How big will Nicole Galloway Lose by in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How big will Nicole Galloway Lose by in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
She will win narrow

0-5% Loss

5.1-10% loss

10.1-15% loss

15.1 or over loss.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: How big will Nicole Galloway Lose by in 2022?  (Read 1898 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »

Ill go with option 4. Unless Saundra McDowell is nominated.

State Auditor of Missouri up for re-election.

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »

I think she'll win.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »

Less than 10% give or take
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »

Closer to 10% than 5%. I'll go with 8.6 for now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »

Galloway will win reelection in 2022

Nikki Fried and Nicole Galloway will win their races respectively.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 10:55:05 PM by Taking the D out of Driftless :( »

Isn't she term-limited now because of the new ballot measure?

I guarantee that was targeted at her.

Edit: Just realized this was my 2000th post. Oh well, lol.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:29:47 PM »

Isn't she term-limited now because of the new ballot measure?

That failed.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 09:45:43 PM by Taking the D out of Driftless :( »

Wait, what? How did that fail? I mean, I'm glad it did, but wow. I did not see that coming.

I think it's too early to know. 2022 will lack the Trumpist turnout surge, but the national environment will probably be more R than 2018.

There is a winning D coalition in Missouri under the current alignment. It consists of winning ALL the suburbs (Springfield is the real key), pulling back WWC areas (Buchanan + the Leadbelt), and cutting rural margins as much as possible (particularly along the river).

So far, she is the only person who has ever been able to hold this coalition together long enough to win. Kander came close in 2016, but fell short in suburbs, particularly Springfield.

This is very similar to this year's Yes on Medicaid expansion coalition, so it seems that it is not a 2018 fluke and can be replicated.

If she can match her 2018 performance, she can in theory withstand a national environment as low as D+2. Beyond that, it'll mostly depend on her opponent, I think. She could probably beat McDowell again, but I'm not sure who else would be that weak, or who else would even run.

I have to wonder if she might be better off running for Senate though? It'll depend on the national environment, but if Ds don't win it this year, a heavily populist campaign against a "do-nothing Senate" could be pretty interesting, especially against as weak and "do-nothing" of an opponent as Roy Blunt.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:08 AM »

One third of respondents think she will prevail ?! Probably the same people who believed that she would win the Gov race.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 06:54:17 AM »

One third of respondents think she will prevail ?! Probably the same people who believed that she would win the Gov race.

Of course she could prevail. Would not be the first or last time a down ballot incumbent has failed big at a higher office and goes on to win reelection in their down ballot post.

There is a history of that in Missouri with Margaret Kelly who was a GOP Auditor when Missouri was dominated by Democrats.

But Galloway has a very uphill hail mary climb in 2022.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 07:30:24 AM »

Probably low double digits. Her running for Governor will probably hurt her.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »

Double digits
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 07:15:18 PM »

I've been wondering if there's a chance she might step down to run for state senate district 19 rather than face reelection in 2022. SD 19 encompasses Boone and Cooper counties, and I imagine that after redistricting it will just be coterminous with Boone County since population growth will allow for the excision of heavily Republican Cooper County.

SD 19 is currently represented by Republican Caleb Rowden, the state senate majority leader. Boone County is trending left too quickly for somebody overseeing and shepherding legislation passed by the very right wing state legislature to survive for much longer. Galloway has local roots in the area, having been Boone County treasurer for 4 years before being appointed state auditor. If she aggressively went for the seat, she could probably sink Caleb and gain a safe office, almost certainly an easier task than being put up for a statewide referendum again.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 08:41:04 PM »

I've been wondering if there's a chance she might step down to run for state senate district 19 rather than face reelection in 2022. SD 19 encompasses Boone and Cooper counties, and I imagine that after redistricting it will just be coterminous with Boone County since population growth will allow for the excision of heavily Republican Cooper County.

SD 19 is currently represented by Republican Caleb Rowden, the state senate majority leader. Boone County is trending left too quickly for somebody overseeing and shepherding legislation passed by the very right wing state legislature to survive for much longer. Galloway has local roots in the area, having been Boone County treasurer for 4 years before being appointed state auditor. If she aggressively went for the seat, she could probably sink Caleb and gain a safe office, almost certainly an easier task than being put up for a statewide referendum again.

I agree with some of the things you've said, but disagree about some of the rest.

Yes, redistricting is going to take out Cooper County and confine the boundaries of SD 19 to just Boone County by itself, and that change is going to significantly increase the chance of a Democrat getting elected in the next election. But FYI, that next election is not going to be until 2024, whereas Galloway's current term as Auditor ends at the end of 2022. If she chooses not to seek re-election as Auditor, and to run for SD 19 at the next opportunity, she will be twiddling her thumbs for two years in between the two respective elections.

Caleb Rowden is term limited in 2024, so he won't be running for re-election. I imagine state rep. Cheri Toalson Reisch will probably run for the Republicans that year. And if Galloway does try to run for SD19, she might have to compete in the primary with another Democrat or two who might also be interested in running, such as state rep. Martha Stevens, who will also be term limited and ineligible to run for re-election (to the House) in 2024.

To answer the question in the thread, it depends on the caliber of the Republican nominee, so I can't hazard a guess at this time.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »

And if Galloway does try to run for SD19, she might have to compete in the primary with another Democrat or two who might also be interested in running, such as state rep. Martha Stevens, who will also be term limited and ineligible to run for re-election (to the House) in 2024.

Will not be an issue. Galloway will sweep any primary in the state.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »

I agree with some of the things you've said, but disagree about some of the rest.

Yes, redistricting is going to take out Cooper County and confine the boundaries of SD 19 to just Boone County by itself, and that change is going to significantly increase the chance of a Democrat getting elected in the next election. But FYI, that next election is not going to be until 2024, whereas Galloway's current term as Auditor ends at the end of 2022. If she chooses not to seek re-election as Auditor, and to run for SD 19 at the next opportunity, she will be twiddling her thumbs for two years in between the two respective elections.

Caleb Rowden is term limited in 2024, so he won't be running for re-election. I imagine state rep. Cheri Toalson Reisch will probably run for the Republicans that year. And if Galloway does try to run for SD19, she might have to compete in the primary with another Democrat or two who might also be interested in running, such as state rep. Martha Stevens, who will also be term limited and ineligible to run for re-election (to the House) in 2024.

To answer the question in the thread, it depends on the caliber of the Republican nominee, so I can't hazard a guess at this time.

Good points, I forgot that the Missouri senate seats were staggered and term-limited.

So Galloway has nothing to lose by running for Auditor again. If she fails to secure another term, she could always wait until 2024 to run for a state legislature position in Boone County if she wants to keep a political profile going. 
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.50, S: 2.62

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 09:29:58 PM »

If McDonnell is the R nominee: Loses by 9-10 points

Any other R nominee: Loses by 14-15 points
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 09:51:45 PM »

3-5 points somewhere in that ballpark.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 01:10:08 AM »

I don't think Galloway will lose by as much as she did in the gubernatorial election last year, but she is definitely the underdog at this point. I think it's plausible that she loses by around the same margin that Claire McCaskill did in 2018, ~6% or so. And that's because she is the incumbent and its a lower-level office. Galloway will probably only win reelection if faced with a Todd Akin or Roy Moore-tier opponent, and even that may not be enough anymore.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:29 AM »

She'll get blanched.
Pages: [1]