PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 284278 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »

Is Guy Reschenthaler the PA GOP’s strongest candidate? Fitzpatrick and Costello can’t win a primary, and Kelly, Perry, Mastriano have no chance in the general.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »

Watch everyone hype up titanium candidate Fetterman, only for him to lose to generic R by about one percent.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:59 PM »

Watch everyone hype up titanium candidate Fetterman, only for him to lose to generic R by about one percent.

Tbf, that's about where I land right now in rating this race, as much as I like Fetterman and would be super happy to campaign and vote for him. But I still think there's a chance he can overcome midterm headwinds and win the seat by a couple percentage points. We'll just have to see how the field and race develops.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2021, 08:08:26 PM »

Yeah, prior to the runoffs, we really didn't perform that well in Senate races and this was when Biden was winning by 4 points. Ditto for 2018 and 2016. If we're barely scraping by now, what will happen if Republicans manage to reverse that and we get an R+4 environment? PA only barely went for Biden, and Republicans won the House popular vote there.

Maybe this guy can stitch together a winning coalition, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've gotten burned too many times over the past 4+ years when it comes to the Senate.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »

I think John Fetterman would be the best Democratic candidate.

For the Republicans, they should really run Charlie Dent but he might not win the primary.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2021, 01:04:53 AM »

Anyone else think Shapiro would be better for senate and Fetterman for governor or is that just me?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2021, 04:37:09 AM »

Anyone else think Shapiro would be better for senate and Fetterman for governor or is that just me?

Perfectly understandable and arguable, tbh.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2021, 06:20:24 AM »

Perfectly understandable and arguable, tbh.

Hm, I think Shapiro is good either way, bc he could survive a more partisan race (Senate) given his performance this year. But Shapiro just feels to make sense for Governor, and I think a less partisan race could help him run it up even more. Meanwhile, while Shaprio clearly does have a lot of appeal given his performance this year, Fetterman just seems like the better candidate in the Senate race.

I'm not sure I can explain it well, but personally it just feels right with Shapiro as gov and Fetterman as Senate
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »

I mean as I see it they're both great.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2021, 08:19:20 AM »

Agreed completely
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »

Fetterman and Shapiro are great candidates. Fetterman has run for Senate previously so I think he is kind of doing a "revenge tour" as it were by running for this seat again. Shapiro has been a brilliant AG and seems to have masterful command of PA-specific laws, which would aid him well as Governor. Not to say that Fetterman doesn't and he has absolutely built his brand around being "The Big Dude from Braddock" but he seems to have a much greater focus on a national agenda--M4A, legal weed, etc.--than Shapiro does. They're both great future candidates for POTUS as well Wink
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »

Fetterman and Shapiro are great candidates. Fetterman has run for Senate previously so I think he is kind of doing a "revenge tour" as it were by running for this seat again. Shapiro has been a brilliant AG and seems to have masterful command of PA-specific laws, which would aid him well as Governor. Not to say that Fetterman doesn't and he has absolutely built his brand around being "The Big Dude from Braddock" but he seems to have a much greater focus on a national agenda--M4A, legal weed, etc.--than Shapiro does. They're both great future candidates for POTUS as well Wink

I've always thought this about Shapiro so I'm happy others agree. In the event of a Democratic defeat in 2024. Shapiro 2028!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »

This is a good point as well. Shapiro just screams less partisanship and hasn't really been *as* involved with the national agenda as Fetterman has, so that makes both of their paths make even more sense to me.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:04 AM »

Fitzpatrick has already filed to run for re-election to the House. Of course he could yet change his plans, especially if he’s drawn a tougher district, but maybe that’s an indication of his current thinking.

https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/H6PA08277/1482646/
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2021, 11:37:55 AM »

Follow me on Twitter for more PA memes and John Fetterman content

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:03 PM »

Cartwright seems like a better bet at this point
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

Follow me on Twitter for more PA memes and John Fetterman content

If he makes that his slogan, he will lose Allegheny County (but obv will win Lancaster)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »

Fetterman should run for Governor.

He can keep PA blue.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:42 PM »

It would probably be smarter to elevate Cartwright given the state of his district, and I like him, but I doubt he beats Fetterman in a primary. The Scranton area can't exactly compete with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »

It would probably be smarter to elevate Cartwright given the state of his district, and I like him, but I doubt he beats Fetterman in a primary. The Scranton area can't exactly compete with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Fetterman isn't going to be the candidate of choice for Philly or its suburbs; he'll get killed there in the primary.  I'm not saying Cartwright will do any better, but the point stands.  I also don't think it's clear that Fetterman would wipe the floor with Cartwright in the Pittsburgh area.  He might, but it's not a given.  Lamb would certainly beat Fetterman there if he runs.  Fetterman is also pretty untested and while he may well prove to be a really strong candidate, right now there's not much to back up all the hype. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2021, 01:42:59 PM »

Fetterman isn't going to be the candidate of choice for Philly or its suburbs; he'll get killed there in the primary.  I'm not saying Cartwright will do any better, but the point stands.  I also don't think it's clear that Fetterman would wipe the floor with Cartwright in the Pittsburgh area.  He might, but it's not a given.  Lamb would certainly beat Fetterman there if he runs.  Fetterman is also pretty untested and while he may well prove to be a really strong candidate, right now there's not much to back up all the hype. 

You're right, but I don't think Fetterman is going to get a substantial challenge. Shapiro, darling of the Philadelphia suburbs is probably going for the governorship. Lamb I don't buy is running, and maybe Houlahan runs, but I don't think she can beat Fetterman. Cartwright's base is the Scranton area, and I don't buy that he could draw serious support in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Fetterman running probably means Wolf is behind him privately anyway.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »

Wasn't Lamb's house seat closer than people expected?

He's also of the age where he could easily jump to another state wide office later on, or just retire and wait for it to come up...
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »

He's also of the age where he could easily jump to another state wide office later on, or just retire and wait for it to come up...

Lamb should try and go for AG when Shapiro (hopefully) is elected Governor.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »

Too much of a downgrade for Lamb. I assume he'd only take that post as a last resort.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2021, 04:23:40 PM »

Too much of a downgrade for Lamb. I assume he'd only take that post as a last resort.
Thoughts on a Cartwright Senate campaign?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies