What laws will the GOP let Biden pass?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:41:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What laws will the GOP let Biden pass?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What laws will the GOP let Biden pass?  (Read 1491 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »

I doubt McConnell will let Biden pass anything, but what things would a GOP led Senate allow him to pass? A $1.00 minimum wage increase? Some environmental green energy tax breaks?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »

Maybe a stimulus plan? Appointing Breyer's successor, maybe?

I really don't know.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

Nothing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »

If there is no action on a Stimulus in the Lame Duck session, there is gonna be action on one in 2021 due to budget resolution, Pelosi can tie any budget deal to Stimulus
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »

Hopefully
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »

I mean, I think Ossoff/Warnock are gonna pull it off, in which case, McConnell can go cry to his dead mommy because he won't control sh*t.

In this scenario, however, "what will Manchin/Sinema/Kelly let him pass?" would become a much more pertinent question.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:45:14 PM »

Nothing, maybe some centrist judges to replace liberal ones
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »

If there is no action on a Stimulus in the Lame Duck session, there is gonna be action on one in 2021 due to budget resolution, Pelosi can tie any budget deal to Stimulus

Pelosi can do NOTHING on her own. Even in the new year a new Stimulus would need to be approved by both Houses of Congress. Democrats would need to win both GA-Runoffs, then abolish the Legislative Filibuster (where Manchin said already he wouldn't do it) and hope if the Filibuster stays that Manchin and Sinema would vote for a 3 Trillon $$$ Spending Bill.

Neither of all those things will happen.
EastwoodS

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 10:16:25 PM »

I mean, I think Ossoff/Warnock are gonna pull it off, in which case, McConnell can go cry to his dead mommy because he won't control sh*t.

In this scenario, however, "what will Manchin/Sinema/Kelly let him pass?" would become a much more pertinent question.
Wow, look at you predicting stuff... 413 votes for the Democrats. Truly incredible 🙃
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »

Plenty of things, but not good things.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »

Wow, look at you predicting stuff... 413 votes for the Democrats. Truly incredible 🙃

Yeah, I made a prediction that was entirely reasonable given the data we had at the time. Might as well execute me for my sins immediately, because it was definitely my fault that some of the polls were off. And it's not like the GA pollster that actually turned out to be right in the general is literally showing a Warnock lead & Ossoff/Perdue tie as of right now or anything. Nope. Not at all.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 02:17:24 PM by #SaveTheSenate »

Yeah, I made a prediction that was entirely reasonable given the data we had at the time. Might as well execute me for my sins immediately, because it was definitely my fault that some of the polls were off.

Uh, the polling average literally had Biden trailing in Iowa, Ohio, and Texas. And you had Biden winning all 3 of them, even though Republicans tend to overperform their polls in Iowa and Ohio. I really, really doubt your prediction was "reasonable" since you made a similarly hackish/ridiculous prediction in 2018 as well.

And it's not like the GA pollster that actually turned out to be right in the general is literally showing a Warnock lead & Ossoff/Perdue tie as of right now or anything. Nope. Not at all.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same thing about Trafalgar which was accurate in several states in 2016/2018/2020.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »

Yeah, I made a prediction that was entirely reasonable given the data we had at the time. Might as well execute me for my sins immediately, because it was definitely my fault that some of the polls were off. And it's not like the GA pollster that actually turned out to be right in the general is literally showing a Warnock lead & Ossoff/Perdue tie as of right now or anything. Nope. Not at all.

even if the dems get both seats, manchin says he won't be voting to abolish filibuster.

only thing dems will MAYBE be able to pass is things through reconciliation, but sinema and manchin have both come out and said they oppose using reconcilation for anything except taxation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 04:24:58 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

even if the dems get both seats, manchin says he won't be voting to abolish filibuster.

only thing dems will MAYBE be able to pass is things through reconciliation, but sinema and manchin have both come out and said they oppose using reconcilation for anything except taxation.

Don't be so sure, the filibuster repeal doesn't have to apply to every piece of legislation, Manchin can vote for a limited filibuster repeal 2.2T stimulus or DC Statehood but can reject the filibuster repeal on other pieces of legislation, I expect him to reverse himself on a limited number. Manchin doesn't have to go by that, that was made on Twitter

You really think Manchin  won't reverse him, I have news for you, Politicians lie

Furthermore, Manchin and Sinema want their party in the majority, they don't want to see McConnell as Leader anymore

dC or PR Statehood will push Mcconnell I'm the minority for a long time
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »

Do you really think Sinema & Manchin will vote to raise 4Million $ Taxas in the midst of a Pandemic? I don't think so!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »

No but I think they will want to pass the 2.2T and Rs aren't giving an inch on Heroes Act
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »

I just think that no one can hold Manchin to a proclamation that he made on Twitter, it was right after the election and aside that he opposes weed and probably PR Statehood and full enactment of the Green New Deal, I think he supports DC statehood and 2.2T, a full Filibuster repeal no, but partial Filibuster repeals work
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 05:35:41 PM »

No but I think they will want to pass the 2.2T and Rs aren't giving an inch on Heroes Act
The Heroes Act could only pass if it's renegotiated. It needs to be trimmed down!
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »

I just think that no one can hold Manchin to a proclamation that he made on Twitter, it was right after the election and aside that he opposes weed and probably PR Statehood and full enactment of the Green New Deal, I think he supports DC statehood and 2.2T, a full Filibuster repeal no, but partial Filibuster repeals work
Why would he support DC statehood but not PR?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »

Maybe he does
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 10:31:13 PM »

Yeah, I made a prediction that was entirely reasonable given the data we had at the time. Might as well execute me for my sins immediately, because it was definitely my fault that some of the polls were off.

Uh, the polling average literally had Biden trailing in Iowa, Ohio, and Texas. And you had Biden winning all 3 of them, even though Republicans tend to overperform their polls in Iowa and Ohio. I really, really doubt your prediction was "reasonable" since you made a similarly hackish/ridiculous prediction in 2018 as well.

Final RCP IA polling average: Trump 47.2%, Biden 45.8% (Trump +1.4%)
Final RCP OH polling average: Trump 47.0%, Biden 46.8% (Trump +0.2%)
Final RCP TX polling average: Trump 47.7%, Biden 46.5% (Trump +1.2%)

If you seriously believe that it's somehow not even within any confine of reasonability to think that Biden could manage to end up winning these states given the (literally above-cited) data we had at the time, given what the presumed fundamentals at play in the race were going into Election Day, & (especially) given what the district-level polling was showing after having successfully alluded to the upset of 4 years ago, then there's definitely somebody being hackishly ridiculous here, but I'm afraid it's not me, my friend.

And it's not like the GA pollster that actually turned out to be right in the general is literally showing a Warnock lead & Ossoff/Perdue tie as of right now or anything. Nope. Not at all.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same thing about Trafalgar which was accurate in several states in 2016/2018/2020.

Not only did your eyes evidently skip over the "GA" in "the GA pollster," & not only did Trafalgar's last GA poll show Trump leading Biden by nearly 5 points (lmao), but this:

... is what the aBsOlUtE gOlD sTaNdArD that is TrafLOLgar had to say about the ultimate election outcome, so please do forgive me if I choose to hold InsiderAdvantage/FOX5 Atlanta in higher regard than the noted beacon of reliability that is the Trafalgar Group.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 04:27:27 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2020, 04:33:09 AM by Frenchrepublican »

LOL. You had Biden winning OH (which was absurd considering that Biden was slightly behind in polls, polls which by the way always overestimate democrats in OH by a lot), in IA (even after the Selzer poll), you had Bullock and Greenfield winning despite the fact it was clear by the end of October that both of them were underdogs and even more hackish you had Harrison flipping SC.

You're a one of the biggest dem hack of this forum.

Also, when you do predictions, don't just look at polls, especially the ones which fit the narrative you want to believe
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 04:33:28 AM »

Lol that Trafalgar had WI as the last of the big three to flip too.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 06:33:05 AM »

Final RCP IA polling average: Trump 47.2%, Biden 45.8% (Trump +1.4%)
Final RCP OH polling average: Trump 47.0%, Biden 46.8% (Trump +0.2%)
Final RCP TX polling average: Trump 47.7%, Biden 46.5% (Trump +1.2%)

If you seriously believe that it's somehow not even within any confine of reasonability to think that Biden could manage to end up winning these states given the (literally above-cited) data we had at the time, given what the presumed fundamentals at play in the race were going into Election Day, & (especially) given what the district-level polling was showing after having successfully alluded to the upset of 4 years ago, then there's definitely somebody being hackishly ridiculous here, but I'm afraid it's not me, my friend.

Polling errors in previous elections (especially in Iowa and Ohio) and 2018 results were much more relevant than any of the "presumed fundamentals" (you need to elaborate on what those fundamentals were). I also think you misinterpreted why district-level polling is useful. District polls are good at telling us about the shifts among certain demographic groups (i.e. college-educated whites in GA-06/IN-05, Cubans in FL-26/FL-27), but they are NOT always accurate and not necessarily more accurate than national/state polls.

Also, this doesn't mean you're a horrible poster in my eyes, and I'm not going to dismiss your future predictions on the basis that you're a 'hack', which seems like what Frenchrepublican is doing, but you have to come to terms with the fact that you ridiculously overestimated the Democrats in both 2018 and 2020 and your predictions weren't really 'reasonable'. You also weren't kind to people who disagreed with your 413 prediction i.e. Bagel.

Not only did your eyes evidently skip over the "GA" in "the GA pollster," & not only did Trafalgar's last GA poll show Trump leading Biden by nearly 5 points (lmao), but this:

... is what the aBsOlUtE gOlD sTaNdArD that is TrafLOLgar had to say about the ultimate election outcome, so please do forgive me if I choose to hold InsiderAdvantage/FOX5 Atlanta in higher regard than the noted beacon of reliability that is the Trafalgar Group.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used Trafalgar as an example, sorry (I don't think it's a good pollster either). Ossoff and Warnock winning is a reasonable prediction imo, but you shouldn't cherry pick polls that support your prediction, especially when the pollster which conducted said poll is new and might've gotten lucky.

Lol that Trafalgar had WI as the last of the big three to flip too.

...Nearly every pollster had WI about the same as or to the left of MI and PA.

Last but not least, LOL at 7sergi9, one of the biggest hacks on this forum, recommending my earlier post.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 08:17:24 AM »

It seems that the American people generally approve of Mitch McConnell and want the Senate to remain in Republican hands going forward. Recent polling shows that the American people want a 56-44 Republican Senate after the 2022 midterm elections, which means that Chris Sununu, Doug Ducey, Larry Hogan, Brian Sandoval, and Phil Scott at least win assuming that the Senate turns out to be 51-49 Republican after the Georgia special election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies