PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 03:10:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 293368 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5025 on: October 23, 2022, 01:22:16 PM »

lol

Completely agree with Fetterman here, but I'd be surprised if this line of attack doesn't backfire on the #woke crowd. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm falling for a joke here, it just seems so out of left field for the Joe Six-Pack who doesn't know that Oz is a raging Turkish nationalist.

There's probably a huge Greek presence in Eastern and Western PA.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5026 on: October 23, 2022, 01:28:13 PM »

(That's aimed at Trump, not you Xavier Tongue)
kwabbit

« Reply #5027 on: October 23, 2022, 01:35:22 PM »

lol

Completely agree with Fetterman here, but I'd be surprised if this line of attack doesn't backfire on the #woke crowd. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm falling for a joke here, it just seems so out of left field for the Joe Six-Pack who doesn't know that Oz is a raging Turkish nationalist.

There's probably a huge Greek presence in Eastern and Western PA.

There’s a higher than average Greek ancestry in PA, but it’s less than one percent and I don’t think this is that much of a top issue for them. Just some low hanging fruit for Fetterman but it doesn’t matter much overall.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5028 on: October 23, 2022, 11:07:43 PM »

If the Fetterman campaign is smart, they'll go all-in on a strategy to hit Oz for serving in the Turkish military and hint at him being Muslim in the last week. Democrats will hate this but, guess what? Most of them will have already voted via absentee ballot!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5029 on: October 24, 2022, 12:09:01 AM »

If the Fetterman campaign is smart, they'll go all-in on a strategy to hit Oz for serving in the Turkish military and hint at him being Muslim in the last week. Democrats will hate this but, guess what? Most of them will have already voted via absentee ballot!

Have you ever considered not being a pig for one solitary minute in your life?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5030 on: October 24, 2022, 12:22:29 AM »

Have you ever considered not being a pig for one solitary minute in your life?

I mean it would work, as terrible as it is.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5031 on: October 24, 2022, 12:59:15 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2022, 01:05:47 AM by bagelman »

Yep, anything is justifed when trying to block Oz from the Senate. Dr. Oz must lose at all costs in the single most important Senate election this year and one of the most important of my lifetime.

Here's my hot take: Oz is doing better than expected and may win because he is a snake oil salesman. Oz understands that politics is about manipulating people, that's been his lifelong profession, and he isn't bogged down by actually having an empathic interested in the people he would supposedly be representing. Oz does care about his people, but his people are the people of Istanbul and Ankara, not Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. (no offense meant to Turkish people here on the board)

There exists a certain subset of the population that don't like candidates like Fetterman because he is down to earth. These sort of people see something gilded and think it's golden, and they will never be persuaded otherwise. They keep up with the Kardasians, they watch youtubers like Jake Paul, they live in a world of celebrity gossip with a social structure of adults in high school.

People on forums like this don't really comprehend these people, even those of us who support Oz because of partisanship and ideology, because to them a photogenic guy on TV is higher on the hierarchy than a doctor, and Oz is both.  

Glamour means nothing to John Fetterman, but some people truly value it as much as traits like honestly and wisdom.

This may also be a reason why Trump won and almost won again, because these sort of people remember the Apprentice and saw pictures of his ornate gilded penthouse and supported him because of that.

Also the dog attack ads come across as desperate and dishonest. Democratic ads on that topic are like the boy crying wolf when other similar sort of ads from both parties have done the same. Most of the time there is no wolf or it's a small dog, this time there really is a wolf, and frankly it's bigger and more sinister than Fetterman and his campaign realize.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5032 on: October 24, 2022, 05:47:35 AM »

Oz touting that "extremism is bad" in a recent ad that I saw last night.

(Also, congrats to my Phillies fan peeps on making the Fall Classic! Your team is on fire and a lot of fun to watch!)

(But y'all are delusional if you think you stand a chance against my Astros...)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5033 on: October 24, 2022, 07:21:57 AM »

Fight fire with fire.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5034 on: October 24, 2022, 07:56:39 AM »

Yep, anything is justifed when trying to block Oz from the Senate. Dr. Oz must lose at all costs in the single most important Senate election this year and one of the most important of my lifetime.

Here's my hot take: Oz is doing better than expected and may win because he is a snake oil salesman. Oz understands that politics is about manipulating people, that's been his lifelong profession, and he isn't bogged down by actually having an empathic interested in the people he would supposedly be representing. Oz does care about his people, but his people are the people of Istanbul and Ankara, not Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. (no offense meant to Turkish people here on the board)

There exists a certain subset of the population that don't like candidates like Fetterman because he is down to earth. These sort of people see something gilded and think it's golden, and they will never be persuaded otherwise. They keep up with the Kardasians, they watch youtubers like Jake Paul, they live in a world of celebrity gossip with a social structure of adults in high school.

People on forums like this don't really comprehend these people, even those of us who support Oz because of partisanship and ideology, because to them a photogenic guy on TV is higher on the hierarchy than a doctor, and Oz is both.  

Glamour means nothing to John Fetterman, but some people truly value it as much as traits like honestly and wisdom.

This may also be a reason why Trump won and almost won again, because these sort of people remember the Apprentice and saw pictures of his ornate gilded penthouse and supported him because of that.

Also the dog attack ads come across as desperate and dishonest. Democratic ads on that topic are like the boy crying wolf when other similar sort of ads from both parties have done the same. Most of the time there is no wolf or it's a small dog, this time there really is a wolf, and frankly it's bigger and more sinister than Fetterman and his campaign realize.

With all due respect, have you *seen* the GOP attack ads against Fetterman? Come on now. There are *many* desperate and dishonest attack ads in this race.

Also you're missing a key part here - people don't like Oz. His favorables continue to be a dumpster fire. You can't be a snake oil sales man successfully if people don't like you.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5035 on: October 24, 2022, 08:11:55 AM »

With all due respect, have you *seen* the GOP attack ads against Fetterman? Come on now. There are *many* desperate and dishonest attack ads in this race.

My fav right now is "Fetterman takes pictures in front of factories.  But he's never worked in a factory..."

Trump wore a hard hat while speaking to coal miners, but he's never worked in a coal mine.  Biden gave a speech in front of a truck parts plant in Ohio but he never worked in auto manufacturing.  I have a picture next to an elephant but I've never owned an elephant. 
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5036 on: October 24, 2022, 08:21:47 AM »

I have a picture next to an elephant but I've never owned an elephant. 

RINO!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5037 on: October 24, 2022, 08:37:32 AM »

My fav right now is "Fetterman takes pictures in front of factories.  But he's never worked in a factory..."

Trump wore a hard hat while speaking to coal miners, but he's never worked in a coal mine.  Biden gave a speech in front of a truck parts plant in Ohio but he never worked in auto manufacturing.  I have a picture next to an elephant but I've never owned an elephant. 

That ad is very ironic coming from Oz to go is trying to act all down to earth when he doenst even know how to normally shop at a grocery store.

Also sorry to inform you of this but you’re a RINO. Real republicans own elephants.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5038 on: October 24, 2022, 03:07:36 PM »

Fetterman's team was out handing "Phillies fans for Fetterman" out last night in the crowds after the win.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5039 on: October 24, 2022, 04:38:00 PM »

Oz touting that "extremism is bad" in a recent ad that I saw last night.

(Also, congrats to my Phillies fan peeps on making the Fall Classic! Your team is on fire and a lot of fun to watch!)

(But y'all are delusional if you think you stand a chance against my Astros...)
Wow you're a bad transplant. Good luck surviving the next two weeks if you go public as an Astros fan lmao
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5040 on: October 24, 2022, 05:36:29 PM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5041 on: October 24, 2022, 05:45:07 PM »

I really don’t (at least no longer) buy that McCormick wouldn’t have done a few points better than Oz in a general election. While 'Romney lite' or 'hedge fund manager' or whatever would have been a problem, (a) a Mitt Romney clone would probably be winning this race against Fetterman if he somehow made it out of a three-way primary, (b) Club of Growth PAC Republican Pat Toomey had some of the same vulnerabilities and yet won the state back when it was considerably less Republican (even though Sestak put up an impressive fight in the final weeks of the campaign), and — most importantly — (c) McCormick wasn’t nearly as personally contemptible or even unrelatable as Oz, which is why the focus never would have been on McCormick the person as much as it is on Oz now. Every minute that is spent trying to turn Oz into a somewhat human, somewhat acceptable alternative to Fetterman is a minute lost in what should be a relentless nationalization of this race.

When you think about it, Oz really seems like the type of Republican candidate designed in a DSCC lab in order lose a competitive race. You couldn’t even include the 'killing puppies' part in a story line because it’d be torn apart as outrageously stereotypical while the crudité part would be judged completely over the top, yet this is Mehmet Oz.

I have a feeling that those 950 votes for Oz over McCormick were possibly the costliest and most consequential ones of the cycle. When you combine this with Sununu not running for NH-SEN, the SLF (foolishly) abandoning Masters in AZ-SEN, Vance/Ryan forcing Republican to divert resources from more competitive states, and Warnock benefiting from the runoff law & the presence of a Libertarian candidate in GA (like Ossoff in 2020), it’s honestly incredible how many lucky breaks Democrats have again had this cycle.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5042 on: October 24, 2022, 07:15:04 PM »

Something to watch if the polls start stabilizing for Fetterman this week. After a GOP advantage on the airwaves, Dems led the ad race pretty solidly the last 2 weeks.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5043 on: October 24, 2022, 07:32:58 PM »

Yeah, I also now buy the “McCormick would win” argument after adamantly countering it; I didn’t expect Fetterman to be this much of a dud, and I think the silent spectre of Oz’s religion and dual citizenship continues to hang pretty heavy with the base.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5044 on: October 24, 2022, 07:37:16 PM »

Yeah, I also now buy the “McCormick would win” argument after adamantly countering it; I didn’t expect Fetterman to be this much of a dud, and I think the silent spectre of Oz’s religion and dual citizenship continues to hang pretty heavy with the base.

We haven't even gotten the results yet.
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #5045 on: October 24, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »

We haven't even gotten the results yet.

Fetterman is a "dud" in the sense that the stroke turned a race that would have been a landslide into a moderate win. I think that can't be denied. A more bland moderate Republican who was actually from the state and not a literal foreign national probably would have won.

Luckily the R candidate is Oz so Dems have a good shot.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #5046 on: October 24, 2022, 08:15:06 PM »

I really don’t (at least no longer) buy that McCormick wouldn’t have done a few points better than Oz in a general election. While 'Romney lite' or 'hedge fund manager' or whatever would have been a problem, (a) a Mitt Romney clone would probably be winning this race against Fetterman if he somehow made it out of a three-way primary, (b) Club of Growth PAC Republican Pat Toomey had some of the same vulnerabilities and yet won the state back when it was considerably less Republican (even though Sestak put up an impressive fight in the final weeks of the campaign), and — most importantly — (c) McCormick wasn’t nearly as personally contemptible or even unrelatable as Oz, which is why the focus never would have been on McCormick the person as much as it is on Oz now. Every minute that is spent trying to turn Oz into a somewhat human, somewhat acceptable alternative to Fetterman is a minute lost in what should be a relentless nationalization of this race.

When you think about it, Oz really seems like the type of Republican candidate designed in a DSCC lab in order lose a competitive race. You couldn’t even include the 'killing puppies' part in a story line because it’d be torn apart as outrageously stereotypical while the crudité part would be judged completely over the top, yet this is Mehmet Oz.

I have a feeling that those 950 votes for Oz over McCormick were possibly the costliest and most consequential ones of the cycle. When you combine this with Sununu not running for NH-SEN, the SLF (foolishly) abandoning Masters in AZ-SEN, Vance/Ryan forcing Republican to divert resources from more competitive states, and Warnock benefiting from the runoff law & the presence of a Libertarian candidate in GA (like Ossoff in 2020), it’s honestly incredible how many lucky breaks Democrats have again had this cycle.
I'd rather have the Senate structurally biased in my favor than some good luck.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5047 on: October 24, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »

Does money even matter this close to the election?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5048 on: October 24, 2022, 10:13:59 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 11:42:11 AM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Wall »

I'm still pretty bullish on it. McCormick himself just parachuted in from CT, which does matter.

I doubt he's as inept as Oz, but McCormick isn't this amazing electoral titan either. I'm fairly confident Barnette would have this in the bag though.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5049 on: October 24, 2022, 10:15:11 PM »

I'm still pretty bullish on it. McCormick himself just parachuted in from CT, which does matter.

I doubt he's as skilled as Oz, but McCormick isn't this amazing electoral titan either. I'm fairly confident Barnette would have this in the bag though.

I think there's a big difference between "foreign Muslim" with a New Jersey dogwhistle and "Pennsylvania native who moved to Connecticut." McCormick didn't really leave Pennsylvania except for school and the military until he was at least 34. But the core point is that it's all a dogwhistle anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies