fewer Americans are getting married, but are divorcing less and staying together longer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:15:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  fewer Americans are getting married, but are divorcing less and staying together longer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: fewer Americans are getting married, but are divorcing less and staying together longer  (Read 1802 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »

The U.S. Divorce Rate Has Hit a 50-Year Low

Divorce in America has been falling fast in recent years, and it just hit a record low in 2019. For every 1,000 marriages in the last year, only 14.9 ended in divorce, according to the newly released American Community Survey data from the Census Bureau. This is the lowest rate we have seen in 50 years. It is even slightly lower than 1970, when 15 marriages ended in divorce per 1,000 marriages.

A lower divorce rate means longer marriages. According to the new Census data, the median duration of current marriages in the U.S. has increased almost one year in the recent decade, from 19 years in 2010  to 19.8 years in 2019.

The drop in the divorce rate is likely to continue in 2020, despite the pandemic. When COVID-19 hit America in March, early signs suggested that the pandemic may have expedited divorces because of lockdown-related stress. However, new survey data finds that the pandemic has actually brought some couples closer to each other. According to data from the American Family Survey, a majority of married Americans (58%) say that the pandemic has made them appreciate their spouse more and half agree that their commitment to marriage has deepened. Moreover, initial data from some states suggests that divorce filings have indeed declined. It is likely that divorce may increase a bit after COVID-19 because of the pent-up demands, but the overall decline in divorce appears to be a consistent trend.

This is great news for Americans who are married. It means that their marriages will likely be more stable, and their children will be more likely to grow up with two married parents, which provides them the best chance for success later in life.

Even so, fewer Americans are married today to reap the many benefits associated with marriage. Another piece of news coming out of the new Census data is that the U.S. marriage rate just hit an all-time low in 2019. For every 1,000 unmarried adults in 2019, only 33 got married. This number was 35 a decade ago in 2010 and 86 in 1970.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:16:57 AM »

For the record, a lower divorce rate can also cause rather than be caused by fewer marriages. It’s a very bad idea to attribute trends to a singular cause.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »

But when will my Facebook friends stop giving their takes on "why marriages don't last long anymore"?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:59 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2020, 08:44:11 AM by Liberty Prime »

Good! Although if my friends are any indication, a lot of people have gotten yolo married this year, I think covid kinda factors in like why the hell not lol, not necessarily a bad thing though, people need to work things out instead of giving up so easily and getting divorced.

I haven’t even been married a year yet but it feels like we live in a different world now, since it was just a few months before covid hit. It’s really crazy to think about honestly.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2020, 10:45:27 AM by Del Tachi »

This is great news for Americans who are married. It means that their marriages will likely be more stable, and their children will be more likely to grow up with two married parents, which provides them the best chance for success later in life.

Not true.  The percentage of all children born out of wedlock in 2016 was nearly 40% - up from 28% in 1990.  The number of kids in foster care has also been hitting record highs in recent years, even as total births decrease (thanks, opioid epidemic!)  Family is not something that is fashionable among educated, urbane Millennials, so the current generation of kids is being born into more precarious situations and more broken homes than ever before.

Whatever is driving this trend in marriage/divorce, the benefits of it are not reaching America's children.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 11:10:17 AM »

Family is not something that is fashionable among educated, urbane Millennials

seems to be fashionable among Gen Z’s in rural middle of nowhere TN tho 😂
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »

Yup, lol:

the current generation of kids is being born into more precarious situations and more broken homes than ever before
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »

Not true.  The percentage of all children born out of wedlock in 2016 was nearly 40% - up from 28% in 1990.  The number of kids in foster care has also been hitting record highs in recent years, even as total births decrease (thanks, opioid epidemic!)  Family is not something that is fashionable among educated, urbane Millennials, so the current generation of kids is being born into more precarious situations and more broken homes than ever before.

Whatever is driving this trend in marriage/divorce, the benefits of it are not reaching America's children.

That foster care statistic is definitely not good, but I'm less certain on the "out of wedlock" thing. Anecdotally, I know several people who haven't bothered to get married, but basically live as a married couple with children. Also I don't know where you got the "educated, urbane millennials" thing, or the idea that "fashion" drives any of these decisions.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »

That foster care statistic is definitely not good, but I'm less certain on the "out of wedlock" thing. Anecdotally, I know several people who haven't bothered to get married, but basically live as a married couple with children. Also I don't know where you got the "educated, urbane millennials" thing, or the idea that "fashion" drives any of these decisions.

Family is not fashionable among urbane, educated Millennials because its an insanely costly commitment when you're trying to recoup the big human capital investments you made in yourself during undergrad/grad school

Millennials are the most educated generation in history.  When you invest heavily in your education, the only way you stand to recoup that investment is by being a highly-mobile, urbane professional who can relocate to high-earning job markets (i.e., big cities.)  Not only are these places not very family friendly (high cost-of-living, bad schools, etc.) but having to remain professionally flexible/mobile can delay major personal milestones, like marriage or starting a family.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »

For the record, a lower divorce rate can also cause rather than be caused by fewer marriages. It’s a very bad idea to attribute trends to a singular cause.

Yeah but we also know people are waiting until they are older to get married than they used to. Not many kids getting married to their high school sweetheart at 18 anymore, lots are waiting until 30s or beyond now. Not unreasonable to infer this means that because people are waiting longer to get married, they have more experience and are more certain they are making the right choice when and if they finally do get married. Then that means there are fewer marriages in the first place, and they are more solid and thus less likely to end in divorce. And then fewer divorces means fewer re-marriages, so fewer marriages overall. So it’s actually kinda both, probably.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »

Not a surprise to see d00man post this since this identical article has been "news" for the past 20 years. And every year the same analysis comes along with it. Inequality has become very high, so traditional markers of domestic stability are declining on a similar curve. Thanks for sharing this groundbreaking story.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 04:17:10 PM »

Family is not fashionable among urbane, educated Millennials because its an insanely costly commitment when you're trying to recoup the big human capital investments you made in yourself during undergrad/grad school

Millennials are the most educated generation in history.  When you invest heavily in your education, the only way you stand to recoup that investment is by being a highly-mobile, urbane professional who can relocate to high-earning job markets (i.e., big cities.)  Not only are these places not very family friendly (high cost-of-living, bad schools, etc.) but having to remain professionally flexible/mobile can delay major personal milestones, like marriage or starting a family.

OK, that makes sense. Still think "fashionable" was not a great word choice, but I get what you mean.

I stand by what I said about "out of wedlock" though.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 04:38:32 PM »

Not a surprise to see d00man post this since this identical article has been "news" for the past 20 years. And every year the same analysis comes along with it. Inequality has become very high, so traditional markers of domestic stability are declining on a similar curve. Thanks for sharing this groundbreaking story.
A big factor was that WWII vets married at an unusually young age.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »

Anecdotal, but I'll soon be turning 27, and I have not been to a wedding in I think 7 or 8 years. I have only one close friend who has gotten married, and it was this year, so no big wedding because of COVID. Of the 127 people in my high school graduating class, I think only three have gotten married, and of those three, two have since gotten divorced. I can't possibly imagine that having been the case 20 or even 10 years ago.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »

Is this a bad thing? It means fewer people are jumping into something on a whim that they aren't ready for and don't comprehend what it means for the longer term.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »

That’s pretty much it. No one wants to move with you and relationships only last about 2 years in this sort of environment.
Asta

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »

I speculate that self-selection phenomenon has become far more powerful than in previous years as people are getting more calculated in their decisions.

My friends that haven't gotten married always tell me the same thing: "It's expensive" "I haven't found anyone, it's hard to date and get married"

People drowning in college tuition debt, or those less likely to be coveted as romance prospects, for example, seem to exclude themselves out of the dating pool, making married couples on the more educated, financially stable part of the younger generation.

Another anecdotal experience for me is that people younger than me (33), younger sect of Millennials and Gen Z, almost don't even seem like they want to get married. Not that they're not interested in dating, but the young men seem content being stuck inside the basement playing Fort Nite or glued to their phone.

Am I happy about lower divorce rate? Not really. If anything, it depicts a gloomy landscape of younger generation that is increasingly seeing marriage as a privilege due to financial burden and resorting to cohabitation.

As a married person, I'm increasingly worried about this for the future generation.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »

People are being smart. You shouldn't marry just cause. Have to be practical.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 06:24:22 PM »

Note to self: When I eventually want to "settle down", and form a family, move to rural middle of nowhere TN
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 06:48:39 PM »

Anecdotal, but I'll soon be turning 27, and I have not been to a wedding in I think 7 or 8 years. I have only one close friend who has gotten married, and it was this year, so no big wedding because of COVID. Of the 127 people in my high school graduating class, I think only three have gotten married, and of those three, two have since gotten divorced. I can't possibly imagine that having been the case 20 or even 10 years ago.

Your high school is very different from my high school. I'm 25.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 11:40:08 AM by Del Tachi »

Inequality has become very high, so traditional markers of domestic stability are declining on a similar curve.

Changes in how people marry are actually (probably) the biggest driver of increased inequality and decreasing social mobility.  Used to, it wasn't uncommon for a doctor to marry a nurse or for a lawyer to marry his secretary.  Now, doctors/lawyers marry other doctors/lawyers.  Women attending college/grad school at high rates/working in the professional fields has really stratified dating and marriage along socioeconomic lines. 

People are being smart. You shouldn't marry just cause. Have to be practical.

Getting married as quickly as you can is actually one the most practical things you can do.  Married people earn more money and report less stress than single people, even once controlling for age/education, because a) being able to split domestic responsibilities is actually a huge boon to your professional productivity and b) being married increases your social capital by growing your personal/professional networks (more than 2x, even)

What's unpractical is remaining an indebted, childless renter well into your mid-30s (the rise of this demographic is also, no doubt, a major driver of "inequality", lol.)  Forget love and intimacy, you should marry for the economic benefit of the arrangement Smiley 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »

One thing I will say, as a gay man I'm really hopeful that declining marriage rates will serve as an impetus for conservatives to start thinking of promoting/normalizing same-sex  marriage as a "pro family" position.

If straights are not willing to get hitched and raise kids, I am more than happy to pick up the slack.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 08:15:57 PM »

I know divorce rates are going down but so are marriages. How about marriages that end in divorce %
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »

Inequality has become very high, so traditional markers of domestic stability are declining on a similar curve.

Changes in how people marry are actually (probably) the biggest driver of increased inequality and decreasing social mobility.  Used to, it wasn't uncommon for a doctor to marry a nurse or for a lawyer to marry his secretary.  Now, doctors/lawyers marry other doctors/lawyers.  Women attending college/grad school at high rates/working in the professional fields has really stratified dating and marriage along socioeconomic lines. 

I imagine women had fewer opportunities for higher education and entering the professions back then. So this may not have been as reliable an indicator of inter-class marriages as it would be today. I otherwise agree with your point on doctors marrying doctors, lawyers marrying lawyers, software developers marrying software developers, entertainers marrying entertainers, etc.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 12:53:10 AM »

Children in a home with two adults cohabitating perform worse in many metrics than single parents. Marriage has VERY important implications, and its abandonment and decreasing popularity among young heterosexuals has solidified a point I have made before: the ideal household for a young child is that of a married, gay couple. They make more money and they divorce at lower rates, which directly leads to them being the best home for children on average.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies