S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:52:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D]  (Read 724 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »

To provide a bit of context, as in other regions I'm prepared to implement legislative changes to electoral systems or electoral norms into the NPC election process (have done this by now simulating RCV in Lincoln).

It is important to note that due to a lack of specification, I consider the South's voting system for State Representatives and Senators to be STV - this is specified on the Rules thread - as that seems to be either the actual system used to elect regional delegates or the closest possible thing, whereas for Mayors and Governors FPTP applies (unlike both Fremont and Lincoln, now using RCV).

Lincoln has the specific method of allowing states to either use IRV or choose other electoral systems (PR list, MMP or STV), which I simulate by rolling dice on each state up for election at the start of the month. If such a mechanism is used here, I will roll the dice for each southern state up for election and subsequently allocate a system.

I am trying not to interfere too much with regional legislation, but I do ask that regions try to choose methods which are somewhat easier to simulate or at least are very clearly explained in terms of legislation (and do remember English is still my second language despite all these years of practice).

On that specific matter, I have some suggestions:

-I would request giving "approval voting" some thought because I can't quite see how to simulate that one, might pose a significant logistical challenge.

-Would be ideal if the precise method for mayor or governor was clarified in a separate manner from legislative elections, just so things are absolutely clear.

-Would request a more straightforward rule in terms of Section 2.4, as it seems a bit confusing (bear in mind all Southern legislatures are bicameral).

I also have another point to raise which may or may not be of interest:

-Due to not being specified by legislation, the current legislative seats for each Southern state match their OTL state legislatures (ex: if today's Mississippi State Senate as X seats, then the Atlasian version also has the same number of seats). Other states have either allocated precise numbers (Lincoln) or come up with guidelines to calculate (Fremont). This is not a necessary thing, but if the South wants to, they're perfectly entitled to also look into this issue in case they want something specific implemented.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »

Not a Southerner, but out of curiosity will these laws take effect before or after the next round of NPC elections, assuming they're passed in the interim between now and the campaigning deadline?

If it's signed into law before the deadline, I'll acknowledge the changes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies