S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:47:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.4.2 - Local Voting System Reform Act [LAW'D]  (Read 667 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2020, 12:04:11 AM by KoopaDaQuick »

A BILL FOR AN ACT
modifying how local elections in the Southern Region work

BE IT ENACTED BY THE SOUTHERN CHAMBER RESOLVED.

Section 1, TITLE AND CLARIFICATIONS.
1. The title of this Act shall be, the "Local Voting System Reform Act."
2. This bill shall apply to elections for all offices in the Southern Region.
3. 'First past the post' refers to an electoral system in which a candidate is selected by achievement of a plurality of voters, with each voter getting exactly one vote per office.
4. A 'majority' of votes shall consist of at least 50% of total amount of remaining votes plus one.

Section 2, TEXT.
1. No election in the Southern Region shall be permitted to use the first past the post voting system.
2. §2.1 of this Act shall be null and void if the election in question contains only two candidates with no write-in option given.
3. Unless another voting system is explicitly chosen by state law that complies with regional law, each jurisdiction in the Southern Region, including state and city governments, that holds municipal elections shall be permitted to choose from one of three voting systems mentioned in §2.3a, §2.3b, and §2.3c of this Act to use when counting a certain election.
   a. Instant-runoff voting; Voters rank the listed candidates on the ballot in order of preference, starting at 1 and then counting up to whatever number they please. If no candidate attains a majority, the lowest-placing candidate shall have their votes redistributed among the remaining candidates. This cycle shall repeat until a candidate wins a majority of the vote, where the candidate in question wins.
   b. Approval voting; A list of candidates shall be provided to the voter. The voter in question may vote for any and all candidates that they approve of. Once the votes are tallied, whoever has the most votes of approval wins the election.
   c. Proportional representation; This voting system is to be used in legislative elections. Instead of candidates, the voter is given a list of parties. The voter shall cast their ballot for a party of their choice. Parties gain seats in proportion to the number of votes cast for them. It is up to the party to decide who shall fill each seat.
4. If a state's legislature is bicameral, then they are permitted to have the upper house use proportional representation, but the lower house must elect the members of its chamber via local elections in representative districts.
5. This Act shall take effect immediately after final enactment, and all elections held after this Act's passage, even if still in campaigning season, shall be affected.

Sponsor: KoopaDaQuick (Peace - Arkansas)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 10:37:01 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

fptp is cringe and this bill offers alternatives that governments under our region's authority can use if they wish

At least 48 hours for debate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 11:09:56 PM »

Just to be clear, this would only play to NPC elections, not to our official regional elections?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »

Just to be clear, this would only play to NPC elections, not to our official regional elections?

Pretty much, yeah. Although I don't see how this would affect anything as we don't use FPTP.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »

FPTP provides cover for corruption, systemic racism, and cronyism.  We might as well require land ownership to be eligible to run for office.

As the newest member of this chamber, I strongly support this bill.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »

To provide a bit of context, as in other regions I'm prepared to implement legislative changes to electoral systems or electoral norms into the NPC election process (have done this by now simulating RCV in Lincoln).

It is important to note that due to a lack of specification, I consider the South's voting system for State Representatives and Senators to be STV - this is specified on the Rules thread - as that seems to be either the actual system used to elect regional delegates or the closest possible thing, whereas for Mayors and Governors FPTP applies (unlike both Fremont and Lincoln, now using RCV).

Lincoln has the specific method of allowing states to either use IRV or choose other electoral systems (PR list, MMP or STV), which I simulate by rolling dice on each state up for election at the start of the month. If such a mechanism is used here, I will roll the dice for each southern state up for election and subsequently allocate a system.

I am trying not to interfere too much with regional legislation, but I do ask that regions try to choose methods which are somewhat easier to simulate or at least are very clearly explained in terms of legislation (and do remember English is still my second language despite all these years of practice).

On that specific matter, I have some suggestions:

-I would request giving "approval voting" some thought because I can't quite see how to simulate that one, might pose a significant logistical challenge.

-Would be ideal if the precise method for mayor or governor was clarified in a separate manner from legislative elections, just so things are absolutely clear.

-Would request a more straightforward rule in terms of Section 2.4, as it seems a bit confusing (bear in mind all Southern legislatures are bicameral).

I also have another point to raise which may or may not be of interest:

-Due to not being specified by legislation, the current legislative seats for each Southern state match their OTL state legislatures (ex: if today's Mississippi State Senate as X seats, then the Atlasian version also has the same number of seats). Other states have either allocated precise numbers (Lincoln) or come up with guidelines to calculate (Fremont). This is not a necessary thing, but if the South wants to, they're perfectly entitled to also look into this issue in case they want something specific implemented.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 12:33:51 AM »

Not a Southerner, but out of curiosity will these laws take effect before or after the next round of NPC elections, assuming they're passed in the interim between now and the campaigning deadline?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »

Not a Southerner, but out of curiosity will these laws take effect before or after the next round of NPC elections, assuming they're passed in the interim between now and the campaigning deadline?

If it's signed into law before the deadline, I'll acknowledge the changes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »

I'm not sure this is something I can get behind for a couple reasons. I think the biggest impact (and only real impact) this has is with the NPC elections, so I'd rather keep one uniform system throughout the region for elections that are part of NPC to create easier work for Lumine.

Any other downballot races, though, I don't see why the regional government should be placing restrictions on what voting system they use. They should be able to make that decision without regional interference. I rather don't like options 2 and 3 at all and would be huge deviations from current systems, so this would basically be giving people one "familiar" choice. If an entity wants to use the system that elects whoever wins a plurality (which 95% of US elections do) I don't think we should restrict that.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »

Any other downballot races, though, I don't see why the regional government should be placing restrictions on what voting system they use. They should be able to make that decision without regional interference. I rather don't like options 2 and 3 at all and would be huge deviations from current systems, so this would basically be giving people one "familiar" choice. If an entity wants to use the system that elects whoever wins a plurality (which 95% of US elections do) I don't think we should restrict that.

Okay, does anyone else have any qualifications about this and how we can amend it?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »

I'm not sure this is something I can get behind for a couple reasons. I think the biggest impact (and only real impact) this has is with the NPC elections, so I'd rather keep one uniform system throughout the region for elections that are part of NPC to create easier work for Lumine.

I concur with these points
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

With respect to the author, I'm not sure of an amendment I could support without drastically altering the intent of the bill.

-Would be ideal if the precise method for mayor or governor was clarified in a separate manner from legislative elections, just so things are absolutely clear.

Per Lumine's comments above, I would be supportive of specifying how various races are to be elected for NPC elections, but beyond that, I don't support any changes to the status quo on the subject.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »

A BILL FOR AN ACT

3. 'First past the post' refers to an electoral system in which a candidate is selected by achievement of a plurality of voters, with each voter getting exactly one vote per office.
4. A 'majority' of votes shall consist of at least 50% of total amount of remaining votes plus one.

Section 2, TEXT.
1. No election in the Southern Region shall be permitted to use the first past the post voting system.
2. §2.1 of this Act shall be null and void if the election in question contains only two candidates with no write-in option given.

31. Unless another voting system is explicitly chosen by statewide or municipal law that complies with regional law, all elections for mayor, governor, and other executive offices on a subregional level shall be conducted using instant runoff voting.each jurisdiction in the Southern Region, including state and city governments, that holds municipal elections shall be permitted to choose from one of three voting systems mentioned in §2.3a, §2.3b, and §2.3c of this Act to use when counting a certain election.
   a. Instant-runoff voting; Voters rank the listed candidates on the ballot in order of preference, starting at 1 and then counting up to whatever number they please. If no candidate attains a majority, the lowest-placing candidate shall have their votes redistributed among the remaining candidates. This cycle shall repeat until a candidate wins a majority of the vote, where the candidate in question wins.
   b. Approval voting; A list of candidates shall be provided to the voter. The voter in question may vote for any and all candidates that they approve of. Once the votes are tallied, whoever has the most votes of approval wins the election.
   c. Proportional representation; This voting system is to be used in legislative elections. Instead of candidates, the voter is given a list of parties. The voter shall cast their ballot for a party of their choice. Parties gain seats in proportion to the number of votes cast for them. It is up to the party to decide who shall fill each seat.
4. If a state's legislature is bicameral, then they are permitted to have the upper house use proportional representation, but the lower house must elect the members of its chamber via local elections in representative districts.

52. This Act shall take effect immediately after final enactment, and all elections held after this Act's passage, even if still in campaigning season, shall be affected.

Decided to get rid of some of the useless crud in this bill and focus on my true intent, making sure most subregional elections are conducted by a voting system better than FPTP, in this case IRV. I don't care about legislative elections, they can be conducted how Lumine pleases. I personally wanna copy Lincoln and do party-list proportional representation, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Anywho, 24 hours for objections.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 09:42:47 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

The amendment passes.

Current text:

A BILL FOR AN ACT

Section 2, TEXT.
1. Unless another voting system is explicitly chosen by statewide or municipal law, all elections for mayor, governor, and other executive offices on a subregional level shall be conducted using instant runoff voting.
2. This Act shall take effect immediately after final enactment, and all elections held after this Act's passage, even if still in campaigning season, shall be affected.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 12:01:42 AM »

This has my support. I am ready for a final vote.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 12:27:56 AM »

No objection.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 12:31:54 AM »

Gonna drop in again, sorry (I'm involved in NPC campaigns a lot).

Minor realisticity issue - I don't think it'd be possible for a region to unilaterally change voting systems a week before the election, even if the GM could logistically do it. Theoretically, the ballots should already have been sent out (at least according to Fremont's version of this legislation - I'm unfamiliar with the Southern code).

KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 12:37:11 AM »

I object so I can present yet another amendment:

A BILL FOR AN ACT

Section 2, TEXT.
1. Unless another voting system is explicitly chosen by statewide or municipal law, all elections for mayor, governor, and other executive offices on a subregional level shall be conducted using instant runoff voting.
2. This Act shall take effect immediately after final enactment, and all elections held after this Act's passage, even if still in campaigning season, shall be affected. starting with the December 2020 NPC elections.

24 hours.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »

The amendment passes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »

I call for a final vote.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »

24 hours have passed, and I'm actually surprisingly closer to the 24 hour mark than I thought I'd be. Anywho, a final vote on this bill shall commence. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN. Voting shall end in 72 hours or whenever all delegates have voted.

A BILL FOR AN ACT

Section 2, TEXT.
2. This Act shall take effect starting with the December 2020 NPC elections.

Aye
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 10:27:40 PM »

AYE
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick