Will there ever be an Italian American president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will there ever be an Italian American president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will there ever be an Italian American president?  (Read 1697 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

« on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »

My guess is we will have an Italian american President before the end of the next fifty years. We will also probably have Cuban, Jewish, Mexican, and Indian presidents which would also all be firsts.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »

The surprise is that we have yet to have a Jewish-American President. I do not mean Jewish ancestry; I mean someone Jewish by culture or faith. The political talent is strong among Jewish-Americans.

Yeah I think this is even more surprising than the Italian-American thing. 6% of current House members are Jewish (11% among Democrats), and 10% of Senators are (18% among Democrats only, 20% if you count Sanders as a Democrat). Jewish Americans are vastly overrepresented in American politics and have been for some time, yet the closest they've ever gotten to the presidency was Goldwater and Sanders.

I'm sure anti-semitism plays a role in it, but America has also elected and re-elected a black man with a Muslim-sounding name. With that in mind, it's a bit odd that Jewish people still haven't gotten there.

Goldwater was ethnically half Jewish and was raised an Episcopalian though. I don’t think a practicing Jew could’ve won a primary at that time. Even today I would guess most Americans view Judaism as a foreign religion. I never knowingly met a Jewish person until I was in college and even then only one or two.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 04:11:05 PM »

The surprise is that we have yet to have a Jewish-American President. I do not mean Jewish ancestry; I mean someone Jewish by culture or faith. The political talent is strong among Jewish-Americans.

Yeah I think this is even more surprising than the Italian-American thing. 6% of current House members are Jewish (11% among Democrats), and 10% of Senators are (18% among Democrats only, 20% if you count Sanders as a Democrat). Jewish Americans are vastly overrepresented in American politics and have been for some time, yet the closest they've ever gotten to the presidency was Goldwater and Sanders.

I'm sure anti-semitism plays a role in it, but America has also elected and re-elected a black man with a Muslim-sounding name. With that in mind, it's a bit odd that Jewish people still haven't gotten there.

Goldwater was ethnically half Jewish and was raised an Episcopalian though. I don’t think a practicing Jew could’ve won a primary at that time. Even today I would guess most Americans view Judaism as a foreign religion. I never knowingly met a Jewish person until I was in college and even then only one or two.

Well I’m Jewish myself.

Thankfully I think America is definitely ready for a Jewish president now if you plan on running.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies