POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which would win in 2022 in the Georgia governor race?
Brian Kemp
Stacey Abrams
Generic Republican that defeats Kemp in the primary
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: POLL: Georgia Gubernatorial Rematch  (Read 2385 times)
MargieCat
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
« edited: November 18, 2020, 08:21:09 PM by MargieCat »

It seems like common knowledge that Abrams wants a rematch with Kemp.

Now that Trumpworld is angry at Kemp and Raffensperger, it seems like Kemp might not even be the nominee.

If he is the nominee, turnout might not be good enough to push him over the finish line.

Someone like Doug Collins could primary Kemp, as there seems to be bad blood between the two since Kemp appointed Loeffler to the Isakson seat that Collins felt entitled to. Especially if Loeffler makes it through the runoff.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »

Abrams will be very slighted favored. Kemp needs to hope for a red wave and eventual passing of the Trump '20 bitterness.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »

Biden flipped it, and Abrams is still very popular both in the state and nationwide (contrary to popular belief). She's gonna win the state by a slightly bigger margin than Biden in my opinion.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »

Kemp should be able to survive his primary and Trumpian backlash by redirecting most of the heat onto Raffensperger.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 08:33:48 PM »

Biden flipped it, and Abrams is still very popular both in the state and nationwide (contrary to popular belief). She's gonna win the state by a slightly bigger margin than Biden in my opinion.

That's kind of what I figured. She seems more "famous" than Brian Kemp at this point, for lack of a better term.

Most on this board will say 2022 is a red wave and that Kemp will sail to re-election. But not if his opponent is Abrams, IMO.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 08:36:32 PM »

That's kind of what I figured. She seems more "famous" than Brian Kemp at this point, for lack of a better term.

Most on this board will say 2022 is a red wave and that Kemp will sail to re-election. But not if his opponent is Abrams, IMO.

Abrams would easily beat him in terms of fundraising, both from Georgia and nationwide.

In fact I predict she'll get more money in donations than any other gubernatorial candidate in American history, and quote me on that because I guarantee it's gonna happen.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 12:59:55 AM by NewYorkExpress »

Kemp will still be favored, as it's a Biden midterm.

However, unlike running against Greg Abbott in Texas, there is a clear path to victory for Abrams if she runs in 2022, and Biden just showed how to do it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »

Stacy Abrams
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »

I can say for sure that people in ATL absolutely despise Kemp, even a lot of annoying people who might consider Perdue, since Kemp is more directly associated with orange man. Now that the cultists are turning on the GAGOP I'd be very worried if I were Kemp.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »

This is wave insurance, we must be aware of this it's Tilt R/Tossup in a Biden midterm, it's no slam dunk for Ds
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 12:18:06 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 12:53:57 AM by lfromnj »

I think Abrams is in a pure tossup for her reelection race, will have to wait.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 12:54:57 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 10:18:45 PM by Bootes Void »

I think Kemp narrowly holds on but if Raffensperger gets primaries, I can see Dems pick the SOS seat
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 05:10:40 AM »

Considering that GA democrats have slowly improved their standing in every gubernatorial races since their low point of 2006 and when taking into account the fact that GA is largely immune to national waves it’s fair to say that Abrams would have probably a very solid chance of winning the race.

I would probably rate it as Tossup
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »

Considering that GA democrats have slowly improved their standing in every gubernatorial races since their low point of 2006 and when taking into account the fact that GA is largely immune to national waves it’s fair to say that Abrams would have probably a very solid chance of winning the race.

I agree, I would start GA-GOV as a tossup.

People who say "Kemp will be fine because it'll be a bIdEn MiDTerM" don't understand that Georgia doesn't really swing that way in state-level races; applying Iowa/Pennsylvania/Wisconsin style political dynamics to this state doesn't work all that well.

Sonny Perdue was a two-term governor, and his opponent in 2006 was the sitting lieutenant governor, not exactly a horrible candidate. Deal did worse in 2014 than he did in 2010. As frenchrepublican says, things were already improving for Democrats in this state before Trump came along. I have always maintained that Dems would be winning statewide races by 2022; the exact offices, I don't know, but they would be winning.

2020 was a bit early in my view for this to happen, but the idea that GA could become a state that regularly votes Dem (even in decent years for the GOP) while Florida and NC vote Republican more often that not is not far-fetched. Even pre-Trump, most trends in GA favored Democrats, and the counterbalances you see in FL and NC, such as a more Republican-leaning Hispanic voting block (FL,) stagnant or R-trending suburbs (NC,) or a rapidly growing retiree population (both,) don't exist in GA. The only counterbalance is the Dem collapse in rural Georgia, but that's been the case for a while now and they seem to be at rock bottom (look at the number of Georgia counties where Kemp and Trump got more than 80-85% of the vote).

There's a reason why the state GA is most compared to is VA, not NC.

Next, there's the General Assembly. The coming maps will ensure that GOP majorities (not veto-proof supermajorities; that ship sailed in 2015) stay in place through the decade, so there isn't the risk of a Dem governor "ruining the state" because they'll still have to strike balance with a Republican-majority state legislature. Something like that may sound more appealing to independents than the idea of a completely Dem or GOP state government. Both sides will have leverage, but neither will be able to completely overrule the other. FWIW, Stacey Abrams actually worked well with Republicans as minority leader in the state House.

Finally, there's Kemp's own approval ratings. They seem to be bouncing all over the place, but it's clear that he's doing far worse on approval than Nathan Deal was; on a good day, he'll have an approval rating in the low-50s. It's the fact that with Deal and (Sonny) Perdue, Republicans universally approved, independents strongly approved, and Dems were ambivalent, but with Kemp, Republicans mostly approve, independents tepidly approve (although that depends on the poll,) and Dems strongly disapprove. Kemp doesn't have the same bedrock support Deal and Perdue had.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »

Pure toss-up. My guess is Kemp by under half a point.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »

It would be Lean Kemp, probably Kemp +3-5.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

I'd give a slight edge to Abrams at this point. GA doesn't really flow with nationwide trends and it's slowly but surely moving left with each election. Kemp was always skating on thin ice but he's been a mediocre governor and the GA-GOP is turning on each other. At this point, Abrams can really hammer him on Medicaid expansion. If he were smart (which he isn't) he'd just go ahead and take the expansion because it's cheaper than his waivers and he'd be taking the big leverage she has off the table.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »

I agree, I would start GA-GOV as a tossup.

People who say "Kemp will be fine because it'll be a bIdEn MiDTerM" don't understand that Georgia doesn't really swing that way in state-level races; applying Iowa/Pennsylvania/Wisconsin style political dynamics to this state doesn't work all that well.

Sonny Perdue was a two-term governor, and his opponent in 2006 was the sitting lieutenant governor, not exactly a horrible candidate. Deal did worse in 2014 than he did in 2010. As frenchrepublican says, things were already improving for Democrats in this state before Trump came along. I have always maintained that Dems would be winning statewide races by 2022; the exact offices, I don't know, but they would be winning.

2020 was a bit early in my view for this to happen, but the idea that GA could become a state that regularly votes Dem (even in decent years for the GOP) while Florida and NC vote Republican more often that not is not far-fetched. Even pre-Trump, most trends in GA favored Democrats, and the counterbalances you see in FL and NC, such as a more Republican-leaning Hispanic voting block (FL,) stagnant or R-trending suburbs (NC,) or a rapidly growing retiree population (both,) don't exist in GA. The only counterbalance is the Dem collapse in rural Georgia, but that's been the case for a while now and they seem to be at rock bottom (look at the number of Georgia counties where Kemp and Trump got more than 80-85% of the vote).

There's a reason why the state GA is most compared to is VA, not NC.

Next, there's the General Assembly. The coming maps will ensure that GOP majorities (not veto-proof supermajorities; that ship sailed in 2015) stay in place through the decade, so there isn't the risk of a Dem governor "ruining the state" because they'll still have to strike balance with a Republican-majority state legislature. Something like that may sound more appealing to independents than the idea of a completely Dem or GOP state government. Both sides will have leverage, but neither will be able to completely overrule the other. FWIW, Stacey Abrams actually worked well with Republicans as minority leader in the state House.

Finally, there's Kemp's own approval ratings. They seem to be bouncing all over the place, but it's clear that he's doing far worse on approval than Nathan Deal was; on a good day, he'll have an approval rating in the low-50s. It's the fact that with Deal and (Sonny) Perdue, Republicans universally approved, independents strongly approved, and Dems were ambivalent, but with Kemp, Republicans mostly approve, independents tepidly approve (although that depends on the poll,) and Dems strongly disapprove. Kemp doesn't have the same bedrock support Deal and Perdue had.

Good sum-up.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 09:43:11 PM »

Abrams is going to smash fundraising records and unlike Harrison and McGrath, that money will be put to good use in a state that has a viable Democratic majority.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »

Abrams wins 51%-48%

GA Dems pick up the Governorship, Lt. Governorship, Secy. of State, and Commissioner of Agriculture, despite it being a Biden midterm, if they hold their cards right

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 06:23:38 PM »

Lean Kemp.

Kicking out Trump did no favors for D turnout, who at least was a good scapegoat...and Biden doesn't strike me as someone who'll rally like crazy for anyone and get that cultish following so needed to resist the inevitable.

GA might trend D as the rest of the nation goes even further right...but gravy, an actual flip in a D midterm...sorry but Kemp is still no Corbett or McCrory.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »

Here's a fun take, if Raffensperger wins his primary he's safe even if all other statewide seats somehow flip to Democrats. Holcomb-level crossover support. He'll end up being Georgia's Jim Hood. I mean, his ads write themselves. "The Republican who stood up for democracy while all the others worshiped the ground Trump walked on."
Red Wall

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »

Kemp by 4. Bigger win than in 2018 but smaller shift compared to the national environment.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2020, 10:45:21 AM by #SaveTheSenate »

The new SurveyUSA poll has Kemp approval 43/46.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »

The new SurveyUSA poll has Kemp approval 43/46.

Statewide or with the runoff electorate?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies