PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 283896 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6000 on: December 25, 2022, 11:02:13 PM »
« edited: December 26, 2022, 10:20:13 AM by Peltola for God Empress »

I'm still numb. Fetterman had a stroke and still won. I don't get it. Oz is stupid.

A stroke has and likely never again will be a disqualifying thing. He’s not in a coma, he’s not blind, he’s not immobile, he just has a few blips every now and then which is basically how a majority of senators are. Health rarely has any baring on a persons electability. Max Cleland was a senator with just one limb for god sakes, and countless current congressmen have missing parts, have gone blind, or have other ailments that could potentially impede their ability to serve. This isn’t the days of Thomas Eagleton or Lawton Chiles
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6001 on: December 25, 2022, 11:43:25 PM »

I'm still numb. Fetterman had a stroke and still won. I don't get it. Oz is stupid.

A stroke has and likely never again will be a disqualifying thing. He’s not in a coma, he’s not blind, he’s not immobile, he just has a few blips every now and then which is basically how a majority of senators are. Health rarely has any baring on a persons electability. Max Cleland was a senator with just one limb for god sakes, and countless current congressmen have missing parts, have gone blind, or  a rip is other ailments that could impede their ability to serve. This isn’t the days of Thomas Eagleton or Lawton Chiles

I also think in this case, the GOP pounced on it way too outright and aggressively to the point it just made them look like a-holes. Had they attacked Fetterman a bit more implicitly, maybe they would've been able to get away with it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6002 on: December 26, 2022, 11:07:05 PM »

A stroke has and likely never again will be a disqualifying thing. He’s not in a coma, he’s not blind, he’s not immobile, he just has a few blips every now and then which is basically how a majority of senators are. Health rarely has any baring on a persons electability. Max Cleland was a senator with just one limb for god sakes, and countless current congressmen have missing parts, have gone blind, or  a rip is other ailments that could impede their ability to serve. This isn’t the days of Thomas Eagleton or Lawton Chiles

I also think in this case, the GOP pounced on it way too outright and aggressively to the point it just made them look like a-holes. Had they attacked Fetterman a bit more implicitly, maybe they would've been able to get away with it.

They also went way overboard with it. From the way they were talking about it, you’d think that he was twitching on the ground and speaking in tongues. But everyone could see that obviously wasn’t true.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6003 on: December 27, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »

I will also add, for whatever reason, Americans are incredibly progressive on disability issues and accepting of different abilities. Go to Europe or Central America the differences in accessibility is very stark.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6004 on: December 27, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »

Let's be honest, we've had Senators in office for years who were literally losing their minds, like Thad Cochran or currently, Diane Feinstein. That is disqualifying. A stroke can be, if it causes enough damage to massively impede their ability to think or communicate.

Fetterman's stroke was never a truly disqualifying condition. It didn't significantly and permanently handicap him and to the extent it caused him issues during the campaign, that is likely to resolve itself over time. Republicans just acted like this was disqualifying because they were eager for something to rule him out in the minds of voters because they wanted to keep the seat despite being saddled with a terrible candidate who voters largely disliked. If he were a Republican, they would have never said a bad word and would probably be defending that candidate just like Fetterman's supporters did.

Fetterman can still do his job better than any number of frail, decrepit lifers in either chamber, and once this election is an afterthought in people's minds, I doubt anyone is going to think about this again.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6005 on: December 27, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »

I know virtually all the posts are deleted, but the comments republicans said about speech impediments during the debate here were uncalled for and looked like elementary school play.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6006 on: December 27, 2022, 04:33:37 PM »

Rs think PA is a GoP state
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6007 on: January 01, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »

Will John Fetterman resign as lt. governor a few days early? His senate term already starts on January 3 while the gubermatorial term expires on January 17.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #6008 on: January 01, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »

Will John Fetterman resign as lt. governor a few days early? His senate term already starts on January 3 while the gubermatorial term expires on January 17.
I don’t think he’ll do it but he could postpone his senate swearing-in to January 17. Rick Scott in 2019 wanted to finish his term as Governor so he delayed his senate swearing-in by 5 days.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6009 on: January 01, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »

If I had to guess, he would leave the gubernatorial term early for seniority's sake at least.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6010 on: January 02, 2023, 03:55:42 PM »

If this holds true, I was right about Fetterman massively underperforming in the Philly suburbs among "country club" republicans Romney Biden voters types.

Forgot about this. Convinced Susquehanna may also just make up #s like Trafalgar and IA.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6011 on: January 06, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »

I know virtually all the posts are deleted, but the comments republicans said about speech impediments during the debate here were uncalled for and looked like elementary school play.

of course to be completely fair.. Kirk lost Illinois in 2016 so large in part due to his stroke. I do not remember Democrats making fun of it, but it was a long time ago.

I do remember at the time being quite stunned at seeing Kirk lose DuPage and Lake County, IL. At the time, it wasn't unreasonable to think those counties would vote gop down ballot. There was a lot of desire to elect more Republicans down ballot in places like these as they thought Clinton would win.  In fact, the comptroller special election went GOP pretty handily in those counties that year.

I remember 2016 being called a GOP wave year. It really was not. More neutral really, just was good for the GOP in results. If 2016 was a GOP wave year, IL Sen would have been much closer, along with winning NH and NV Senate seats.

If the GOP kept quiet about Fetterman's stroke and debate performance, it probably would have been a very very long night. Even a few days.

Whether Fetterman's health issues hurt or helped him.... I think it was neutral. As many votes as he lost over it, he probably gained over it as well.

This thread did not quite reach the length of the VA Gov 2021 thread, but I do believe it was overall more civil here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6012 on: January 06, 2023, 03:55:21 PM »

Kirk lost in 2016 because he was voted like a Generic R despite representing a D+15 state.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6013 on: January 06, 2023, 03:57:14 PM »

Kirk lost in 2016 because he was voted like a Generic R despite representing a D+15 state.

His stroke was not helpful.

At the time, I remember myself and others being stunned he lost Dupage.

Kirk couldn't even get downstate in line either.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6014 on: January 06, 2023, 04:03:41 PM »

He really didn’t vote like a Generic R at all.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6015 on: January 06, 2023, 04:17:25 PM »

on a lot of online right spaces.. not here. but why is it popular for them to say a random solid dem county now adays will vote GOP heavily in the next election due to no trump?

It is not impossible for present trends to completely reverse themselves. Ala Miami Dade.

Maybe they will be right by luck and in 2028 the GOP nominee sweeps suburban chicago/nova/wins texas burbs by romney and bush margins. But I do not see much reason to predict that right now.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6016 on: January 06, 2023, 09:30:03 PM »

Mark Kirk was much more fit for office in 2016 then Fetterman is in 2022/2023
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6017 on: January 08, 2023, 02:32:12 AM »

on a lot of online right spaces.. not here. but why is it popular for them to say a random solid dem county now adays will vote GOP heavily in the next election due to no trump?

It is not impossible for present trends to completely reverse themselves. Ala Miami Dade.

Maybe they will be right by luck and in 2028 the GOP nominee sweeps suburban chicago/nova/wins texas burbs by romney and bush margins. But I do not see much reason to predict that right now.

Honestly I think it’s impossible for some suburbs to vote how they voted a decade ago due to Demographic change: prime example of this would be Henry County in Georgia which used to be R leaning but almost gave Warnock 70% of the vote thanks to rapidly increasing black population. Extreme example, but this is generally applicable to a lot of suburbs.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6018 on: January 08, 2023, 03:02:00 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2023, 03:05:06 AM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Mob »

I think it's funny how none of the centrists are here concerned about Casey's ability to run a race with prostate cancer.

Almost as if everything I said was correct!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6019 on: January 08, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but right wing media has not relented and is still obsessed with Fetterman (trying to make him seem "out of it" at his swearing in), and Fox is still doing segments on Gisele. They just can't let it go.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6020 on: January 08, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but right wing media has not relented and is still obsessed with Fetterman (trying to make him seem "out of it" at his swearing in), and Fox is still doing segments on Gisele. They just can't let it go.

Everything they do just makes us sound more based. Gisele would be an awesome successor to Casey whenever he decides to hang them up.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6021 on: January 08, 2023, 01:42:19 PM »

Why PA may be an issue for the GOP going forward, visualized:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6022 on: January 09, 2023, 11:07:33 AM »

Going to be fun looking back at this thread after Oz wins and all the Democrats mocking him in this thread have to eat their words.

How'd that work out for you?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6023 on: January 09, 2023, 11:10:45 AM »

Oz was never gonna win with Shapiro
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6024 on: January 09, 2023, 11:48:05 AM »

He's going to be a major threat to them going forward, of course they are.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies