made this rural county swing 14 points and flip to Biden for the first Democratic win in decades as California at large was trending towards Republicans slightly?

I hate threads like this but this is baffling to me.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 01:33:51 AM »

Turnout increased here compared to 2016, and most of this additional turnout went to the Democrats. Independent voters make up the lion's share of voters not registered to either Democrats or Republicans, and this group strongly backed Biden this year.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »

Any ski resorts in Inyo?  They swung hard left just about everywhere this year.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 11:28:07 PM »

I made a topic about this: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=410625.0

Is it a sure thing that Biden won Inyo though? Last time I checked, Biden only lead by 12 votes and 5 percent of the county's votes are yet to be counted.
forsythvoter

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »

Many rural parts of the Pacific and Mountain West seem to have swung Dem this year, probably for similar reasons as what caused Upstate NY and New England to swing Dem. Seems like these areas typically are predominately white, but not very religious and had some degree of Trump fatigue.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »

I made a topic about this: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=410625.0

Is it a sure thing that Biden won Inyo though? Last time I checked, Biden only lead by 12 votes and 5 percent of the county's votes are yet to be counted.

If there's really 5% still out, it will probably flip back to Trump given how the late count in the rest of CA has gone. 
forsythvoter

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 02:20:02 PM »

If there's really 5% still out, it will probably flip back to Trump given how the late count in the rest of CA has gone. 

Inyo posted the final results yesterday on their county website - the final tally is 4,634 Biden - 4,620 Trump.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »

Inyo posted the final results yesterday on their county website - the final tally is 4,634 Biden - 4,620 Trump.

So it held.  Interesting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies