Opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:48:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of the Star Wars Holiday Special  (Read 236 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »

What do you think of the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Disney should make DVDs of it and sell them in stores. Seriously.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »

No
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »

I genuinely like that Jefferson Starship song from it. I'll admit to actually listening to it every now and again. It also blows my mind that for awhile, when this special was canon, that meant that Jefferson Starship was canon to the 'Star Wars' universe. That's just crazy!

But otherwise it's actually really boring and irritating to sit through. I did it once, and even though there was the occasional laugh, I will never do it again. It is a fascinating little piece of nostalgia though, and you know it's bad since George Lucas is ashamed of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

I genuinely like that Jefferson Starship song from it. I'll admit to actually listening to it every now and again. It also blows my mind that for awhile, when this special was canon, that meant that Jefferson Starship was canon to the 'Star Wars' universe. That's just crazy!

But otherwise it's actually really boring and irritating to sit through. I did it once, and even though there was the occasional laugh, I will never do it again. It is a fascinating little piece of nostalgia though, and you know it's bad since George Lucas is ashamed of it.

Then why is George proud of Jar Jar?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »

That's my point. Lucas is fine with Jar Jar Binks and so many other horrible decisions of his with the franchise yet laments the holiday special. That's a good way to gauge how bad it is.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 09:20:40 PM »

I've tried watching it 3 times in my life and never made it all the way through.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »

nope
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 10:10:26 PM »

That's my point. Lucas is fine with Jar Jar Binks and so many other horrible decisions of his with the franchise yet laments the holiday special. That's a good way to gauge how bad it is.

Not in the least.  The Holiday Special was merely silly, Jar Jar was atrocious.  George's insistence on not only refusing to acknowledge his mistake but double down on it in Attack of the Clones just goes to show his lack of judgment concerning the Gungan. I'll grant that the core idea of establishing a comedic character in Episode I that would nominate giving Palpatine emergency powers in Episode II was a sound one, but as the Holiday Special showed two decades earlier, despite Lucas' skill at drama, he has almost none at comedy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »

I love "bad" movies, but some of them are just unwatchable.  This is in that category.  I want to watch it, to sit around with others and make fun, but things have to actually happen for it to be made fun of.  Hey look, Maude is singing, and that's funny, but once you've gotten all the Golden Girls jokes out of the way you have to sit through her singing for another 5 minutes.  Every bit is like that, just drags on and on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies