Columbia County, New York (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Columbia County, New York (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Columbia County, New York  (Read 1856 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 24, 2020, 03:04:45 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM by Trends are MORE than real »

Doesn't Rockland County have a large Orthodox Jewish community?  I am thinking Trump's stance on Israel be it moving embassy to Jerusalem and deals with a number of Arab countries to recognize Israel would help him there.  But looking at precinct data in 2016 he might also already be maxed out in this community.

I think it's mostly because they hate the anti-coronavirus restrictions. Although you are right that they were already a solidly Republican group, so I'm not sure how much room Trump has to grow.

Trump actually underperformed badly with Orthodox Jews in 2016 compared to McCain and Romney (although he still won them, as he'd say, BY A LOT!!!), so even if his performance with them this time had just been a reversion to the mean it still would have produced a fairly significant swing.

As for the subject of this thread, a lot of the easternmost parts of Upstate New York are culturally extensions of Western Massachusetts in the same way that Western Massachusetts is culturally an extension of Vermont. (The first Columbia County-based historical figure who comes to mind, for instance, is Edna St. Vincent Millay.) In good Democratic years, they vote like it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »

Doesn't Rockland County have a large Orthodox Jewish community?  I am thinking Trump's stance on Israel be it moving embassy to Jerusalem and deals with a number of Arab countries to recognize Israel would help him there.  But looking at precinct data in 2016 he might also already be maxed out in this community.

I think it's mostly because they hate the anti-coronavirus restrictions. Although you are right that they were already a solidly Republican group, so I'm not sure how much room Trump has to grow.

As for the subject of this thread, a lot of the easternmost parts of Upstate New York are culturally extensions of Western Massachusetts in the same way that Western Massachusetts is culturally an extension of Vermont. (The first Columbia County-based historical figure who comes to mind, for instance, is Edna St. Vincent Millay.) In good Democratic years, they vote like it.

Do you know why the Western Massachusetts's liberal culture doesn't really seem to affect Hampden County where rural areas vote more 'normally' (i.e. Republican)? Obviously Hampden is a safe Democratic area but that's because of the cities such as Springfield and Holyoke. I've never really understood why Democratic strength with rural/small town voters suddenly disappears at the county boundary.

I couldn't tell you the exact historical or sociological causality even though I've lived here for most of my life, but it's a widely-noted phenomenon with its own name. (The Wikipedia article suggests potential causes, but I don't buy any of them; for example, both sides of the Tofu Curtain are economically dominated these days by higher education and "research", but only to the north of the Holyoke Range does that fact dictate the area's political leanings.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies