PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:59:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 287676 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2021, 09:50:48 PM by KaiserDave »

Cartwright has all of Fetterman's advantages but also more electable, more tested, but unfortunately less Thanos like.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2021, 10:20:29 PM »

Ah shoot, I don't know why I thought Biden won that district. In that case, like I said before, I think either one would be super. Sticking with Fetterman bc tall man make me smile but I'd be happy with either.

Have there been any whispers of a Cartwright candidacy?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »

Ah shoot, I don't know why I thought Biden won that district. In that case, like I said before, I think either one would be super. Sticking with Fetterman bc tall man make me smile but I'd be happy with either.

Have there been any whispers of a Cartwright candidacy?

Not that I know of, I expect such whispers to begin after reapportionment and redistricting.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2021, 10:30:32 PM »

Yeah, Trump won PA-08 by ~4.5% last year.

Has Cartwright even expressed interest in a Senate run? He's easily one of the most vulnerable Democrats in the House (arguably the most) and is virtually a goner no matter what, so a Senate run might be a bit better (though it's hardly a guarantee as overperforming the lean of one's district doesn't necessarily mean someone can win as partisan headwinds can eliminate those advantages quickly).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2021, 01:25:28 AM »

I really don’t think we can know ahead of time who the better statewide candidate would be, at least not without a primary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2021, 01:40:06 AM »

I saw a thumbnail image of Fetterman on YouTube earlier today, and his appearance fits the stereotype of a tough, no nonsense, blue-collar, WWC miner, construction worker, contractor, or factory worker. I don't know that much about his background. Is this why many seem to have such confidence in his capabilities as a candidate for federal or statewide office?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »

I saw a thumbnail image of Fetterman on YouTube earlier today, and his appearance fits the stereotype of a tough, no nonsense, blue-collar, WWC miner, construction worker, contractor, or factory worker. I don't know that much about his background. Is this why many seem to have such confidence in his capabilities as a candidate for federal or statewide office?

He was the popular mayor of Braddock, a small declining town near Pittsburgh. He was involved in trying to develop the town and created various program like urban farming, small art galleries, etc. So it's not like he's a complete political novice, though he is pretty untested on the federal level
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »

Looks like it's time for the "(maybe)" to be removed from the thread title, because Fetterman's IN:

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »

He's got a master of public policy from Harvard and comes from a rich family.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »

I see, and this doesn't surprise me at all. Many politicians who portray themselves as "WWC populists" actually are not, with Trump himself being the most notorious example of this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2021, 07:42:56 PM »

This doesn't matter to me. It kind of reminds me of Jay Rockefeller. I don't know how most Pennsylvanians will take that though.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2021, 08:12:40 PM »

I see, and this doesn't surprise me at all. Many politicians who portray themselves as "WWC populists" actually are not, with Trump himself being the most notorious example of this.

Well yeah duh, it's not like upward mobility is easy in this country. And it takes a lot of capital, including cultural capital to run for higher office
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »

To be fair to the guy, his parents were in poverty (&, not to mention, both literal teenagers) when he was born but his dad opened up a small-business that managed to be successful enough to allow him to grow up in a stable middle-class environment. So, perhaps more privileged than your average member of the WWC, but not exactly screaming 'rich guy faking his understanding of working-class problems in an attempt to endear himself to the working-class for his own political gain' either.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2021, 08:36:19 PM »

Endorsed...too bad it's 2022.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2021, 08:57:01 PM »

Fetterman is gonna be the next Senator
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2021, 10:27:13 PM »

That synopsis is basically like skipping over the entirety of a novel only to read the last chapter.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2021, 11:39:27 PM »

That synopsis is basically like skipping over the entirety of a novel only to read the last chapter.
I know about his effort in Braddock to revitalize the depressed town but I'm honestly worried he's going to feel patronizing towards the WWC areas people expect him to be strong in. Like the democrats want your vote so nominate a rich educated elite who larps like one of you, and his politics is pretty left-wing and out of line with the area.

It's like when they nominated Lollefer in Georgia to win back the suburban woman only to have it fall completely on their face. Partisan dems love Fetterman but I don't think he's got much strength among indepdents or republicans.
Flo 2.0
Soje
Rookie
United States

« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »

Looks like it's time for the "(maybe)" to be removed from the thread title, because Fetterman's IN:

IT'S HAPPENING.GIF

AHHHHHHH love my boy
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2021, 12:39:28 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2021, 02:35:08 AM by Zaybay »

I know about his effort in Braddock to revitalize the depressed town but I'm honestly worried he's going to feel patronizing towards the WWC areas people expect him to be strong in. Like the democrats want your vote so nominate a rich educated elite who larps like one of you, and his politics is pretty left-wing and out of line with the area.

It's like when they nominated Lollefer in Georgia to win back the suburban woman only to have it fall completely on their face. Partisan dems love Fetterman but I don't think he's got much strength among indepdents or republicans.

And this fear that he would be patronizing is based off of?

Listen man, ignoring the fact that Fetterman's family isn't rich to begin with (in fact the actual story of his parent's financial status is itself very interesting), having a degree from Harvard or other prestigious universities is not something typically thrown against a candidate or even really ostracized by the electorate.

I mean, look at the halls of congress and previous politicians. Harvard University on its own has a large number of alumni that include:
- Barack Obama
- Ben Sasse
- Tom Cotton
- Russ Feingold
- Al Franken
- Dan Sullivan (GOP Senator)
- Joe Sestak
and probably one of the more important ones in the context of this conversation, Pat Toomey. And that's just looking at a couple from Harvard.

In all honesty, this fear appears to be largely unfounded. Fetterman may flub up and be considered patronizing during the campaign, but nothing about his profile would suggest that voters would find him a fake.

Also, Fetterman as a "rich educated elite"? Really? Come on man. By this definition almost any candidate the Democrats run would be considered a "rich educated elite".
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »

And this fear that he would be patronizing is based off of?

Listen man, ignoring the fact that Fetterman's family isn't rich to begin with (in fact the actual story of his parent's financial status is itself very interesting), having a degree from Harvard or other prestigious universities is not something typically thrown against a candidate or even really ostracized by the electorate.

I mean, look at the halls of congress and previous politicians. Harvard University on its own has a large number of alumni that include:
- Barack Obama
- Ben Sasse
- Tom Cotton
- Russ Feingold
- Al Franken
- Dan Sullivan (GOP Senator)
- Joe Sestak
and probably one of the more important ones in the context of this conversation, Pat Toomey. And that's just looking at a couple from Harvard.

In all honesty, this fear appears to be largely unfounded. Fetterman may flub up and be considered patronizing during the campaign, but nothing about his profile would suggest that voters would find him a fake.

Also, Fetterman as a "rich educated elite"? Really? Come on man. By this definition almost any candidate the Democrats run would be considered a "rich educated elite".
Based on the fact that he hasn't actually won a remotely competitive race in PA before, he won a primary where the vote was split 4 ways on the back of strong regional support in Pittsburgh and Western PA. He was carried by tom wolf to an easy election in 2018 given they ran on the same ticket and has had no other electoral experience

He's an online left-wingers with standard progressive democratic policies except some moderation on guns, with his opening campagin pitch being about racial injustice and DACA. He's got a lot of fans among people partisan democrats who will always vote blue no matter what but not much other signs of crossover support.

Frankly the idea that just his appearance is enough to win back WWC votes is stupid and similar to the fantasies republcian have about their own minoirty candidates able to get them to overperform among minoirty voters.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2021, 09:46:36 AM »

It is absolutely silly to think Fetterman is “faking” populist credentials just because he went to Harvard. The guy went on to become Mayor of a small industrial city and did his damndest to help revitalize it. He has walked the walk both before and after going to Harvard. He’s not some Pete Buttigieg type who wants you to think he’s some genius with all the answers—he gets in the trenches for what he believes in, and he actually believes in what he talks about.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2021, 09:51:08 AM »

It is absolutely silly to think Fetterman is “faking” populist credentials just because he went to Harvard. The guy went on to become Mayor of a small industrial city and did his damndest to help revitalize it. He has walked the walk both before and after going to Harvard. He’s not some Pete Buttigieg type who wants you to think he’s some genius with all the answers—he gets in the trenches for what he believes in, and he actually believes in what he talks about.
Ok what prevents the republican from sticking that messaging to him, run ads about his wealthy background and about his left-wing policies, how will he respond to the ads calling him a phony ?
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »

Ok what prevents the republican from sticking that messaging to him, run ads about his wealthy background and about his left-wing policies, how will he respond to the ads calling him a phony ?

He didn’t have a “wealthy” background. He grew up middle class and has always been middle class. He can respond by saying it was easier for a kid like him to get into Harvard back in the 80s because he didn’t have to worry about going into extreme debt or choosing between college and supporting his family because college has become prohibitively expensive for kids without actually rich parents. He can even talk about the white privilege afforded to kids who grow up middle class who can go to good schools but not minority students because of systemic racism. There, I just knocked out 2 of his main campaign talking points in response to one (dumb) attack ad.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »

Yeah this is also absolute rubbish when you look at the jobs he took after college.

Most of the actual phonies (see Ted Cruz) go to Harvard, clerk for a Surpeme Court Justice, get some low-level job in the federal government or a campaign and then return to where they were born and talk about their childhood when they want to run for office.

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »

He didn’t have a “wealthy” background. He grew up middle class and has always been middle class. He can respond by saying it was easier for a kid like him to get into Harvard back in the 80s because he didn’t have to worry about going into extreme debt or choosing between college and supporting his family because college has become prohibitively expensive for kids without actually rich parents. He can even talk about the white privilege afforded to kids who grow up middle class who can go to good schools but not minority students because of systemic racism. There, I just knocked out 2 of his main campaign talking points in response to one (dumb) attack ad.
yeah because mentioning white privilege is going to go down so well in the WWC areas he's strong in.

Also, like the man literally did not have an income while being mayor of Braddock and was entirely supported by family money.  Imagine the ads accusing him of being a trust-fund baby, let alone attacks on him creating a welfare state in Braddock by giving away houses and a whisper campagin against his wife for being an undocumented immigrant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisele_Barreto_Fetterman
https://www.post-gazette.com/local/east/2015/12/18/Fetterman-s-finances-attract-attention/stories/201512180168
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies