PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:30:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 284174 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:03 PM »

Cartwright seems like a better bet at this point
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »

It would probably be smarter to elevate Cartwright given the state of his district, and I like him, but I doubt he beats Fetterman in a primary. The Scranton area can't exactly compete with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Fetterman isn't going to be the candidate of choice for Philly or its suburbs; he'll get killed there in the primary.  I'm not saying Cartwright will do any better, but the point stands.  I also don't think it's clear that Fetterman would wipe the floor with Cartwright in the Pittsburgh area.  He might, but it's not a given.  Lamb would certainly beat Fetterman there if he runs.  Fetterman is also pretty untested and while he may well prove to be a really strong candidate, right now there's not much to back up all the hype. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »

It would probably be smarter to elevate Cartwright given the state of his district, and I like him, but I doubt he beats Fetterman in a primary. The Scranton area can't exactly compete with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Fetterman isn't going to be the candidate of choice for Philly or its suburbs; he'll get killed there in the primary.  I'm not saying Cartwright will do any better, but the point stands.  I also don't think it's clear that Fetterman would wipe the floor with Cartwright in the Pittsburgh area.  He might, but it's not a given.  Lamb would certainly beat Fetterman there if he runs.  Fetterman is also pretty untested and while he may well prove to be a really strong candidate, right now there's not much to back up all the hype. 

You're right, but I don't think Fetterman is going to get a substantial challenge. Shapiro, darling of the Philadelphia suburbs is probably going for the governorship. Lamb I don't buy is running, and maybe Houlahan runs, but I don't think she can beat Fetterman. Cartwright's base is the Scranton area, and I don't buy that he could draw serious support in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Fetterman running probably means Wolf is behind him privately anyway.

Houlahan would wipe the floor with Fetterman in a one on one primary.  Also, I see no reason to think Wolf is supporting Fetterman, I think read that they don’t even get along very well (but don’t quote me on that).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:25:34 PM »

You're right, but I don't think Fetterman is going to get a substantial challenge. Shapiro, darling of the Philadelphia suburbs is probably going for the governorship. Lamb I don't buy is running, and maybe Houlahan runs, but I don't think she can beat Fetterman. Cartwright's base is the Scranton area, and I don't buy that he could draw serious support in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Houlahan would wipe the floor with Fetterman in a one on one primary.  Also, I see no reason to think Wolf is supporting Fetterman, I think read that they don’t even get along very well (but don’t quote me on that).
That seems rather confident about Houlahan. Fetterman has the name recognition and almost certainly a fundraising advantage. And he has the advantage of having been elected statewide over her. I don’t see much reason to believe that she’d be a particularly strong candidate or that she’s even considering running at all. Also Wolf and Fetterman do seem like they get along pretty well, at least compared to Stack.

Well, Houlahan would clean up in the Philly burbs and Philly, that alone would kill Fetterman in a one on one primary.  Fetterman, Cartwright, and Lamb all need a 3-4 person field and/or multiple strong Philly area candidates.  Also, not convinced Fetterman will have a massive fundraising advantage or that most people in PA know who the Lt. Governor is Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »

That seems rather confident about Houlahan. Fetterman has the name recognition and almost certainly a fundraising advantage. And he has the advantage of having been elected statewide over her. I don’t see much reason to believe that she’d be a particularly strong candidate or that she’s even considering running at all. Also Wolf and Fetterman do seem like they get along pretty well, at least compared to Stack.

Well, Houlahan would clean up in the Philly burbs and Philly, that alone would kill Fetterman in a one on one primary.  Fetterman, Cartwright, and Lamb all need a 3-4 person field and/or multiple strong Philly area candidates.  Also, not convinced Fetterman will have a massive fundraising advantage or that most people in PA know who the Lt. Governor is Tongue

Based on the last 48 hours he would absolutely have a fundraising edge.

No one else is running yet Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 10:16:35 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

It's real simple Pennsylvania Democrats. Shapiro for governor, fetterman for Senate, lamb for attorney general. Clear the freaking primary field if you want any chance in November because it's a Biden midterm.

Shapiro for Governor is correct, but Fetterman should run for re-election as LG (or Doyle’s seat if he retires). He’s the guy you run when you expect a Democratic wave year like 2018.  

Cartwright should be our nominee for Senate and if not him, then even Lamb is probably a safer choice than Fetterman this cycle for several reasons (I don’t think we should run Lamb either b/c I suspect he might try some Manchin/Sinema BS re: opposing nuking the filibuster):

1) PA is not a Berniecrat-friendly state as far as statewide races go; 2) Fetterman has never won a GE for anything in his own right higher than Mayor of Braddock, PA so he’s pretty untested compared to our other options; 3) There is no evidence that Fetterman has any special appeal in a key region (in fact, he has no real track record of electoral success beyond winning a clown car LG primary largely b/c the geographical base breakdown of an incredibly fractured field was exclusively to his advantage); 4) There is reason to think Lamb and especially Cartwright would over-perform generic D in key regions based on their past election results

Cartwright is an over-performer in a tough region who has proven crossover appeal despite not being a ConservaDem.  He’s got some progressive views, but also hasn’t branded himself as a Berniecrat (or an establishmentarian).  I just don’t see how, logically speaking, we’d be better off running an untested candidate who has never won a competitive GE for Congress or statewide office in a state that in a Democratic President’s midterm just b/c Fetterman has gotten a lot of hype from the #RoseTwitter crowd.  

As for the others, AG would probably be a step down for Lamb unless he’s given an unwinnable district.  Houlihan is basically generic D imo, speaking of potential candidates.  

TL;DR: At a bare minimum, Fetterman should face a serious primary opponent if only to get a better sense of whether the hype is actually warranted before it’s too late to go with someone else.  We have a strong bench; why roll the dice on an untested candidate when we could run a proven over-performer who still has at least some very progressive positions on issues like healthcare (I.e. Matt Cartwright).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 08:34:50 PM »

I don't live in PA but PASS. Rooting for Conor Lamb if he gets in.

Conor Lamb is a fraud. He voted against a bill to federally decriminalize marijuana because he felt it was a waste of time. Talk about living in the past.

Of all things, that’s your beef with Lamb?  He didn’t virtue signal on a marijuana bill that was never gonna pass?  Seriously? Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »

Honestly, the idea that Fetterman would over-perform Generic D with Obama-Trump voters is starting to feel more and more like wishful thinking.  It kinda reminds me of people who thought Bernie would've been our best shot at flipping states like WI, MI, and PA in 2020.  

Cartwright and - albeit to a lesser degree - Lamb have records of winning tough districts and over-performing (Lamb did so in the special and 2018, Cartwright over-performed Biden quite impressively by winning re-election by ~4% in a 2020 Trump district).  

Fetterman is basically just a vocally left-wing dude with a beard and tattoos who has never won a GE in his own right for anything above Braddock Mayor and only won his first primary for LG b/c he was the only non-eastern PA candidate in a race with 3-4 major eastern PA candidates.  

If winning back WWC Obama-Trump voters were that easy, Democrats would be running Fetterman clones everywhere, but there's really no reason to assume having tattoos and a beard is the secret sauce.  I wish it was because, ideologically speaking, Fetterman is easily the best of our potential candidates here.  However, we also need to win the GE in a Biden midterm and I've yet to see any compelling evidence to support the assertions that Fetterman has any special appeal with WWC voters the way Cartwright (and *maybe* Lamb) does or in the Philly burbs the way Shapiro does.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »

I mean, people keep talking about how Fetterman is untested, but who are the other options? Besides Cartwright, who I think has probably proven himself at this point, none of the other candidates seem likely to significantly overperform among any demographic. I mean, I know Lamb won that race in 2018, but he couldn't even overperform Biden this past year, plus he's worse ideologically than Fetterman imo. Houlahan seems fine, but the Philly burbs are hardly a place where I'd imagine one candidate would drastically overperform generic D. Same goes for Boyle in Philly proper. In my view, unless Cartwright bites, Fetterman seems like the best candidate from an electability perspective; it risks nothing and also means that he might get those mythical Obama-Trump voters if the hype is real.

Cartwright and Lamb (he’s over-performed in two of his three congressional races, all of which were competitive) are probably more electable (the hype could be real though), but Lamb has problematic #ModerateHero tendencies.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:49:31 AM »

I know this is pretty superficial, but is it just me or does Costello have a very dopey-looking facial expression in almost every picture he’s in?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 06:03:08 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2021, 06:09:20 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Ugh. This bozo. Guess he's worried about getting drawn out.

I mean, he’d probably be a stronger candidate than Fetterman tbf.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »

I mean, he’d probably be a stronger candidate than Fetterman, so...

Even if a genie told me this was the case I really cannot handle another Sinema in the Senate atm.

And this is why I prefer Cartwright and maybe (depending on whether he runs a strong campaign) Fetterman.  My point is that Lamb running makes a lot of sense from his PoV regardless of redistricting, especially if he can get the DSCC to back him.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »

I mean, he’d probably be a stronger candidate than Fetterman tbf.

We’ve seen time and time again that running to the center in tough races is not a safe strategy. Lamb is uninspiring and lacks substance. What does he have over Fetterman (or Cartwright) in terms of appeal to working class voters or POC?

Lamb’s special election and 2018 victories were pretty d*** impressive, but as I have said, I’d prefer Cartwright and possibly even Fetterman despite the latter potentially being a weaker candidate.  I doubt Lamb or Fetterman have any special appeal to POC, but both have the potential to over-perform with WWC voters...or be a bust with them.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 10:01:51 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Unless the Philly establishment machine unites behind Kenyatta, this probably helps Conor Lamb more than anything since it means the progressive vote will be split.  If another noteworthy Philly or Philly burbs candidate gets in, he’s probably at least the slight frontrunner (unless Cartwright also jumps in).  

Fetterman, Lamb, Cartwright, and arguably even Houlahan (a lot less sure about her though since she’s basically Generic D) would be better candidates imo.  What reason is there to think Kenyatta would uniquely over-perform anywhere the way, say, Cartwright did in 2020 or the way Lamb did in 2018 and the special election?  He also doesn’t have a uniquely compelling profile which Fetterman may or may not have.  What is the electoral argument for why he’s the strongest candidate in the GE?  

I mean, “charismatic AA candidate who can get high AA turnout” seems to be the path forward in some southern states, but I don’t think PA fits that mold.  Its voters are at least somewhat more elastic than those in a state like Georgia or Wisconsin and I do think it is a state where we need someone who can over-perform at least a little bit, even if that just means not losing as badly as Generic D in a certain region.  

Plus, Kenyatta is basically a random 2nd term state Rep. from Philly proper; why gamble our best pickup opportunity on him when everyone agrees we’ve already got a stupidly strong bench in PA?  Keeping my fingers crossed that Cartwright gets in with DSCC backing and that Lamb passes on the race as a result.  

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 10:43:27 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Wouldn't Cartwright open up a vulnerable seat in the House? And isn't he a boring dude?

I'm for sure backing Fetterman.

Cartwright was reelected by 3.6% in 2020 in a district that also voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020.  In other words, he has strong enough crossover appeal that a statistically significant number of Trump voters crossed party lines in a Presidential election year to vote for him.  It’s literally the reason he won re-election.  At the same time, Cartwright is a progressive who has amassed a pretty impressive voting record from a policy standpoint.  Clearly he’s doing something right Tongue

Wouldn't Cartwright open up a vulnerable seat in the House? And isn't he a boring dude?

I'm for sure backing Fetterman.

Yes, at this point, Cartwright bring nothing to the race that Fetterman or Kenyatta wouldn't bring. I would expect him to stay in Congress at this point.

He brings a proven record of over-performance and crossover appeal in a tough region of the state while simultaneously having a strong progressive record in the House.  Fetterman lacks any sort of meaningful electoral track record, but you could at least argue his profile might give him special appeal to WWC voters (although I am a bit skeptical at this point).  What does Kenyatta even bring to the table from an electability standpoint?  I’m genuinely asking b/c right now, I can’t think of anything.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 11:04:20 AM »

Unless the Philly establishment machine unites behind Kenyatta, this probably helps Conor Lamb more than anything since it means the progressive vote will be split.  If another noteworthy Philly or Philly burbs candidate gets in, he’s probably at least the slight frontrunner (unless Cartwright also jumps in).  

Disagree. Historically, PA Dem primaries are along geographic lines, not ideological ones. Kenyatta would have the advantage in a Kenyatta vs. Lamb vs. Fetterman primary because the (already smaller) Western vote would be split.

He also doesn’t have a uniquely compelling profile which Fetterman may or may not have.  What is the electoral argument for why he’s the strongest candidate in the GE?  

Err...you can debate the general election viability of Kenyatta versus other candidates, but it's a bit of a stretch to say a 30-year old black man who'd be the first openly gay male Senator in history doesn't have a "uniquely compelling profile"

What is the electoral argument for why he’s the strongest candidate in the GE?  

The electoral argument is that Pennsylvania is a turnout state, not a persuasion state, and that Kenyatta (who is very well-known in his community, often on a first-name basis with constituents) would see higher African American turnout in the Philly area - replicating Biden's path to victory in the state. Despite all the hype, Biden didn't really over-perform in the ancestral Dem / WWC areas of the state, and just because Fetterman is big and dressed-down doesn't mean he would either. I think there's a stronger argument for why Lamb / Cartwright would over-perform slightly in those areas, but given the raw number of voters, I'm not sure it'd be enough, especially if black turnout is lower with them. The gubernatorial nominee is also going to be a generic white dude; we need to give younger and POC voters a reason to turn out.

- The geographic argument about PA primaries is fair, but I don’t think it is a given that the Philly machine will rally around Kenyatta.  Time will tell.  

-  I meant that it’s not the sort of profile that is going to potentially give him special crossover appeal or make him likely to over-perform Generic D.  Also, if the focus group results about Buttigieg are anything to go by, being gay could even hurt him with older AA voters.  I doubt it, but the possiblity can’t be discounted.  Plus, we just ran a progressive AA from Philly proper who had a higher profile than Kenyatta - Nina Ahmad - and she under-performed the rest of the ticket.  Kenyatta’s profile is clearly not some sort of secret sauce to juicing AA turnout by enough to win on the strength of that alone.  

- That said, I agree that the argument Fetterman’s profile will give him some special appeal with WWC voters leaves a lot to be desired.  

- I mean, I’d argue PA is simultaneously a persuasion and a turnout state which makes it an extra tricky needle to thread.  Biden actually did well enough that quite a few rural Republican counties in PA swung toward us in the Presidential race.  It’s about how much you lose by in some of those places, not whether you carry them.  

- I’m also not really convinced that nominating Kenyatta will have a big impact on AA turnout outside of maybe his district.  The best way to get the base to turnout is to nuke or gut the filibuster and pass progressive legislation that either directly effects people or is a major priority for the Democratic base.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »

- I’m also not really convinced that nominating Kenyatta will have a big impact on AA turnout outside of maybe his district.  The best way to get the base to turnout is to nuke or gut the filibuster and pass progressive legislation that either directly effects people or is a major priority for the Democratic base.

Stacey Abrams has given us the framework for organizing, specifically in black communities. We know that midterms come down to turnout and no matter who the Democrats nominate, we need every vote possible. We have a ton of votes in Philly, Pittsburgh, Erie, Montco/Bucks/Delco that are heavily favorable for Dems. A lot of those voters are black. Organizers in PA know this, specifically the ones working in those areas. There's a compelling case to make that Fetterman can help win back WWC voters in places like Erie and Luzerne and Lackawanna but that's inherently an uphill battle because they've already demonstrated willingness to vote for Trumpist candidates. Winning black voters in Philly and Pittsburgh and the collar counties is inherently favorable towards Democrats and just comes down to turnout. If Kenyatta is the type of person who can turn those people out, his case is equally compelling.

There's no evidence that Kenyatta would get us higher than usual AA turnout.  And Georgia is a turnout state, not a turnout + persuasion state like PA.  What little evidence we have suggests Kenyatta is at least as likely to under-perform Generic D as over-perform. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 04:32:47 PM »

Considering Pennsylvania hasn't had a black statewide politican of prominence in a long time (if ever? besides like Auditor General or something), this would be huge For Kenyatta. That could work in his favor.

Don't get the hype about Cartwright. Yeah, he did great in his district, but that's more reason for him to STAY there, b/c we'd lose that seat then if he'd lose. And I don't see Cartwright performing any different than someone like Lamb statewide. People may hate Lamb here for some reason, but PA is still very much a tossup, so I think he'd be an Ossoff-type statewide candidate (and I mean that in a good way)

I'm still not convinced Lamb will jump in though. Would make sense for him to wait for Attorney General, no?

Lamb doesn't have the social media chops Ossoff does nor is he really appealing to younger voters. He strikes me as a Buttigieg type, a young straight laced guy who old people love.

Buttigieg at least had the sense not to oppose decriminalised marijuana. Lamb says he's in favour of it 'in a serious way' but has voted on it in a way that'd make Tipper Gore proud. It's the sort of galaxy brained political posturing which actively repels voters across the political spectrum.

Lamb also lacks Buttigieg’s exceptionally strong and broad policy knowledge and if anything, Shapiro is the one whose base overlaps more with Buttigieg’s base (well-educated suburbanites) Tongue  Lamb is also generally well to Pete’s right ideologically speaking.

Lamb and Pete aren’t very similar, at least imo.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »

Plus, we just ran a progressive AA from Philly proper who had a higher profile than Kenyatta - Nina Ahmad - and she under-performed the rest of the ticket.

What?  Nina is Bangladeshi-American, and I can assure you that Bangladesh is not a country in Africa.     Angry    She mentioned her heritage in pretty much every single interview she did, so if you know enough about her candidacy to call her progressive, I’m not sure how you missed this.

Honestly, I just assumed she was African-American w/o double-checking; that was clearly prejudice on my part.  Not much to do but admit the mistake and do better going forward Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:07 AM »

Gonna go out on a limb and say a lot of the Cartwright support comes from people who haven't heard the man speak. Great rep, but not exactly bursting with charisma. Fetterman and Kenyatta, particularly Fetterman, would be better options.

I have heard him speak and you’re right, John Fetterman and Conor Lamb (I haven’t heard Kenyatta speak enough to say) are both more charismatic than Cartwright.  However, I’ve also seen Cartwright’s victories in his district and the 2020 results speak for themselves.  Fetterman is ideologically better than Lamb and Lamb has a much stronger case from an electability standpoint.  Cartwright has both of their strengths (solid progressive, but also has a proven record of impressive over-performance in a tough district) with neither of their weaknesses. 

He may not be bursting with charisma, but he’s got a stronger claim than any other potential Democratic candidate to having somehow found the secret sauce to getting statistically significant crossover appeal and over-performing significantly in a tough district.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »

Kenyatta is great, but has little to no name ID and hasn’t been on the ballot statewide. Progressives may not trust him with a Biden endorsement, which would help him raise the necessary cash to boost name ID.

Lamb had a great deal of attention, but will be interesting to see how voters react to him across the state.

Fetterman has been on the ballot statewide twice. I would put my odds on him, because I think the worst has passed + he may be able to raise a good amount of cash if it’s a race between him and Lamb.

The thing is that Fetterman hasn’t actually won a statewide GE in his own right.  Even the competitive LG primary he won was only b/c there were literally like five serious candidates from Philly/the Philly suburbs and no one from the rest of PA except Fetterman.  Plus, while it’s still ridiculously early, the way he handled his first small bump in the road didn’t exactly fill me with confidence.  

Anyway, we still don’t know whether Cartwright, Susan Wild, Jim Kenny, Houlahan, Torsella, Madeline Dean, or someone else we haven’t even thought of will jump in and even Lamb hasn’t made things official yet (idk that he’ll get in absent getting an unwinnable district if the DSCC isn’t solidly in his corner and that’s hardly a sure thing).  Any of them could easily scramble the primary dynamics.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 09:49:38 PM »

If you thought Markey vs. Kennedy was ugly, Kenyatta vs. Fetterman is just getting started (have fun with that, PA Dems):

https://twitter.com/malcolmkenyatta/status/1364290274852294656

Oh boy this is gonna be gross.

And best-case scenario, all it does is result in Sen. Conor Lamb (Sinema Democrat-PA).

Lamb leaves a lot to be desired ideologically, but he’s nowhere near as bad as Sinema.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 12:38:31 PM »

I see Kenyatta is going with the "Fetterman is racist" strategy 🙄

He's not though. In his article in the Inquirer when he jumped in, he literally said:

"I don’t think this is about whether John is racist. I’ve not known him to be,” Kenyatta said. “But I don’t think we can have a system in Pennsylvania where somebody thinks they hear something and then have carte blanche to go chase down the next person they see with a shotgun. I’m from North Philadelphia. I hear gun shots all the time, unfortunately, but we can’t have people think they hear something and run and confront the next person they see. ... As a young Black man I know how traumatizing that can be.”

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/election/malcolm-kenyatta-2022-pennsylvania-senate-campaign-20210219.html

Which is an entirely fair point.

It’s a fair point (and that incident is obviously fair game), but it doesn’t take much reading between the lines to see that he’s basically calling Fetterman a racist.  “I don’t think my opponent is a racist, I just think his white privilege made him feel like he had carte blanche to grab a shotgun and hunt down the nearest black man” is basically just another way of saying “my opponent is a racist who chases around young black men with his shotgun.” 

Regardless of whether he’s right or wrong, Kenyatta is pretty strongly implying that Fetterman is a racist (and a violent one at that).  Honestly, the subtext of the statement you quoted is practically text Tongue  This is a pretty clear shot across the bow.

It’s like in People vs. OJ, when F. Lee Bailey goes on TV and says some version of “I realize that some people say my colleague Bob Shapiro is in over his head.  And I know that many people say he has no idea what he’s doing because he’s a hopelessly incompetent lawyer who couldn’t argue his way out of a wet paper bag.  I want to dispel these rumors and assure everyone watching at home that there is absolutely no reason to think that Bob Shapiro is the wrong man for the job.”  Cut to Shapiro screaming at the TV “[T]hen why the f*** are you saying that?”

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

I wonder what Fetterman/his allies offered him.  I mean, the dude was presumably bought off somehow.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »

Am I the only one who gets major Randy Bryce vibes from John Fetterman? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies