IA-SEN 2022: Grassley vs Franken
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:52:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2022: Grassley vs Franken
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2022: Grassley vs Franken  (Read 26823 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 02, 2022, 05:50:09 PM »

I went to college in Sioux County. Franken was born there, but now lives in Sioux City, which is extremely different from Sioux County. Even though it's not a big city by any stretch of the imagination, it is very city-like vs Sioux County. So his being a Dem is not all that shocking.

Also, partly due to the two liberal arts colleges in Sioux County, there is a very active Democratic party in the county, though I would say a majority are from elsewhere who have made the county their home for various reasons (not all are faculty), so a current Sioux County Democrat running for office wouldn't be completely unbelievable, either.
walleye26

« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2022, 08:57:08 PM »

I went to college in Sioux County. Franken was born there, but now lives in Sioux City, which is extremely different from Sioux County. Even though it's not a big city by any stretch of the imagination, it is very city-like vs Sioux County. So his being a Dem is not all that shocking.

Also, partly due to the two liberal arts colleges in Sioux County, there is a very active Democratic party in the county, though I would say a majority are from elsewhere who have made the county their home for various reasons (not all are faculty), so a current Sioux County Democrat running for office wouldn't be completely unbelievable, either.

Do you think Franken could narrow the massive GOP edge in the area just a little bit?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #452 on: November 02, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »

Is Franken any good at retail politics ? his upset victory in the primary makes me suspect he's good at it.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #453 on: November 03, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »

Do you think Franken could narrow the massive GOP edge in the area just a little bit?

No, not really, unfortunately.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #454 on: November 03, 2022, 01:36:24 PM »

I mean, Scholten did. I guess that was purely anti-King though?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #455 on: November 03, 2022, 02:14:11 PM »

I mean, Scholten did. I guess that was purely anti-King though?

Yeah, it's difficult to see Grassley generating the same level of antipathy as King.
SCNCmod

« Reply #456 on: November 03, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »

Is Franken any good at retail politics ? his upset victory in the primary makes me suspect he's good at it.

I don't think he is necessarily great at what we generally think of as retail politics.  But i think he is good if her has the time to let voters get to know him/ and his sort of professorial disposition (then I think his sheer competence comes through and impresses voters...Iowa is one of the few states where this is possible.

But overall he has sort if a perfect storm-
1) the race has been under the radar- giving him space to run a grassroots campaign
2) Grassley turning 90 and having his 1st under water approval rating- have both provided the first opening to a possible Grassley defeat.
3) Franken is the perfect foil to take advantage of Grassley's weakness (bc for ppl who think Grassley is finally too old- Franken has the Gravitas to win those voters).
SCNCmod

« Reply #457 on: November 03, 2022, 08:43:54 PM »

This is Franken's latest ad- which i assume may be his closing ad:
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #458 on: November 03, 2022, 09:31:24 PM »

ooooofff

Grassley would probably lose in an R midterm at this point.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2022, 09:41:57 PM »

ooooofff

Grassley would probably lose in an R midterm at this point.

Next, we’ll be hearing about how the Underground Railroad was the greatest infrastructure program of all time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #460 on: November 03, 2022, 10:07:34 PM »

I just realized that Grassley was already 52 when emo was created. Holy sh!t.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #461 on: November 03, 2022, 10:09:17 PM »

Are you familiar with this band?

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: November 03, 2022, 11:43:08 PM »

No, but that's definitely not my type of music & I can't really make out anything about the band members.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #463 on: November 04, 2022, 05:08:34 AM »

Franken actually seems to have a really solid campaign now that I've looked properly. He won't win this year, but I could definitely see him having a future in state politics. The one thing I'd change in his current campaign is: I'd change him from not attacking Grassley much to almost not attacking him at all - go full Peltola. No attacks except the occasional vague "it's time for a new generation to represent Iowa/time for something new/etc" kind of stuff, which is so indirect that it only barely even counts as an attack, and wouldn't count at all if not for Grassley's age. Somehow attacking Grassley directly feels "tasteless" even in our hyperpolarized times, and I suspect Iowa voters are more sensitive to that sort of thing than most.

Thoughts from our resident Atlas Iowans?
SCNCmod

« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »

I'm not an Iowian.. and I too would be curious to see if they think either campaign has been seen as negative...

my guess is they would say that Franken has not been viewed as negative towards Grassley (any more so than the accepted amount that any campaign has to point out differences/ faults). And probably most would say the same about Grassley to Franken.  Overall it seems civil- focusing on different policies, not overly negative ad campaign (at least by the candidates) etc.
SCNCmod

« Reply #465 on: November 05, 2022, 10:39:31 PM »

Sioux City Journal decides for the first time... to not endorse Chuck Grassley. (Endorsing Mike Franken Instead).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #466 on: November 05, 2022, 11:32:20 PM »

Yeah Grassley will win pretty comfortably but his days of massive overperformances are over.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #467 on: November 06, 2022, 07:51:00 AM »

Sioux City Journal decides for the first time... to not endorse Chuck Grassley. (Endorsing Mike Franken Instead).

They still endorsed Reynolds and Feenstra, so I'm assuming it's a rebuke of Grassley due to his age. Moreover, Franken is from that region of the state, if I'm not mistaken, so it may also be a reflection of support for the "native son".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #468 on: November 06, 2022, 08:33:38 AM »

Gross
walleye26

« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2022, 09:17:07 PM »

I really wonder if Franken can narrow the margins in places like Sioux County and Northwestern Iowa then this could get interesting, since that was like 85% Trump in 2020.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2022, 11:59:49 PM »

I really wonder if Franken can narrow the margins in places like Sioux County and Northwestern Iowa then this could get interesting, since that was like 85% Trump in 2020.
I doubt it. More likely is he'll just pull Biden numbers in the urban areas.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies