Lockdowns For My Adversaries, Not For My Allies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 04:56:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lockdowns For My Adversaries, Not For My Allies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lockdowns For My Adversaries, Not For My Allies  (Read 713 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »

This can be a megathread for public health officials that advocate for the most vapid of lockdowns but justify Leftist Virtue Signalers (to be kind) blowing off all COVID-19 restrictions.  It's being made in memory of those of you that face jail or citation for celebrating this holiday with your family.

We've certainly got this guy, who's a winner.

Is this "Following The Science"?  You tell me.

But as vapid as the Mark Levine is, he's not a "medical professional".  He's just a pol.  For sheer throwing the Science in the trash, let's consider Dr. Rob Davidson:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-dr-rob-davidson-coronavirus-white-house-protest

Davidson is a World Class Virtue Signaler when it comes to the White House:

"I was very concerned about the White House event last night, 1,500 people packed shoulder-to-shoulder, the head of the coronavirus task force [Vice President Mike Pence] in attendance without a mask with his family, his elderly mother without a mask. And it's concerning," Davidson told CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. "We know that people weren't tested, only people in direct contact with President Trump had testing done. So I think we're going to see cases out of that and it's modeling bad behavior."

Now this is somewhat common tut-tuttery.  What really grabbed my attention is what he said about a massive gathering at the National Mall:

"Now when we juxtapose that to what's happening in Washington D.C. right now, people are mostly wearing masks," Davidson continued. "Now true, there's social distancing issues. However, this is a public health crisis they are marching against. Systemic racism has taken so many lives in this country throughout our history. If you're born Black in this country in 2017, you have a three-and-a-half-year lower life expectancy than if you were born White. If you're a young Black man, you have a 1/1000 chance of being shot by police, three times more than if you were born White."

He added, "So I just think that when you're marching against a public health emergency, I think you do every risk mitigation procedure you can, but we understand that we have to do the risk-benefit analysis and those folks are doing something very important today."

The highlighted statement grabbed my attention.  It is something that ought to be offensive to the core of those who have suffered at the hands of politicians who have imposed lockdowns that have, by the day, become harder to defend.

Dr. Davidson, who was a Democratic candidate for Congress in 2018, can sympathize with the cost-benefit analysis of leftist virtue signalers.  What about the risk-benefit analysis of people whose businesses are their lives.  People who aren't Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates, but who have poured all of their savings into their business and will lose everything if they are forced to close up?  What about THEIR risk-benefit analysis?  What about the restauranteur whose life savings were invested in their business?  What about their employees?  What about their cost-benefit analysis?  What is the benefit to them and to society if they close versus staying open?  Or do they somehow not have the same rights of acting on cost-benefit analysis as the protesters at the Washington Mall?

What about the risk-benefit analysis of persons not being able to have the benefit of their actual Church family present for them in times of trouble?  Jesus, Himself, said of those that Believe:  "They will lay hands on the sick and they will recover."  Is that nonsense?  What about the cost-benefit analysis of those who are mandated by the unconstitutional hand of government to forgo the "assembling of one another" to strengthen each other in faith?  Why are people whose faith is actually in God not entitled to the same rights of assembly (and freedom from scorn for assembling) as liberal virtue signalers?  Justice Samuel Alito recently referred to the idea that some Constitutional Rights have become "disfavored".  Why are the rights of Church people disfavored, while the rights of leftist demonstrators, however peaceful, favored?  And why does Dr. Rob Davidson, this Front Line Doctor, this Man of Science, choose to favor one group and disfavor another?

What about families who cannot work from home whose children are not in in-person school despite the overwhelming body of evidence that children are not at significant risk at all?  Is the solution simply firing up the money printer?  Telecommuting isn't a solution, either, as one of the rules of most telecommuters working from home is that they are NOT providing caregiving during work hours.  The risk-benefit analysis of their situation certainly shows that their children are safe in school and their being in in-person school will allow them to go to work and not have to stay home or bear extra daycare expenses while their kids "virtually" learn.  Why must their lives and the lives of their families be sorely diminished because of someone else's risk-benefit analysis?

The costs to the lockdown have been borne disproportionately by businesspeople, by working parents who need the income, by religious people, by people that can't work from home.  They bought into staying home to "Flatten the Curve", and that was done, but they were then told that it wasn't good enough, and that they can't have their lives back.  (BLM and Antifa could, however.)  The cost-benefit analysis for those families is done, and the results are in; they are DEVASTATED, while those whose flow of resources isn't interrupted by the pandemic (Dr. Fauci, Gavin Newsome, pro-lockdown talking heads, unionized teachers in major cities) don't lose a thing.

It's time that people rise up against this.  It's time to recognize that the people making lockdown decisions have no care for what those locked down will lose.  It's time to expose the exceptions lockdown advocates have made for liberal activists as far as their wrath and condemnation goes.  It's time to call them out and say you've had enough.

That's what this thread is for.  It's a thread where people can follow the narrative I, the OP has set, and not veer off topic or spam with anti-Trump dogma.  It's time that those who are fed up with this particular hypocrisy, as manifested by Dr. Rob Davidson and Mark Levine (and others; please feel free to share other examples of the selective outrage and selective criticism by lockdown advocates toward those who won't conform.  Especially if your loved ones were unable to visit you because Czarina Kate of the Oregonian Empire or King Andrew of New York have threatened you with (unconstitutional) sanctions.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:27:12 PM »

GIGO
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 11:35:56 PM »

What do you mean by this?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:53:40 PM »

GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) is a concept common to computer science and mathematics: the quality of output is determined by the quality of the input. So, for example, if a mathematical equation is improperly stated, the answer is unlikely to be correct.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:58:18 PM »

GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) is a concept common to computer science and mathematics: the quality of output is determined by the quality of the input. So, for example, if a mathematical equation is improperly stated, the answer is unlikely to be correct.

I see. I think I've heard of that phrase before. So you're implying that Fuzzy Bear is dead wrong with what he says here? I thought he made this post on another thread earlier today.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 12:05:58 AM »

I see. I think I've heard of that phrase before. So you're implying that Fuzzy Bear is dead wrong with what he says here? I thought he made this post on another thread earlier today.

It's a rant.  I've mentioned elsewhere that none of these lock-downs need to be all that necessary.  The virus can't survive without being spread.  The people who complain about the lock-downs are the same people who refuse to wear masks or practice social distancing, and they therein necessitate the lock-downs with these irresponsible actions.

People like Fuzzy are the ones causing the virus to spread thereby necessitating the lock-downs, and then he complains about the lock-downs.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 03:24:02 AM »

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/420310/david-clark-resigns-as-health-minister-it-s-best-for-me-to-step-aside

It is possible to have accountability and we did it, there is not one rule for 'little people' and one rule for the elite. This was just over him going for a mountain bike ride in lockdown too.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 04:35:14 PM »

It's a rant.  I've mentioned elsewhere that none of these lock-downs need to be all that necessary.  The virus can't survive without being spread.  The people who complain about the lock-downs are the same people who refuse to wear masks or practice social distancing, and they therein necessitate the lock-downs with these irresponsible actions.

People like Fuzzy are the ones causing the virus to spread thereby necessitating the lock-downs, and then he complains about the lock-downs.

Prove that.  I don't believe you can, but I'll challenge you anyway.

I, by the way, have had COVID-19 (asymptomatic).  I am a 63 year old essential worker who's gone to work throughout this pandemic.  Lockdowns aren't killing me, economically.  They ARE hurting other people.  And it's worthwhile to note that those impacted most harshly by lockdowns are groups that have never been part of the current Democratic base.  Small business owners and churchgoers are two of the biggest groups of the Republican coalition these days.  The women who are most likely to have to quit working and stay home with kids out of school are working class women, a group moving away from the Democratic Party.  That's true.  It's also not likely to be coincidental.  People are not wrong to conclude that much COVID-19 policy has been to drive political objectives that have nothing to do with COVID-19.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2020, 05:31:31 PM by Crumpets »

Prove that.  I don't believe you can, but I'll challenge you anyway.

See below:
I, by the way, have had COVID-19 (asymptomatic).  I am a 63 year old essential worker who's gone to work throughout this pandemic.

Unless you took time off and self-isolated while you had COVID, regardless of whether or not you had symptoms, there's a decent chance you spread it to others. According to the CDC, asymptomatic carriers "are estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions." So even if you personally did not infect anyone, yes, "people like you" are responsible for the majority of cases.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »

Fuzzy never said he wouldn't wear a mask, IIRC he said he's a touch skeptical about their effectiveness but it makes his colleagues feel better so he wears it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »

See below:
I, by the way, have had COVID-19 (asymptomatic).  I am a 63 year old essential worker who's gone to work throughout this pandemic.

Unless you took time off and self-isolated while you had COVID, regardless of whether or not you had symptoms, there's a decent chance you spread it to others. According to the CDC, asymptomatic carriers "are estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions." So even if you personally did not infect anyone, yes, "people like you" are responsible for the majority of cases.

Well I did self-isolate for 14 days.

None of this justifies the level of lockdowns the pro-lockdown crowd has called for.  The previous lockdowns have not worked in eradicating the virus, and the level of compliance with the previous round of lockdowns was quite high.

Since then, I've seen too much.  I've watched political leaders join in with demonstrators and condone Biden celebrations (even while condemning Trump rallies).  I've seen the double standard, and I have concluded that the people calling for lockdowns only wish to control and punish their political enemies.  Their own behavior, their own double standards have led me to believe this.  So I'm sorry, but the Cuomos, Whitmers, Newsoms, Pritzkers, and Murphys, et al have squandered their credibility with me.  They've moved goalposts, they've secured buy in, then they've managed their states to where people are being unnecessarily ruined, financially.  Until you insinuate that BLM and Antifa have been responsible for a significant number of cases, you will have no credibility with me, either. 

When my family locked down, and my only being out of the house was to go to work as an essential worker, I trusted that all would be dealt with equally.  Silly me.  I didn't give up my freedom so that BLM and Antifa could exclusively enjoy it.  Law abiding taxpayers who have been compliant to the point of ruin should not be required to remain without sustenance.  And they have no reason whatsoever to place any trust in the credibility of those telling them how necessary it is that they comply.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »

Politics aside, thanks Fuzzy for your service to help others.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »

See below:

Well I did self-isolate for 14 days.

Okay, fair enough. I had read your post as saying you had worked through being diagnosed.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 10:27:07 PM »

I, by the way, have had COVID-19 (asymptomatic).  I am a 63 year old essential worker who's gone to work throughout this pandemic.  Lockdowns aren't killing me, economically.  They ARE hurting other people.  And it's worthwhile to note that those impacted most harshly by lockdowns are groups that have never been part of the current Democratic base.  Small business owners and churchgoers are two of the biggest groups of the Republican coalition these days.  The women who are most likely to have to quit working and stay home with kids out of school are working class women, a group moving away from the Democratic Party.  That's true.  It's also not likely to be coincidental.  People are not wrong to conclude that much COVID-19 policy has been to drive political objectives that have nothing to do with COVID-19.

Do you wear a mask in all indoor public places?  If not, you are contributing to spreading the virus.

The conspiratorial nonsense of your posts are hard to get through, but, it should also be pointed out that blacks and Latinos, still two heavily Democratic groups, have disproportionately died from the virus.  

I personally don't care if you respond or not.  You have made it clear that you frequently don't tell the truth in your posts.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 11:44:23 PM »

And this is reason #1 we should not have been so supportive of the riots this summer.
Yes, what happened to Mr Floyd was horrid, but the thousands who died from Covid each week made that one death pale in comparison. And now we are at a breaking point, where the brainwashed rightwing is now refusing to follow basic safety measures/spreading disinformation and skepticism at the worst point possible. To be honest, I almost don't blame them. Watching Atlas endorse these mass gatherings made my blood boil this summer, and I'm shocked people are still trying to justify it.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »

And this is reason #1 we should not have been so supportive of the riots this summer.
Yes, what happened to Mr Floyd was horrid, but the thousands who died from Covid each week made that one death pale in comparison. And now we are at a breaking point, where the brainwashed rightwing is now refusing to follow basic safety measures/spreading disinformation and skepticism at the worst point possible. To be honest, I almost don't blame them. Watching Atlas endorse these mass gatherings made my blood boil this summer, and I'm shocked people are still trying to justify it.

I was concerned with the protests this summer. I don't know what went on here, but CNN obviously had an official policy to endorse the protests and they even allowed irrational people to state on air that 'the number of blacks who die at the hands of the police is much greater than the number of blacks who will die from the Coronavirus.'  Even at that time, it would have taken 100 years of consistent deaths from the police to equal the number of blacks who had died from Covid.

However, it is also a fact that at the time of the protests, by about 1 week, every state had either re-opened, partially re-opened or was planning to re-open.  It was also hard to argue against the protests given that officially and from many people the general sentiment was 'The virus is over. Nothing more to worry about.'

This is something those on the right need to be informed about when they criticize those on the left for supporting the protests.  You can check this out yourself.  This first protest was on May 26 and the last state announced its plan to reopen on May 21 or 22.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies