PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 03:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 293082 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3400 on: August 17, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »

Because a Muslim TV personality quack doctor, with no political experience, who doesn't even live in the state he is running is just about the worst person to appeal to the GOP base and to run in a general election against a competent opponent like Fetterman who has been able to eat his crudite lunch while recovering from a stroke.

I mean Trump was a former T.V personality who never lived in PA and said crazy things, and PA was a swing state in which he was a GREAT fit for. He did better than any GOP presidential  nominee over the last 30 years in PA.

Trump has a personality to excuse all that though. His personality is exactly what they want, and Oz doesn't have that. The guy is awkward and comes across much more elitist than Trump does. Mastriano has that Trump-like swag more, but is somehow more toxic than Trump to all other voters.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3401 on: August 17, 2022, 07:47:31 PM »

Because a Muslim TV personality quack doctor, with no political experience, who doesn't even live in the state he is running is just about the worst person to appeal to the GOP base and to run in a general election against a competent opponent like Fetterman who has been able to eat his crudite lunch while recovering from a stroke.

I mean Trump was a former T.V personality who never lived in PA, had no political experience,  and said crazy things, and PA was a swing state in which he was a GREAT fit for. He did better than any GOP presidential  nominee over the last 30 years in PA.

Because for better or worse, a lot of people bought what Trump was selling.

Oz sounds incredibly disingenuous every time he opens his mouth. The fakeness just oozes out.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #3402 on: August 17, 2022, 07:57:04 PM »

Oz has no base or background in PA and is a lousy candidate and is easy to dislike  For all of his numerous faults, lousy candidate Herschel Walker maintains a considerable reservoir of good will in GA.  

And at the state level, PA remains more Democratic than GA.  Which is why that short of a national Republican trend (which is receding), Oz has little chance.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3403 on: August 17, 2022, 07:57:46 PM »

Not sure if anyone caught it, but apparently there was a segment on CNN yesterday about the crudite scandal and I guess one of the GOP pundits that they usually have on was seething really hard about it all and whining that Fetterman is "trolling" Oz too hard and "not focusing on the real issues"

AKA you're just upset that Oz is making a ridiculous mess of this campaign and Fetterman is rightfully and smartly seizing on every opportunity
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3404 on: August 17, 2022, 08:00:38 PM »

I think the most devastating thing about the crudites video is that he claims to be in a "Wegner's" grocery store, which is a chain that does not exist. He basically merged the names of two chains, "Redner's" which is a popular chain in Pennsylvania and "Wegmans" which is an upscale chain in New Jersey that he's probably more used to. Furthermore this is even more embarrassing than if he had simply called it a "Wegmans" because that has a bunch of locations in the Philly suburbs as well, so he proved that not only is he not familiar with the Pennsylvania chain but also that he seems unaware that Wegmans exist in Pennsylvania as well.

Wegmans is the nicest grocery store I have been to. I love it there!

That ought to show you just how much suburban New Jersey is in Oz. You can't take it out of someone so easily, but most people know better than to carpetbag from here into Pennsylvania to run for a political office they have no business campaigning for.
Sweet kiss of liquid modernity
Heat
Poland

« Reply #3405 on: August 17, 2022, 08:00:49 PM »

I honestly suspect Oz thought that, by getting himself elected to the Senate, he was buying respect from other rich people and other doctors who think he's a TV quack. Getting effortlessly dunked on by a guy who looks like Fetterman does even as his staff sycophanticallly tell him everything's going to be alright on the night has to hurt.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3406 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:44 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2022, 08:05:21 PM by Xing »

Fetterman has done the best job of defining Oz early, and his narrative resonates (as opposed to narratives about Republicans being controversial, which often fall flat.) That’s not to say that the race is over, far from it, but Oz has to find a better response to the “he’s a wealthy outsider who wants to swoop in and buy a Senate seat.”
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3407 on: August 17, 2022, 08:02:53 PM »

I honestly suspect Oz thought that, by getting himself elected to the Senate, he was buying respect from other rich people and other doctors who think he's a TV quack. Getting effortlessly dunked on by a guy who looks like Fetterman does even as his staff sycophanticallly tell him everything's going to be alright on the night has to hurt.

Did he... did he think this made things better? By starting it off with "My houseS" he should've known this was not something to tweet...
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3408 on: August 17, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »

Fetterman has done the best job of defining Oz early, and his narrative resonates (as opposed to narratives about Republicans being controversial, which often fall flat.) That’s not to say that the race is over, far from it, but Oz has to find a better response to the “he’s a wealthy outsider who wants to swoop in and buy a Senate seat.

It's funny you bring that up because just a few hours ago Oz literally tweeted about his multiple houses, defending that he has them because it's "his money". Course correction doesn't seem to be in the mind of Oz or his team right now.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3409 on: August 17, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »

Did he... did he think this made things better? By starting it off with "My houseS" he should've known this was not something to tweet...

When Fetterman was 50 he was LG of PA.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3410 on: August 17, 2022, 08:23:22 PM »

But with Arizona, Masters can at the very least act like a normal person. The stuff he says is dangerous, but he doesn't embarrass himself.

Agreed. Walker is just an utter joke of a candidate - and it's entertaining to watch him founder - Mastriano is far-right, but importantly he's very vocal about it, thus making him an anathema to Biden voters, moderates and swing voters, and dooming him; and Mastriano is the DeathSantis 2.0: the guy who talks smooth, occasionally dropping hints of how crazy he is but mostly keeping himself together, but who if elected plans to turn a purple state into a hellhole.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #3411 on: August 17, 2022, 08:38:51 PM »

> Accused of being out-of-state elite weirdo bc of multiple homes by opponent
> Argue that you bootstrapped your way to buying your homes, plural
> Argue that saying you have 10 homes is inaccurate because 8 of them are "properties" (?)
> "Debate me"

Perfect. No notes
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #3412 on: August 17, 2022, 08:40:08 PM »

Lack of experience, contradictory views, unlikable personality
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #3413 on: August 17, 2022, 08:48:44 PM »

If I didn't know better, I'd say Fetterman's team had somehow gotten control of Oz's Twitter account.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3414 on: August 17, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3415 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:09 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2022, 10:01:17 PM by Never really did ever quite get that far »

Because it's not just that he's weak, but Fetterman is curbstomping him in the messaging war. Basically every single one of his attacks not only falls flat but ends up with an absolutely brutal counterattack.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3416 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:54 PM »

> Accused of being out-of-state elite weirdo bc of multiple homes by opponent
> Argue that you bootstrapped your way to buying your homes, plural
> Argue that saying you have 10 homes is inaccurate because 8 of them are "properties" (?)
> "Debate me"

Perfect. No notes

Did Oz delete that one?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #3417 on: August 17, 2022, 09:39:59 PM »

Still up!
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3418 on: August 17, 2022, 09:58:24 PM »

Oh my god he got ratioed by a self-proclaimed transit nerd with 95 followers.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3419 on: August 17, 2022, 10:04:41 PM »

Fetterman isn't just tweeting.

He's dunking on Oz, cleverly fundraising off of it in a way people don't get annoyed by, before slamming him on the airwaves and TV.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3420 on: August 17, 2022, 10:05:18 PM »

I am from PA, I never once heard of "Crudites".

Couldn't he have said he'd be making some good ol' Shepherd's Pie instead?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3421 on: August 17, 2022, 10:08:58 PM »

Cause he’s clearly trying to be something he’s not. At least most of these other canidates are authentic to some degree.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3422 on: August 17, 2022, 10:13:12 PM »

It's not a regional thing, it's just a French word that's little more than a fancy way of saying "vegetable tray." When I first saw that video I initially assumed that it was some sort of vegetable quiche or soup or something like ratatouille, because no normal talks about making "making" a vegetable tray, and the stuff he was pulling didn't make much sense...who eats asparagus raw? And how does that stuff go with guacamole or salsa instead of ranch dressing? There's also the fact that he reads the price tags wrong, pulls some weird sizes, and doesn't even use a basket or cart which kind of puts into perspective that he's clearly not shopping for his wife and probably hasn't done his own grocery shopping in years.

But the single most embarrassing thing about that is he completely butchers the store name, and both shows that he's unfamiliar with Redner's and also that Wegmans exists in Pennsylvania too.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3423 on: August 17, 2022, 10:37:11 PM »

One underrated reason, in my opinion, is that he's what you may call a "beta male." No one really wants to vote for someone like that which I think is part of the reason a lot of GOP voters don't like him and/or not telling the pollsters that they'll vote for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #3424 on: August 17, 2022, 10:40:49 PM »

Because PA is gone for Rs in 24 Bob Casey Jr will be on the ballot and will win
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 244  
« previous next »