Will there ever be an Italian American president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:50:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will there ever be an Italian American president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will there ever be an Italian American president?  (Read 1655 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »

Donald Trump is seen as the "first" Italian American president, because of the cultural mannerisms he gets with being close to Italian culture and the support he has had in the Northeast.

Andrew Cuomo, Ron DeSantis, etc., could they become president?

Are they too provincial?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »

Cuomo and DeSamtis are probably the most likely in the near future, but I don’t think either is likely to become president. DeSantis is massively overrated and Cuomo isn’t gonna be nominated in 2024; it will be either Biden or Harris.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Donald Trump is close to Italian culture? The most "Italian" thing Trump has is being particularly corrupt.

By the way, Cuomo and DeSantis suck really bad. But I think most people who are likely to become head of government in Italy in the near future suck too, so it's par for the course.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »

Donald Trump is close to Italian culture? The most "Italian" thing Trump has is being particularly corrupt.

By the way, Cuomo and DeSantis suck really bad. But I think most people who are likely to become head of government in Italy in the near future suck too, so it's par for the course.

Ferraro, Mario Cuomo, Giuliani, Christie all tried to run for president or vice president in 1984, 1988, 1992, 2008, 2012 and 2016 and didn't go far.....

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »

Ferraro, Mario Cuomo, Giuliani, Christie all tried to run for president or vice president in 1984, 1988, 1992, 2008, 2012 and 2016 and didn't go far.....

Mario Cuomo never actually ran for President though? He would have been good.
Giuliani and Christie, on the other hand...
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »

I don’t think 99% of the American population really cares about what kind of “white” a politician is, so Italian Americans have as much chance of getting a president as any other group of similar size. You are asking if there will “ever” be an Italian president, so the answer is probably yes given how long of a time span that is; eventually there will likely be a person of Italian descent elected president.

DeSantis is certainly the most likely candidate nowadays.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 07:54:41 PM »

Isn't Buttigieg Maltese? That would at least be a start.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »

He's arguably the first Italian-American President in much the same way that Bill Clinton was our first Black President Tongue

(In which case, be on the lookout for the election of our actual first Italian-American President in 2028 or 2032.)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 01:26:04 AM »

I believe Jill Biden will be the first italian american occupant in the WH ever. However for president, it might be Cuomo, DeSantis or DeBlasio(though he would make himself popular)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 04:27:52 AM »

Isn't Buttigieg Maltese? That would at least be a start.

He is. Apparently his father was a noted scholar of Antonio Gramsci, so I see some interest in Italian culture.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »

Trump is actually Berlusconi in a wig
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »

That's a comparison I have actually made many times talking with other people here in Italy.

Billionaire with no actual political experience before becoming head of government? Check
Media tycoon, made money through the real estate business - with shady affairs involved? Check
Notorious womanizer? Check
Gaffeur but "tells it like it is"? Check
Involved in a slew of lawsuits and/or criminal investigations? Check
Inspires deep hatred among opponents and loyalty (some would say "cult of personality") among supporters? Check
Said loyalty has been given a name and gotten treated as if it was an ideology (berlusconismo; Trumpism)? Check
Strongman tendencies? Check
Troubled relationship with the press, in his political career has constantly accused the mainstream media / public television of being partisan against him? Check
A big selling point was "draining the swamp" / "going beyond old politics" / outsider image? Check

Not saying that there aren't obvious differences too (for one, Trump didn't found a new party, and the historical circumstances when he came down the elevator were very different than those when Berlusconi "entered the field") but the comparison works well.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »

My guess is we will have an Italian american President before the end of the next fifty years. We will also probably have Cuban, Jewish, Mexican, and Indian presidents which would also all be firsts.
Red Wall

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »

DeSantis is the best pick.

As for Trump I wouldn't say he was exactly close to italian culture but only, as you said, a good fit for italians because of his personality.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 02:45:55 AM »

Give it enough time and there will be.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 09:40:48 AM »

The surprise is that we have yet to have a Jewish-American President. I do not mean Jewish ancestry; I mean someone Jewish by culture or faith. The political talent is strong among Jewish-Americans.

THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2021, 03:07:21 PM by The Tar Heel Gentleman »

DeSantis is currently the most likely to be favored for that role- but even then, it’s a relative longshot because the looming possibilities of Trump running again.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 01:23:16 PM »

Cuomo is definitely not becoming President with all his baggage. 

DeSantis has the best odds in the near term but like others have mentioned it's unlikely.  The covid surge in Florida is going to destroy his national chances.  He might win a Republican primary but he's too toxic for the overall electorate.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »

The surprise is that we have yet to have a Jewish-American President. I do not mean Jewish ancestry; I mean someone Jewish by culture or faith. The political talent is strong among Jewish-Americans.

Yeah I think this is even more surprising than the Italian-American thing. 6% of current House members are Jewish (11% among Democrats), and 10% of Senators are (18% among Democrats only, 20% if you count Sanders as a Democrat). Jewish Americans are vastly overrepresented in American politics and have been for some time, yet the closest they've ever gotten to the presidency was Goldwater and Sanders.

I'm sure anti-semitism plays a role in it, but America has also elected and re-elected a black man with a Muslim-sounding name. With that in mind, it's a bit odd that Jewish people still haven't gotten there.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »

Cuomo is definitely not becoming President with all his baggage. 

DeSantis has the best odds in the near term but like others have mentioned it's unlikely.  The covid surge in Florida is going to destroy his national chances.  He might win a Republican primary but he's too toxic for the overall electorate.

No it won't. The Florida COVID surge will not hurt him any more than last summer's COVID surge in the state.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »

Yeah I think this is even more surprising than the Italian-American thing. 6% of current House members are Jewish (11% among Democrats), and 10% of Senators are (18% among Democrats only, 20% if you count Sanders as a Democrat). Jewish Americans are vastly overrepresented in American politics and have been for some time, yet the closest they've ever gotten to the presidency was Goldwater and Sanders.

I'm sure anti-semitism plays a role in it, but America has also elected and re-elected a black man with a Muslim-sounding name. With that in mind, it's a bit odd that Jewish people still haven't gotten there.

Goldwater was ethnically half Jewish and was raised an Episcopalian though. I don’t think a practicing Jew could’ve won a primary at that time. Even today I would guess most Americans view Judaism as a foreign religion. I never knowingly met a Jewish person until I was in college and even then only one or two.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »

Goldwater was ethnically half Jewish and was raised an Episcopalian though. I don’t think a practicing Jew could’ve won a primary at that time. Even today I would guess most Americans view Judaism as a foreign religion. I never knowingly met a Jewish person until I was in college and even then only one or two.

Well I’m Jewish myself.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 04:11:05 PM »

Well I’m Jewish myself.

Thankfully I think America is definitely ready for a Jewish president now if you plan on running.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 04:23:42 PM »

Well I’m Jewish myself.

Thankfully I think America is definitely ready for a Jewish president now if you plan on running.

That's not going to happen, because

1. I'm too young.
2. I was born in Israel, although I believe my mom was an American citizen at the time of my birth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies