Atlasia-New Zealand Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:27:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasia-New Zealand Free Trade Bill  (Read 2408 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and New Zealand.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:33:08 PM »

New Zealand! That was the other I forgot on my free trade list.  I support this.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »

As always, I find free trade to be risky business for Atlasian workers. My feelings on this bill areno different than any other free trade bill.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:28 PM »

I concur. These Free trade bills are all well and good, but they do nothing to protect the Atlasian worker.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »

I just started looking at these trade bills and I have a very serious concern.

How does the Atlasian Senate get to declare that New Zealand cannot put tariffs on our goods?  This Senate has no power to set the tariff level in New Zealand, yet the text of this bill reads, "No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and New Zealand."  This bill abolishes New Zeland's tariffs, yet this body clearly has no power to do that.

In fact all of these bills seem to presume that the Senate can abolish the tariffs of foreign nations!

Is there some explaination for this?

The typical procedure in the real world for establishing free trade with another nation is for the President to sign a treaty, and for the Senate to ratify said treaty.  This is a far cry from that.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 12:27:41 AM »

How does the Atlasian Senate get to declare that New Zealand cannot put tariffs on our goods?  This Senate has no power to set the tariff level in New Zealand, yet the text of this bill reads, "No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and New Zealand."  This bill abolishes New Zeland's tariffs, yet this body clearly has no power to do that.

In fact all of these bills seem to presume that the Senate can abolish the tariffs of foreign nations!

The typical procedure in the real world for establishing free trade with another nation is for the President to sign a treaty, and for the Senate to ratify said treaty.  This is a far cry from that.

I have asked this question before.  Apparently we are supposed to assume this only abolishes our tariffs on NZ, NZ doesn't have to do anything.  Yes the wording is faulty, but they like them and they like to send Atlasian jobs to other countries.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 01:19:52 AM »

I have asked this question before.  Apparently we are supposed to assume this only abolishes our tariffs on NZ, NZ doesn't have to do anything.  Yes the wording is faulty, but they like them and they like to send Atlasian jobs to other countries.

So this bill claims to abolish Ne Zealand's tariffs on US goods, then fails to actually abolish said tariffs, leaving New Zealand with free access to US markets without guaranteeing reciprocal access for US businesses to New Zealand's markets?

Even as a dedicated free trader, I must admit that makes very little economic sense to me.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:08:52 AM »

As always, I find free trade to be risky business for Atlasian workers. My feelings on this bill areno different than any other free trade bill.

Of course, the one thing I particularly like about free trade with such nations as New Zealand is that, at least, her living standards compare favorably with our own

While I, broadly, favor free trade there are times when protectionist measures might be necessary to safeguard the interests of Atlasian workers; however, that said there would need to be a balance between these interests and consumer interests so that neither are seriously undermined

I support this Bill as it stands Smiley

'Hawk'
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »

So this bill claims to abolish Ne Zealand's tariffs on US goods, then fails to actually abolish said tariffs, leaving New Zealand with free access to US markets without guaranteeing reciprocal access for US businesses to New Zealand's markets?

Even as a dedicated free trader, I must admit that makes very little economic sense to me.

Finally someone who agrees with me!  Yes and we have had many, many of these that have been passed and signed so good luck Atlasian economy!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »

The bill does not abolish anything in other countries--it only abolishes our own tariffs. It is, in effect, a unilateral declaration of free trade.

The bill is, I think, very wise--free trade is beneficial to the importer as well as the exporter. Just because other countries wish to harm their own consumers, it does not follow that we must copy them.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 01:04:52 AM »

The bill does not abolish anything in other countries--it only abolishes our own tariffs. It is, in effect, a unilateral declaration of free trade.

The bill is, I think, very wise--free trade is beneficial to the importer as well as the exporter. Just because other countries wish to harm their own consumers, it does not follow that we must copy them.

The text of the bill refers to "(tariffs) between the Republic of Atlasia and New Zealand", not simply our tariffs on their goods.  It refers to tariffs on both ends of the equation.  I'd love to see these tariffs reduced or eliminated, by the way, but the Senate has no power to do what this bill's text does.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 09:24:45 AM »

Of course, the one thing I particularly like about free trade with such nations as New Zealand is that, at least, her living standards compare favorably with our own

While I, broadly, favor free trade there are times when protectionist measures might be necessary to safeguard the interests of Atlasian workers; however, that said there would need to be a balance between these interests and consumer interests so that neither are seriously undermined

Agreed, and since the living standards of New Zealand are nearly on par with those of Atlasia, Atlasia's workers need not worry about their jobs going to a country with cheaper labor laws.  If I recall correctly, New Zealand's labor laws with regards to labor unions might actually be more stringent than those of our country, so the transfer of Atlasian jobs would not become a major issue.

I join Hawk in support of this bill.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »

Agreed, and since the living standards of New Zealand are nearly on par with those of Atlasia, Atlasia's workers need not worry about their jobs going to a country with cheaper labor laws.  If I recall correctly, New Zealand's labor laws with regards to labor unions might actually be more stringent than those of our country, so the transfer of Atlasian jobs would not become a major issue.

I join Hawk in support of this bill.

Thanks Senator Smiley. Basically, I have no problem with Atlasia entering into unilateral free trade agreements with nations like New Zealand who do indeed have favorable living standards compared with Atlasia

In the early days, as the momentum for free trade grew (and, indeed, it soon came to dominate the Senate agenda), I had considered stringent economic criteria to be required conditions for all nations to meet to be even considered for free trade agreements with Atlasia. However, given that I am pro-free trade, this would have restricted free trade agreements to more or less Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Western Europe and other advanced capitalist economies. In effect, most of Central America, South America, Africa, the Middle East and most of Asia wouldn't have had a look in. In other words, it would kind of defeated the object

Therefore, I decided to introduce, which for simplicity's sake, what I shall refer to as the "democracy" amendment to all nations, with whom we were/are considering unilateral free trade agreements, who fell short of the liberal democratic ideal, in that they have dubious, at best, and appalling, at worst, human rights records. Economics and politics are not mutually exclusive; therefore, if we are to promote, and encourage, economic liberalisation through our free trade policy, it must surely follow that we promote, and encourage, political liberalisation. Furthermore, it is my core conviction that Atlasian trade, and wider foreign, policy should be grounded in humanitarian values

I see free trade as a means of levelling other countries up to our standards not reducing ours to theirs and I hope that the political liberalisation that we seek to encourage will, ultimately, see a surge in labor union recognition and activity in such nations as means by which their living standards can be raised

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 06:51:41 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and New Zealand.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 06:52:11 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 08:50:33 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:57 AM »

Aye
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 11:33:47 AM »

Aye
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 12:08:27 PM »

Nay
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »

Aye.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »

Nay
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 01:04:02 AM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 06:54:23 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 08:00:01 AM »

With 6 Ayes, 2 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signiture.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »

Ebowed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies