POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:47:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which would win in 2022 in the Georgia governor race?
Brian Kemp
Stacey Abrams
Generic Republican that defeats Kemp in the primary
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch  (Read 2405 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »

The new SurveyUSA poll has Kemp approval 43/46.

Statewide or with the runoff electorate?

Statewide, among registered voters.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

Here's a fun take, if Raffensperger wins his primary he's safe even if all other statewide seats somehow flip to Democrats. Holcomb-level crossover support. He'll end up being Georgia's Jim Hood. I mean, his ads write themselves. "The Republican who stood up for democracy while all the others worshiped the ground Trump walked on."

The problem with this argument is that (a) there’s not really a substantial pool of ‘moderate’ (i.e., Democratic-leaning but open to supporting the right kind of Republican) persuadable voters in GA, especially in the Democratic coalition, which is arguably the most rock-ribbed one of any state in the country; (b) the kind of Republican who would be acceptable to Democrats in the Atlanta metro is not making it out of the R primary in a state where at least 43% of the GE and probably north of 80% of the Republican primary electorate is still solidly conservative (advertising himself as anti-Trump would be a surefire way to end his career before he even makes it to the GE); (c) a Holcomb-type overperformance isn’t really feasible in a state where rurals/exurbs already vote mostly >70% R and the kind of places you’re counting on to deliver an overperformance are zooming leftward, becoming more and more non-white, and turning increasingly liberal/Democratic rather than moderate. There’s just no path for a Holcomb-or Hood-type GOP overperformance in a state like GA. Isakson was probably as close to that as you could realistically get in a state like GA, but even he was still fairly conservative and only received 55% in a race where Democrats didn’t even try as a two-term incumbent with a lot of goodwill.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »

So I'm making a bold prediction here about Stacey's margin of victory.

Considering how unpopular Brian Kemp seems to be with not only democrats but now many republicans including Donald Trump himself, I'm gonna say that a Kemp vs Abrams matchup would be tilt to lean D.

Not only do I think Stacey would win by around 2-3, but I also predict she'll win with a slight majority, maybe like 50-47. A win like this could also spell trouble for republicans in the 2022 Georgia senate races, so we'll have to watch out for those.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies