PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:37:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 287587 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: November 30, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2021, 06:19:25 PM by The Pieman »

Dr Oz looks to be running a populist campaign around lowering drug/prescription costs and standing up to the Washington establishment, while still having the appearance of a moderate. That's the best campaign he could possibly run, and with high name recognition he's a shoe-in for the primary and general.
Taking a look at his website, he talks about education and stopping jobs from being shipped to China. Oz is literally the best candidate Republicans could ask for.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1551 on: November 30, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »

Wow, great intro ad. If the rest of his campaign stays at this level, this race moves to Likely R in this environment.

Opposite take, that was painful to listen to.

It seemed very generic to me. Washington doesn't work, I am an embodiment of the American dream, etc. The outsider lane is typically a good one, as long as he is perceived as moderate. Right-wing (by perception) outsiders haven't had the best success (Trump 2020, any of the far-right tear-down-the-system people in the last 15 years from the GOP), but moderately conservative outsiders do (Trump 2016, Perot).
Oh I just find him very difficult to listen to, his cadence and voice.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1552 on: November 30, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »

Dr Oz looks to be running a populist campaign around lowering drug/prescription costs and standing up to the Washington establishment, while still having the appearance of a moderate. That's the best campaign he could possibly run, and with high name recognition he's a shoe-in for the primary and general.
Taking a look at his website, he talks about education and stopping jobs from being shipped to China. Oz is literally the best candidate Republicans could ask for.

Wow, populism, lowering drug costs, standing up to the establishment, pretending to be a moderate, advocating for education and against outsourcing. Truly distinctive. He's clearly willing to take the road less travelled here.

Anyway, everyone needs to chill out. I don't think that this one announcement ad shows us anything, really, it seemed pretty generic to me. (If anything, it reminded me of some of David Perdue's ads, but the difference between those and Loeffler's laughable Attila the Hun ads only netted Perdue less than a point over Loeffler, and he had already been elected statewide.) I guarantee there will be drama in this race soon so there's no need to pretend like Oz is either God's git to Republicans or Roy Moore 2.0 just yet.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1553 on: November 30, 2021, 07:07:59 PM »

I still think Fetterman will have an easier time defining himself as an outsider than Dr. Oz, if that’s the route this campaign takes.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1554 on: November 30, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »

I still think Fetterman will have an easier time defining himself as an outsider than Dr. Oz, if that’s the route this campaign takes.
I doubt the incumbent lieutenant governor can appear to be more of an outsider than a TV show host.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1555 on: November 30, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »

People say his being Muslim and a Turk will harm him but will it?  I admit I don’t follow his show but I thought he was of some vague Eastern European ancestry.  I’m sure there will be a few people that vote against him based on his religion but I honestly don’t see that being the deciding factor in this election.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1556 on: November 30, 2021, 07:48:51 PM »

If he's running as a Youngkin style candidate- a mix of populism while not pissing off suburbanites, he's definitely a strong contender.

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1557 on: November 30, 2021, 07:51:19 PM »

I doubt the incumbent lieutenant governor can appear to be more of an outsider than a TV show host.
Being a political “outsider” and actually not having political experience are two entirely separate things. Ted Cruz used to be an “outsider”
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1558 on: November 30, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »

New Jersey's Progressive Fighter. Honestly, I think New Jersey Democrats should shut up.

I think you should take your own advice.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1559 on: November 30, 2021, 08:48:09 PM »

He just published an op-ed in the Washington Examiner announcing his candidacy.

Edit: Just read it. It's about 8 paragraphs of nonsense. Half of it is patting himself on the back for having a TV show, half of it is vague fist-shaking at "The Elites" for shuttering the country during the pandemic (which he also acknowledges killed a lot of people)

He praises the vaccines (which he specifically gives credit to Trump for) so that means he's going nowhere with the Trumpists. If he touts the vaccine on the campaign trail, he's screwed.

Lazy article from a guy who clearly knows nothing about Pennsylvania or policy in general and is doing this as a clear publicity stunt.
I think his legal name Mehmed Oz and the fact that he admits to being muslim is going to screw him far more.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1560 on: November 30, 2021, 08:58:51 PM »

People say his being Muslim and a Turk will harm him but will it?  I admit I don’t follow his show but I thought he was of some vague Eastern European ancestry.  I’m sure there will be a few people that vote against him based on his religion but I honestly don’t see that being the deciding factor in this election.

He does have to run in a Republican primary. His faith and ethnicity will absolutely, 100% be used against him.

Coupled with the fact that he's running a very moderate campaign, I really do not see him winning a GOP primary in this day and age.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1561 on: November 30, 2021, 09:28:30 PM »

Oz could beat Fetterman and peel off Black voters, a lot of Black people watch his show and if Fetterman's scandal with the gun and the Black jogger emerges again, Fetterman could be in a lot of problems.

For the love of all that is holy, stop making everything about race.

Race is a big deal in this country. Deal with it or get lost.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1562 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »

Can’t wait until Dr. Oz wins the GE by more than the "reasonable", "centrist", "bipartisan", well-mannered old-school Republican Pat Toomey — this would be even more hilarious than Toomey underperforming the "unelectable extremist" Ron Johnson in 2016.

However, even if this happens, people will keep clinging to their "we need uncontroversial moderates to win in tough seats" theories because if there’s one thing that’s been made abundantly clear in the last few years, it’s that people refuse to learn no matter what.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1563 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:48 PM »

Very tentatively endorsed.
kwabbit

« Reply #1564 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:48 PM »

Can’t wait until Dr. Oz wins the GE by more than the "reasonable", "centrist", "bipartisan", well-mannered old-school Republican Pat Toomey — this would be even more hilarious than Toomey underperforming the "unelectable extremist" Ron Johnson in 2016.

However, even if this happens, people will keep clinging to their "we need uncontroversial moderates to win in tough seats" theories because if there’s one thing that’s been made abundantly clear in the last few years, it’s that people refuse to learn no matter what.

How did Toomey come to be perceived as a moderate? He ran Club for Growth and is a pretty stereotypical 'kill the poor' type Republican, somewhat similar to Paul Ryan. I don't think Toomey is that strong of a candidate either. He's not charismatic at all, nor do I think he represents a strong position electorally on the ideological spectrum.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1565 on: November 30, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »

https://doctoroz.com/issues/
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1566 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:33 PM »

These are all generic Republican talking points couched in platitudes. As I said: I don’t see a lot of “outsider” rhetoric that’ll really stick based on this website.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1567 on: November 30, 2021, 11:02:07 PM »

Lives in NJ but voted by absentee using his in laws address in PA, according to the party he’s running with that’s FRAUD!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1568 on: November 30, 2021, 11:02:12 PM »

Oz is gonna have a difficult time winning with Josh Shapiro on the ballot it Tilts D

A Neutral Environment PA by Cook leans D 4 pts
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1569 on: November 30, 2021, 11:06:53 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2021, 11:16:45 PM by Roll Roons »

As for a candidate less exciting than Dr. Oz, former congressman Keith Rothfus, last seen losing to Conor Lamb by double digits in 2018, is reportedly considering:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1570 on: November 30, 2021, 11:19:41 PM »

B list celebrities 🤝 The Republican Party

Name a more famous duo

Running Senate candidates in states they don't live in?

Oz lives in New Jersey.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1571 on: November 30, 2021, 11:28:37 PM »

I know so many people have made this joke, but as a New Jerseyan, I am honored that Pennsylvania wants to give us an extra Senator, at their expense.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1572 on: December 01, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »

It's pretty wild that the most likely nominee before dropped out and now Oz is somewhat likely to be the nominee, despite just moving to PA and having a questionable past politically (like Trump).

If he wins, he'd be the first Republican Muslim Senator, or Republican Muslim in Congress period.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1573 on: December 01, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »

It's pretty wild that the most likely nominee before dropped out and now Oz is somewhat likely to be the nominee, despite just moving to PA and having a questionable past politically (like Trump).

If he wins, he'd be the first Republican Muslim Senator, or Republican Muslim in Congress period.

People really need to realize that other GOP candidates like Sands and Rothfus will jump in, and Oz will lose momentum if only because of the inevitable nasty attacks claiming he's a "scary muslim" or something along those lines.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1574 on: December 01, 2021, 08:47:26 AM »

People really need to realize that other GOP candidates like Sands and Rothfus will jump in, and Oz will lose momentum if only because of the inevitable nasty attacks claiming he's a "scary muslim" or something along those lines.

Here's the thing. I had to do some digging before even finding that out. Nobody would know he's a Muslim just by looking at him (or Turkish, for that matter), so I don't think those "nasty attacks" would land even if they're made, of which the likelihood will be overestimated by Democrats who want the anti-Muslim portrayal of Republicans. He's got a populist doctor schtick going for him that I think many base Republican voters will like.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies