Opinion of Canada's gun control laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:41:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Canada's gun control laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom laws
Horrible laws (too loose)
Horrible laws (too strict)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of Canada's gun control laws  (Read 488 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »

In light of some of the recent gun control threads, I thought it would be interesting to go over Canadian gun control laws. Canada is in an interesting spot on guns. Compared to the USA we appear very strict, but we also have relatively loose laws compared to most of the West, have the highest rate of gun ownership of any Western nation besides the USA and the most per capita hunters.

Canadian firearms are divided into four classes, each with different licensing and purchasing rules:

Non-restricted
Applies to most long guns; single shot weapons, manual repeaters (e.g. pump action shotgun, bolt action rifles) and some semi-automatic rifles (e.g. SKS).

In order to purchase a non-restricted firearm, you need to get a non-restricted license, which requires getting a criminal background check, taking a six hour course (three hours on gun history, laws, and safety, and three handling decomissioned firearms). Once you have the license, there are no registration requirements. Non-restricted firearms can be bought at any sporting goods store and some general retailers. Purchasing is similar to getting carded at the liquor store. You have to show your license to buy but no personal details are taken down. Storage and carry laws are pretty loose for non-restricted weapons.

Restricted
Applies to most handguns, and some semi-automatic weapons

In order to purchase a handgun, you need a restricted license, which requires a criminal background check and second safety course. In addition, you must demonstrate one or more of the following reasons to own a restricted weapon:

1) Membership in a sport shooting club (this is what most people do)
2) Intent to collect historical artifacts (e.g. WW2 pistols)
3) Professional use (e.g. Bank security guard. Military and police are covered under their own set of laws)

Once you have the license, purchasing is more complicated. Once you reach agreement, the vendor puts in a request to the RCMP, which runs a check through their system for arrests since you got your license and approves it within 24 hours. Transportation and carry rules for restricted weapons are very strict. Open and concealed carry are illegal except for professional use, and it is illegal to transport your weapon outside of reasons related to your initial reason for purchase (e.g.  You can drive to the shooting range but not to the grocery store with a restricted weapon). Additionally restricted weapons must be stored in a locked display case, cabinet etc. Because of these rules, most who purchase firearms for self-defense, opt for non-restricted shotguns.

Prohibited
Applies to fully automatic firearms and some large calibre handguns.

Prohibited firearms illegal to purchase with some minor exceptions (e.g. museums). Grandfathered owners of prohibited weapons are allowed possess them to bequeath them to their heirs (so there are still a fair number of AK-47's and the like out there. For owners of prohibited firearms, the transportation, storage, and carry laws are the same as for restricted firearms.

Antique
Applies to any firearm manufactured before 1898, and all black powder firearms (e.g. musket)

Essentially no regulation. There are no licensing or regulation requirements, and you can technically open or concealed carry. The only real rule is that if you are intending on open or concealed carry, you must get a letter from the RCMP that says "The RCMP has determined that this gun does not meet the definiton of a modern firearm under Canadian law" and keep it with you while carrying.

So, what are your thoughts on Canada's gun control regime. Too strict? Too loose? Just right?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »

Overall Freedom laws, a little too loose for me personally, but I guess they make sense in the Canadian cultural context. They tick the main two boxes for me, which are that “self-defense” is not a valid reason to own a handgun, and that automatic weapons are banned.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:51:51 PM »

They sound pretty solid.
Is changing gun control laws (in either direction) part of the Discourse in Canada, like it is in the United States?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »

Overall a bit too strict. The background checks and safety courses are good, but I don't think someone should need a "valid" reason to own a handgun.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 05:47:24 AM »

They sound pretty solid.
Is changing gun control laws (in either direction) part of the Discourse in Canada, like it is in the United States?

Not nearly to the same extent as America, but yes. One major reason it isn't as big of an issue is that the major parties' coalitions don't line up neatly with the gun control divide. The Tories need to win in suburban Toronto, and Liberals and NDP have bases in Atlantic Canada and the far north respectively, where gun ownership and hunting are popular.

The most recent legislative fight was the Tories plus a smattering of NDP MP's removing the requirement to register non-restricted weapons with the police in 2012.

Overall Freedom laws, a little too loose for me personally, but I guess they make sense in the Canadian cultural context. They tick the main two boxes for me, which are that “self-defense” is not a valid reason to own a handgun, and that automatic weapons are banned.

Upon further review, I had our "self defence" law wrong. In Canada self defense against animals in remote areas is considered a legitimate reason to own a handgun, but self defense against humans is not, which I think you'll agree is the most stereotypically Canadian thing ever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies