2022 AZ-GOV: Cindy McCain (D) vs. Mark Brnovich/Kimberly Yee (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2022 AZ-GOV: Cindy McCain (D) vs. Mark Brnovich/Kimberly Yee (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2022 AZ-GOV: Cindy McCain (D) vs. Mark Brnovich/Kimberly Yee (R)  (Read 654 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:25:55 PM »

Let’s say Cindy McCain formally changes parties and runs as a Democrat in Arizona in 2022, wins the nomination on a combination of name recognition, perceived electability, and a center-left platform.

Her opponent is likely to be either AG Mark Brnovich or State Treasurer (and former State Senate Majority Leader) Kimberly Yee.

Either way, how does she do? Does she win?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »

As much as I think Cindy McCain would be an interesting candidate, she isn't winning a Democratic Primary.

She might win a three-way race in a D wave, if she ran as an Independent, and she sucked up the majority of the Democratic vote, plus some moderate Republicans, however.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »

As much as I think Cindy McCain would be an interesting candidate, she isn't winning a Democratic Primary.

She might win a three-way race in a D wave, if she ran as an Independent, and she sucked up the majority of the Democratic vote, plus some moderate Republicans, however.

I can see a situation in which national Dems back her financially even as an independent candidate, simply because it would be seen that she has better odds of winning.

Also she has already said that the GOP is no longer “her party;” whether she was speaking literally or metaphorically I guess is open to interpretation, but between that and her strong support of Biden, it’s possible she’s already been making moves towards a switch. I wouldn’t COMPLETELY rule out the possibility of her winning a primary, especially because the rest of the bench seems relatively weak for Dems in AZ.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »

NO

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »

LOL, well, would you rather have a Trumpist Republican? Because she just might be your best chance to stop that.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »

Cindy McCain is not winning a DEM primary despite your sick fantasies. If she runs as an indie, she sucks the energy out of the DEM campaign and battles for second place to lose against a Trumpist.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 07:43:15 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2020, 07:50:45 PM by Alben Barkley »

Cindy McCain is not winning a DEM primary despite your sick fantasies. If she runs as an indie, she sucks the energy out of the DEM campaign and battles for second place to lose against a Trumpist.

She's earned a lot of goodwill from me with just how strongly she supported Biden and continues to do so (is on his transition team). I find it funny how deadset everyone is against the very idea when we don't even know that much about her actual politics or how much they differ from her husband's. It's pretty clear they very strongly differ from the current GOP's at least.

Besides, we're talking about the Arizona governorship here, which unless you live in Arizona, doesn't affect you that much unlike a Senate seat might. Say she does have some neocon tendencies, so what? Is Arizona gonna nuke Iran? It's good to keep state governments run by sane, sensible people when at all possible, regardless of party even, which is why I think if I personally lived in Arizona, I might support this hypothetical run just because it might be the best chance of stopping an insane, insensible Trumpist from winning.

Also, keep in mind just how close McCain came to caucusing with the Dems back in 2001:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/tom-daschle-john-mccain-switching-parties/index.html

His widow entering politics as a Democrat would hardly be the most shocking thing in the world.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »

Cindy McCain gets clocked soundly
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 02:52:44 AM »

She's earned a lot of goodwill from me with just how strongly she supported Biden and continues to do so (is on his transition team). I find it funny how deadset everyone is against the very idea when we don't even know that much about her actual politics or how much they differ from her husband's. It's pretty clear they very strongly differ from the current GOP's at least.

Besides, we're talking about the Arizona governorship here, which unless you live in Arizona, doesn't affect you that much unlike a Senate seat might. Say she does have some neocon tendencies, so what? Is Arizona gonna nuke Iran? It's good to keep state governments run by sane, sensible people when at all possible, regardless of party even, which is why I think if I personally lived in Arizona, I might support this hypothetical run just because it might be the best chance of stopping an insane, insensible Trumpist from winning.

Also, keep in mind just how close McCain came to caucusing with the Dems back in 2001:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/tom-daschle-john-mccain-switching-parties/index.html

His widow entering politics as a Democrat would hardly be the most shocking thing in the world.

My first comment was a tad rude, but I still don't see it happening. There's no evidence she wants the job.

However, if we play along, then yes, if she's the only D on the ballot, she likely wins - wealthy suburbanites are "allowed" to vote DEM if it's her.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies